[OK]Malware: Chemistry Properties & Tests of Precious Stones

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
mjfillen

Post by mjfillen »

:help:
When I go to download this recording I get a warning that it has been identified as containing deceptive software that will harm your system thru phishing, malware, etc. and it won't download unless you force it to download contrary to safety precautions.
https://librivox.org/the-chemistry-properties-and-tests-of-precious-stones-by-john-mastin/
:help:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It's OK. There are threads around about such false messages, but I can't find them at the moment. I'll try to link to one or two when I find them. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

mjfillen

Post by mjfillen »

I have never had it happen before, and no other recording does that. Also, it does that every time I download it (just to see if it was a one time glitch). I was going to upload a picture of the screen that comes up but I guess I would have to upload it to some other place and then put a link here, so its not worth the effort.
Last edited by mjfillen on January 10th, 2017, 1:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Give it a day or two, and it should clear up. It has in the past. :)
mjfillen

Post by mjfillen »

I looked at your viewtopic post, and the message is almost identical except the number is different
"Reported Unwanted Software Page!
This web page at ia801504.us.archive.org has been reported to contain unwanted software and has been blocked based on your security preferences.
Unwanted software pages try to install software that can be deceptive and affect your system in unexpected ways."

The thing that worries me the most is that it could be some pervasive malware that is not detected by normal antvirus-antimalware programs and so it gets triggered to do something awful without people knowing it. And, yes, like a fool I downloaded it anyway and unpacked it, so whatever it might contain is already on my poor computer...
[*weeps piteously*]
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You don't have a virus from the file. I guarantee it.

The alphanumeric part is the server at Archive. There may be malware on that same server, but not in our file. This post explains it better: viewtopic.php?p=1219526#p1219526