[OK]Theory of Moral Sentiments - major error

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
rpopper

Post by rpopper »

Librivox's recording of Adam Smith's Theory of Moral Sentiments is missing all of Part VII, Of Systems of Moral Philosophy (consisting of four smaller sections). This is about 1/5th of the entire work, and is a major omission.

Second, what is designated as download Part 31 is out of place. By my calculations, it really goes in between current Parts 26 and 27. (Many of the titles of download parts will need to be changed as well -- they often say Part VI when they should say Part V, and vice versa.)
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Part VII is indeed missing from this recording. The text that was used for this recording is no longer online so at this point I can only assume that it must have been incomplete. You are also correct that the chapters in section 31 should be between those in sections 26 and 27 based on a different online version of the text

http://www.econlib.org/library/Smith/smMS.html

All I can find with regard to the titles though is a typo in section 29. The rest of the Part V and Part VI look OK. If you disagree, please post the specifics.

Since this is a collaborative reading, fixing the order of the sections is a little tricky so we will need to think about the best way to go about this at this point.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
Jo
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The Librivox project is a reading of the first edition.
In the introduction to the 6th edition , Smith lists the changes he has made - and these seem to correspond with what you say . I will mark the present recording as being the 1st edition to prevent further confusion.

Anne