[RESOLVED] Two bad links on "The New Releases Page"

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
rita1075

Post by rita1075 »

Hello, I am Eunah.
Today, I entered the LibriVox main website and found out that "Short Poetry Collection 069" and "The Appetite of Tyranny" by G. K. Chesterton were cataloged.
I tried to download both books, but the links for those books on the New Releases" page didn't work. I think the links should be fixed soon, or else the listeners will go away.
Let me clarify these two problems.
First, The Short Poetry Collection 069 can be easily downloaded on the catalog page, but the unnecessary link for the forum page of this book
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14961does
also appear on the "New Releases Page".
It will confuse many listeners, including me. Only the following catalog page for this book should appear:
http://librivox.org/librivox-short-poetry-collection-069/
Could you make the forum link disappear or do something about it?
Next problem is even worse. When I click the link for "The Appetite of Tyranny",
http://librivox.org/appetite-of-tyranny-by-g-k-chesterton/viewtopic.php?t=15065
I get the following error message instead of being taken to the catalog page.
"Error 404 - Not Found"
The link should be corrected to:
http://librivox.org/appetite-of-tyranny-by-g-k-chesterton/
Please could you correct these bad links?
I think that you should be more careful not to insert any bad link on the "New Releases Page" from now on. You know, this page is the very first page listeners view when they visit LibriVox and therefore can affect their first impressions.
I apologize if anyone felt bad because of these comments.
Thank you for reading this message. I hope the links can be corrected soon.
Regards,
Eunah
Cori

Post by Cori »

I've edited these in the database (Short Poetry 069 just had the librivox.org URL pointing to the forum rather than the newly created catalogue page ... and Tyranny had had a copy&paste accident when the librivox org was entered in.)

Buuuut ... I'm not sure how to update these in the RSS! Short Poetry 069 has two entries anyway -- the more recent one is correct, the other needs deleting. Tyranny only has one entry, which needs fixing.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Not sure it's what I just did, or if it was already there - but there are 2 entries in the feed now for Tyranny, and the new one works.

Thanks for catching this, Rita and Cori.

I notice 2 entries for new books in the RSS feed many times, and have been assuming it happens when things are fixed; apparently there's no easy way to delete the first entry - and the 2 entry problem goes away by itself in a reasonably short time.
Jc

Post by Jc »

Maybe it generates a new entry when you go back and fix the project Metadata and hit "edit item"...
(and sorry for poetry 069, that was my bad)
Put yourself in the Readers' Accents Table. See this post.
(Busy real life & traveling, sorry if not here often.)
Cori

Post by Cori »

I reckon so, Jc ... I think, as soon as the 'Complete' option is toggled on, an RSS entry is made. So, then, certain changes* made after that do result in duplicates (that happened to me this morning with Tyranny.)

[* Presumably changes to the info in the feed, especially the core URLs.]
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!