[NOT LV] Possible Android App bug report

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
Tale123

Post by Tale123 »

Hi, I'm referring to the Android App "LibriVox Audio Books Free" from Google Play.

I'm running it on Android version 6.0 and most of the time, the App remembers the last position correctly when turning off the phone (standby mode). But it has also happened many times that the App simply jumps to the beginning of the next chapter regardless of where you were in the (previous) chapter.

Since Android 6 is rather quick in terminating background applications to save memory and storage, I assume the App doesn't have the time to log the correct current position inside an e-Book before it is shut down by the operating system.

The bookmark function works and helps but it should be unnecessary if you just want to continue where you left off. Also, when calling up bookmarks it seems that you have to be in the corresponding chapter of the e-book for it to work.

Hope this feedback helps and I'm happy to provide more information if necessary! :)

Thanks,

Tale
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

We have nothing to do with the app, so cannot do anything about this. Please contact the app developer. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Tale123

Post by Tale123 »

TriciaG wrote:We have nothing to do with the app, so cannot do anything about this. Please contact the app developer. :)
Thanks, I will. But are they allowed to use your name and charge for an App upgrade that will get rid of the intermittent acoustic ads? Not trying to stir up any trouble but it looks like you are doing all the work while they reap the benefits.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=biz.bookdesign.librivox&hl=en

This App definitely fooled me into thinking it was the official Librivox App and I was about to pay for the upgrade thinking I would support this project with it.

Also, have you ever thought about creating your own App? The mobile market is massive now and I think people are more inclined to listed to audio books on the go or when going to bed. I'm not sure how many people listen to Audio books in front of their Desktops.

Anyway thanks,

Tale
Tale123

Post by Tale123 »

I forgot, this would be the link to the paid App called "LibriVox Audio Books Supporter":

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=biz.bookdesign.librivox.pro&hl=en

Thanks,

Tale
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Yes they can, and they do state somewhere they are not part of us - what you are paying for is what you are using in development and other costs for the app . Just to keep software up to date with all the changes that are being made is expensive and beyond using volunteer labour for.
So we concentrate on our prime directive and release them for free courtesy of Archive providing us with the server space we need.
If you think the charger for the app is unreasonable contact them - they are a business concern not a charity. Otherwise just download from our site - it's free though Archive is asking for donations at the moment .

Anne
Tale123

Post by Tale123 »

annise wrote:Yes they can, and they do state somewhere they are not part of us - what you are paying for is what you are using in development and other costs for the app . Just to keep software up to date with all the changes that are being made is expensive and beyond using volunteer labour for.
So we concentrate on our prime directive and release them for free courtesy of Archive providing us with the server space we need.
If you think the charger for the app is unreasonable contact them - they are a business concern not a charity. Otherwise just download from our site - it's free though Archive is asking for donations at the moment .

Anne
Thanks for clearing this up! I have just rounded the amount up and donated it to LibriVox through the PayPal link. I know it's not much but even small donations add up and I will donate more as I can :)

The audio ads in the App didn't bother me too much and I don't think the charger for the app is unreasonable. It's just that I almost sent money to a different company unknowingly because I thought that this was the official LibriVox App as it had "LibriVox" and "Supporter" in the official App title. Just as a suggestion, I would ask App developers to refrain from that.

Anyhow, thanks and Merry Christmas! :)

Tale