[OK]Frankenstein, or The Modern Prometheus

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

I found myself wanting to listen to the Frankenstein audio book. Since Librivox is in the interest of providing the best quality I took it upon myself to start logging some errors that I was hearing. At first there were not many, but as the text went on there were quite a few in some of the chapters. To the point where I feel somewhat awkward issuing this error list... I do not mean to nitpick. Anyways, here it is. I am also not sure how to let you know which exact rendition of the book this is. If you need that information, I can let you know.

-Frankenstein, or The Modern Prometheus
-Chapters 3-4
-File format 128 kbps mp3
-individual download
-27:54 "I brought my work...or the vines yeild..." pause, then phrase is repeated starting 28:08.

-Chapter 8
-individual download
-11:18 to 11:26 silent pause that does not belong.

-Chapter 11
-individual download
-too many errors to list. I believe this section should be redone.

-Chapter 12
-individual download

-Chapter 13
-individual download

-Chapter 14-15
-individual download
-I did not hear an indication of when chapter 14 ended. As it is all one recording for chapters 14 and 15, I am not sure that this is necessary.

-Chapter 19
-individual download
-The formal "End of Chapter 19" is not present.

-Chapter 20
-individual download
-3:34 "S-S-Sensation", Reading Error
-The formal "End of Chapter 20" is not present.

-Chapter 21-22
-individual download
-17:33 Verbal stumble at the phrase "maladie du pays."
-17:41 Verbal stumble at the word "residence."
-21:06 The formal "End of Chapter 21" is not present. As it is all one recording for chapters 21 and 22, I am not sure that this is necessary.

-Chapter 23
-individual download
-13:22 Mis-read of word "single"
-15:20-15:23 Microphone noise present
-16:03 Mis-read of "half-kind"
-16:40 Mis-read of "elapsed"
-17:05 stumble at "prey"
-17:34 reapeat of "you"
-18:01 Mis-read of "devouring"
-19:06-19:11 Mis-read phrase, then repeated at 19:12-19:16

-Chapter 24
-individual download
-5:18 Mis-read at "whisper"
-6:03 Mis-read at "bound"
-6:06 Mis-read at "same ship"
-6:54 Mis-read at "fatigue"
-7:27 Stumble at "enspirited"
-7:36 Mis-read "had"
-8:17 Stumble at "of the villagers"
-8:55 Stumble at "fulfill"
-9:41-9:51 Phrase mis-read, then repeated 9:52-10:00
-17:13 Stumble at "protraction"
-19:12 Mis-read at "distant"
-20:20 Mis-read before "life"
-At this time I will stop logging. My first inclination is that this section should be redone, however it is very very long so...I could log the rest to be spot editted if that is desired.
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

It is this version: https://librivox.org/frankenstein-or-modern-prometheus-by-mary-w-shelley/

Thank you for going to so much trouble :). I think I need to say that this was one of the very first LibriVox audiobooks to be produced - it was catalogued nearly ten years ago. In those dim and distant days there was no such thing as proof-listening - quality control was non-existent and LibriVox was still very, very experimental. So yes indeed, it has many failings. This has been recognised, and there are now four other versions of this book in the LibriVox catalogue. Most of the readers who contributed to this early project are long gone, and although some of the errors could be fixed, many could not. I honestly do not believe it could ever be made "right" and would not be time well spent.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

I understand and agree, however I believe this should either then be removed or noted as having many errors so others know. What are your thoughts on that?
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We don't "remove" recordings from the catalogue - ever. Unless the text read is deemed to be copyright. Which very seldom happens.

As to "reviewing " a project in the summary - no . Never
I notice you are doing some PLing - I think it is important that we differentiate between proof reading and what we ask for proof listening.
I found when I was doing much PLing that I needed to think that I had a friend coming to read me a story. What would I want from them?
I'd want the story to sound good , to be interesting , and there not be any moments that didn't make sense - like using her not his about the father but I wouldn't care if they stuttered a bit over a difficult word or said it differently to the way I said it as long as it was understandable.

This of course is an early reading . Done via a blog, not PLed, using what software and equipment the readers had. Quite likely little or no editing software. It wouldn't be catalogued today but what we catalogue today may not match the standards in 10 years. We don't touch up rock art because they didn't get the proportions right :D

Anne
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

Annise, Thanks for the information! I will take that to heart. I really like the friend reading a story analogy. I was not really sure how "far" to take proof listening. My initial inclination is to do the absolute best I can. We want it to sound good right? I mean, by todays standards, we want to make sure that errors like those present in Frankenstein do not make it through the PL process correct?

I am PLing on a few different things right now and I don't want to be taking it too far either. I just assume that the person in charge of the project will tell me if I am.

Also, when I am not working on one of my PL projects, I will be listening to other items that are done. According to what I read on the website it seems that I should report any errors that are present. How do I know when/where to draw the line? I mean, I did not know that Frankenstein would have so many errors, or why.

In closing, I am new to this Librivox domain. I am however, very passionate about it. I would like to do everything I can to ensure proper and well done renditions of this literature get logged and any errors fixed, without going too far. If you have any advise please give it to me. Thanks.
Anthony