What's with the Paypal?

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
n8evv

Post by n8evv »

I tried to give Librivox a healthy donation for the fundraising drive, and all Paypal will do is say I can't use my debit card. ZERO explanation.

One effect of this is that not only am I not able to give money, but I can't recommend that any friends donate either--after all, I haven't given anything; why should they?

e.v.v.
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

n8evv - i'm afraid we have little control over paypal - but i *think* paypal requires a credit card, unless debit is linked to a paypal account.
n8evv

Post by n8evv »

I just give money... or in this case, wait for an alternative. The good news is, LibriVox is asking for far less than they could raise.
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

Our contraint was not what we could raise, but rather what was the lowest amount with the least headache, so that we won't have to worry about money for a while ;-)
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

I have a Paypal account and my debit card works fine. It's useful for e-bay/other online buying, doesn't cost anything to keep up and they don't send you spam, so it might be worth you getting an account to donate.
So little space, so much to say.
icyjumbo

Post by icyjumbo »

hugh wrote:n8evv - i'm afraid we have little control over paypal - but i *think* paypal requires a credit card, unless debit is linked to a paypal account.
I agree. I think PayPal uses the offer to pay with a credit card but without a PayPal account as a way to showcase their services and draw you in. "The first one's free," if you like. The assumption must be that you would rather give up the details of your credit card than your bank account. That seems a reasonable assumption to me.

<rant>The thing I really dislike is that when you do have a PayPal account linked to a bank account, then PayPal always defaults to paying from the bank account. There is no way to turn this off, so you have to switch to the credit card option for every single transaction. Hmph!</rant>
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

icyjumbo wrote:<rant>The thing I really dislike is that when you do have a PayPal account linked to a bank account, then PayPal always defaults to paying from the bank account. There is no way to turn this off, so you have to switch to the credit card option for every single transaction. Hmph!</rant>
Lower fees for them on bank accounts than on credit cards, I imagine. Some credit card companies really hammer the merchant.
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

So the funding message was genuine? :O I thought it might be spam when I initially received it yesterday.

If it costs that much to run LibriVox, who has been paying for it so far?
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

"The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens."
- Baha'u'llah
See: http://bahai.org/

Some Answered Questions.
The Promulgation of Universal Peace, Vol. I.
An Elementary Greek Grammar.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

We have on occasion received some help from partner organisations, but at other times, and at present, it is being funded by a few generous individuals. This fund-raising drive is intended to make our next 4-5 years secure for the expected increase in use and to improve the site's usability and accessibility for readers, listeners and admins.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

It's certainly a worthy cause. :)
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

"The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens."
- Baha'u'llah
See: http://bahai.org/

Some Answered Questions.
The Promulgation of Universal Peace, Vol. I.
An Elementary Greek Grammar.