[RESOLVED] David Copperfield - Ch 39 is a repeat of Ch 25

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Debra Lynn kindly pointed this out. Simonevers was the reader for both chapters. Debra has volunteered to do the missing Ch 39, but if she hasn't already done it, I'm going to check with Simon first. Then I'll go ahead and replace the chapter.

So, if anyone else notices in the meantime, it will be fixed shortly - sorry for the inconvenience.
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Debra is back online so I'm now informed of the status.

I'll be contacting Simonevers today to see whether he has a copy of the overwritten file. If not, Debra Lynn will read it.

She found another problem: the last paragraph or so of Ch 42 is missing. I will check this one out also, and try to reup both chapters at the same time.
PWagner

Post by PWagner »

Glad to hear you're working on chapter 39. I think that chapter 23 was cut short and there's also a very annoying high pitched squeal all through chapter 37.
DebraLynn

Post by DebraLynn »

PWagner wrote:Glad to hear you're working on chapter 39. I think that chapter 23 was cut short and there's also a very annoying high pitched squeal all through chapter 37.
While I'd be happy to record chapter 39, I hope SimonEvers is able to find and upload his recording as I really enjoy his readings. (That British accent helps a lot :wink: )

I noticed the squeal you were talking about, too. I tried to edit my copy enough so I could listen to it without my head exploding, but I did not have a lot of luck.

As for chapter 23, I recorded that one and my original file that I uploaded is all there. I did not download any of my chapters from the catalog so I don't know what condition it was in when it made it to the catalog. However, just in case, I re-uploaded the chapter if it is needed:

Title: 23 - I Corroborate Mr. Dick, And Choose A Profession
Section: 23
Run Time: 33:37
File Size: 30.7MB
File Name: davidcopperfield_23_dickens.mp3
Reader: Debra Lynn
(New) Link to recorded file: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=X0C9FL1U

There really seem to have been gremlins at work on this project. I found another problem, with chapter 55 from about 16:50 to about 18:34. I PM'd the details to kmerline but, basically, there are two tracks playing at the same time and drowning each other out.

-DebraLynn
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=1166][b][color=violet]"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" (Groucho Marx)[/color][/b][/url]
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

from a listener:
Thanks.. also the middle of chapter 55 is garbled with two readings. The forum does not mention this.
daikini

Post by daikini »

Any solution to this at all?

I really enjoy listening to Simon Evers on this project, by the way!

Thanks!
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

I'm collecting the defective chapters. - With Debra Lynn's help, four have been identified. We have two of the chapters ready to re-up. The duplicated chapter replaced one of Simon's and he has agreed to re-record.

I've e-mailed another reader, but I think he isn't around - Debra Lynn has agreed to record that one.

I'm sorry for the delay, this got sidetracked, partly because of my back injury.

I hope to have this all fixed in a week or so.

I enjoy Simon's reading, too! Isn't he great?
daikini

Post by daikini »

Thank you for the quick reply. I hope you're healing well!

I look forward to seeing/hearing the updated chapters!
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

The interest in this project is so gratifying - it reminds me that our efforts are not going into a vacuum. Here is a detailed progress report:

Fixes are underway for Chapters 23, 39, 46, and 55.

Chapter 23 (truncated): DebraLynn had her file, which was complete, and has resubmitted it.

Chapter 39 (overwritten by a duplicate) Simonevers has agreed to re-record and it is pending.

Chapter 46 (chunk of text omitted): have e-mailed the reader, giving him ten days to respond. The 10 days is almost up. DebraLynn has agreed to re-record.

Chapter 55 (chunk of text omitted): This reader abandoned another section he claimed, and is no longer posting. DebraLynn has rerecorded and submitted this chapter.

In short, I'm waiting for Chapters 39 and 46 to come in, after which I will be re-uploading them all.

I really do apologize for all the glitches in this project!

Regards,
Karen Merline
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Update: I now have Chapter 39, and Debbie will be reading the Michael Bradford's chapter in the next few days.
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

All four fixed chapters have been received!

I've run into technical trouble in the upload process :twisted: and have asked for help!

Hopefully, it won't be long now!
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

It's an Internet Archive problem! :x Hopefully, I will be able to upload and derive the new files in a few days.
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

any news? just got another email about these probs ;-)
DebraLynn

Post by DebraLynn »

hugh wrote:any news? just got another email about these probs ;-)
I think we got all the files fixed now. Karen was trying to get them into the catalog but was having difficulties and then I think she went out of town for a week or something. I'm not sure who she asked for assistance with the technical problems, but I'm sure she'll check into it when she gets back.

-Debbie
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=1166][b][color=violet]"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" (Groucho Marx)[/color][/b][/url]
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Yes, I have had all the sections for quite a while. I tried 3X before I went away and once this week since returning. I'll try again today.