[RESOLVED] Haunted & Haunters ... Truncated version?

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

Dear Librivox,

Being a fan of the ghost story I was eager for The Haunted and the Haunters (under Keyhole Mysteries presently in the proof listening stage) to be posted. When it did I had to grit my teeth at the three and a half hours it took to download on my rinky-dink dial-up system. But well worth it. Julia does an excellent job with only a couple of stumbles. Can't quite place her accent. Is she Dutch?

One thing. Julia seems to have gotten hold of a truncated version of the story. Where it ends is not actually the end. There are several more pages leading to a powerful climax. The narrator meets the instigator of the haunting, a man hundreds of years old although he looks only middle aged.

Rick
Last edited by hugh on October 19th, 2008, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steampunk

Post by Steampunk »

hugh wrote:
Dear Librivox,

Being a fan of the ghost story I was eager for The Haunted and the Haunters (under Keyhole Mysteries presently in the proof listening stage) to be posted. When it did I had to grit my teeth at the three and a half hours it took to download on my rinky-dink dial-up system. But well worth it. Julia does an excellent job with only a couple of stumbles. Can't quite place her accent. Is she Dutch?

One thing. Julia seems to have gotten hold of a truncated version of the story. Where it ends is not actually the end. There are several more pages leading to a powerful climax. The narrator meets the instigator of the haunting, a man hundreds of years old although he looks only middle aged.

Rick

I was able to download it fine, and though I don't know the part Rick is speaking of, the end of the recording matches the end of the Gutenberg text.

The recording runs 71:18.

The final paragrah is:

We found no more. Mr. J---- burned the tablet and its anathema.
He razed to the foundations the part of the building containing the
secret room with the chamber over it. He had then the courage to
inhabit the house himself for a month, and a quieter, better-
conditioned house could not be found in all London. Subsequently
he let it to advantage, and his tenant has made no complaints.

Jim

EDIT: P.S. Julila is Belgian and her accent is lovely... :)
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

The way I'm reading his email is that the PG text is missing one or more pages of the work that was published on paper, not that the audio file is truncated.
Paul
[b]DPL: [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12852]Brigands of the Moon[/url]; [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13151]Brain Twister[/url][/b]
Steampunk

Post by Steampunk »

PaulW wrote:The way I'm reading his email is that the PG text is missing one or more pages of the work that was published on paper, not that the audio file is truncated.
Same here.

But the text appears complete. That is, the stroy comes to what seems to be a reasonable ending; and with no mention of a middle-aged/old man (which I assume is actually earlier in the stroy).

I think he's assuming the source text is truncated, but I think it might be his copy of the audio file.

Which is why I included the length of the recording and the final paragraph.

Jim
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

yes, often there are several versions of texts. dorian gray is one with several different versions, and we've had emails about it.

guess we can close this one.