[IMPROVED] Wicked whine Ch 37, David Copperfield

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
blinque

Post by blinque »

There is a wicked background whine in the recording of the Chapter 37 of David Copperfield by Charles Dickens. It's painful to listen to. I took it off my iPod in hopes that a different listening option would be easier, but to no avail. Ouch!

:cry:
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

blinque, which version of the file did you get (64k, 128k, or ogg), and how did you download it?

Thanks!
Paul
[b]DPL: [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12852]Brigands of the Moon[/url]; [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13151]Brain Twister[/url][/b]
blinque

Post by blinque »

And for chapter 37, I also used iTunes, assume it's 128k, and register a file size of 9MB.

Something odd that I noticed just now is this--the chapter numbers being read don't line up with the numbers on the installments. This is not true of the iTunes subscription, but when I downloaded the rest of the chapters from Librivox, they all shifted one number up so chapter 37 is in file number 38.
Jc

Post by Jc »

the Preface is always listed as section 00, so chapter 37 would be in the 38th file. Although the file name does say section 37.
9 MB would be the 64K file.

EDIT: I had a listen, and yes, there is quite a horrible high-pitched electronic-sounding hiss. A good noisecleaning would do the trick.
Put yourself in the Readers' Accents Table. See this post.
(Busy real life & traveling, sorry if not here often.)
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Sigh! I'll take care of it! :)
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

I have the "prior to upload" version of Sec 37, and I don't hear a whine on my (pretty good) sound equipment, just a very minor hiss. I ran it through Audacity Noise Clean (new, I think, after Copperfield was cataloged) and there was a minor improvement, so I used the result to replace Sec 37.

I listened to the beginning and end of each file on the new zip, and the sections are all present and complete.