Metalic sound in Greenmantle by John Buchan (solo)

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria »

Hi,

I downloaded the zip file (64kbps mp3) of Greenmantle (Version 2) by John Buchan (reading by Tom Weiss, https://librivox.org/greenmantle-version-2-by-john-buchan/).
After extracting the files, at least chapters 1-4 have a kind of a metalic sound/overtone. I tried listening to the chapter 1 directly on LV website and it also has this sound.
Tried adjusting the equaluzer of the VLC app on my smartphone - but nothing seems to help.

Is the metalic sound really "in" the files? If not, is there anything I can do, on the listener's "side" ?

Thank you!
"When eating an elephant, take one bite at a time."
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

GrownupDaria wrote: May 17th, 2018, 3:59 pm Is the metalic sound really "in" the files?
I hear it, too. I sounds like a bit heavily applied noise reduction. When I began to read for LibriVox, this was sometimes the best you could get out of some (affordable) equipment. Over the last about three years or so development of sound equipment has made a really huge step. Quite good and easy to handle microphones are available now at an acceptable prize.
GrownupDaria wrote: May 17th, 2018, 3:59 pm If not, is there anything I can do, on the listener's "side" ?
Listen to it with not so good earphones or in driving car with noise around you? :oops:

There is another Version of Greenmantle available, maybe you could exchange the metallic chapters in your player:
https://librivox.org/greenmantle-by-john-buchan/
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'm a John Buchan fan and I've listened to Tom's reading of Greenmantle many times - he has a distinctive sound in all his recordings which I don't find a problem - and he's a great story teller, and easy to follow.

Anne
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

annise wrote: May 24th, 2018, 3:35 am and he's a great story teller, and easy to follow.
From what I've heard, I totally have to agree and I feel it's a pity that he doesn't seem to have been around reading for the last four years or so.
I've found a sound sample on his page that doesn't have this wobbly sound and it sounds great to me.
GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria »

moniaqua wrote: May 24th, 2018, 2:03 am Listen to it with not so good earphones or in driving car with noise around you? :oops:

There is another Version of Greenmantle available, maybe you could exchange the metallic chapters in your player:
https://librivox.org/greenmantle-by-john-buchan/
I'm quite shocked. I don't think there are worse headphones than mine! :lol: Their only upside is that they still work (which is something very uncommon - they usually last two weeks max...)

Well, I'll have to skip Greenmantle. Because of my health issues I'm very sensitive to voices and noises and it's difficult for me to listen to collaborative projects so I have to stick to solo. Besides, I've already listened to Mr. Standfast and it will only spoil :(

Thanks!
"When eating an elephant, take one bite at a time."