[RESOLVED] critique of pure reason

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
Cori

Post by Cori »

You could email jamestily to ask -- even when people don't have time for LV, they're almost always willing to help out in this sort of way.

And perhaps recruiting another reader for the second part of 5. If it's an experienced LVer, then there shouldn't be any problem with the legal side of "it's in the public domain, but I'm not *actually* reading the disclaimer." And then someone can glue the two parts together, and it's done. I think that's easier than making 5 a two part section, and having to shuffle around file numbering and suchlike.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

we could orphan up the missing chaps?
Cori

Post by Cori »

They're not missing, as I understand it, just incomplete. A shame to waste what exists ... if a little fill-in is all that's needed.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
LeonMire

Post by LeonMire »

I agree with Cori - if we can get someone to just finish up the reading, it'd be much better than having someone re-do the whole thing. Actually, I looked up the file for section 5, and it's only the last 1000 words that are missing (I don't know why I never looked that up before). Maybe Carl would be willing to read the last 6 or 7 minutes. But if not (he's been awful busy lately), it's short enough that I'll complete it. I'll PM him.

The disclaimer isn't a problem in this case, because for some weird reason, they had D.E. Wittkower read all the disclaimers.

Also, I e-mailed jamestily, and he responded right away. His is a little bit longer, but he's agreed to re-record the missing parts in a few days.
I remember how, in college, I got that part-time job as a circus clown, and how the children would laugh and laugh at me. I vowed, then and there, that I would get revenge.
-[url=http://www.deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com/][u]Jack Handey[/u][/url]
LeonMire

Post by LeonMire »

CarlManchester re-recorded the last few minutes of his section, and added it on to the chopped-off file:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/lm/critique_of_pure_reason_05_kant.mp3

(FYI, I proof-listened the last few minutes) Haven't gotten jamestily's recording yet.. but it's not been that long.

EDIT: I just had a thought.. is it possible that the file got cut off while uploading to the Archive, but didn't get cut off at ibiblio? If so, is there some way we could get the files for this (and other projects) from them?
I remember how, in college, I got that part-time job as a circus clown, and how the children would laugh and laugh at me. I vowed, then and there, that I would get revenge.
-[url=http://www.deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com/][u]Jack Handey[/u][/url]
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

just checked ibiblio - does not seem to be there. i think someone said that only one work per author gets into our ibiblio backup, for some strange tech reason.
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

How's this going?
[size=100][b]It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle

[/b][/size]
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

I can volunteer to fix it, but I don't know what's been fixed and which of you admin types are in charge of it. ;)
[size=100][b]It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle

[/b][/size]
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Sibella wrote:I can volunteer to fix it, but I don't know what's been fixed and which of you admin types are in charge of it. ;)
Who ever gets here first and has a notion to fix it, does it. :wink:

For basic checking, it does not need an admin nor for gathering of errant files but to upload to archive, we do need an admin.

I hope that clarifies things a bit.

We put this in the open forum so anyone can look into the problems rather then leave it all up to the admins.

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

cline wrote:Sections 3,5,7 and 9 are all cut short. I got the section 7 that Hugh posted (Thanks Hugh!), so that leaves 3,5 and 9 cut short. Any idea when these might get fixed?
http://www.specksynder.com/librivox/ahab/critique/critique_of_pure_reason_03_kant.mp3

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/lm/critique_of_pure_reason_05_kant.mp3 (needs to be spliced to original)

http://librivox.hughmcguire.net/critiqueofpurereason/critique_of_pure_reason_07_kant.mp3

9 is the only one missing now so if you want to try and track it down, that would be great!

If you would like to splice section 5 together, that would help too.

Esther :)
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

I'll splice 5 and try to track down 9 (or I'll re-record it this week).

[/b][/size]
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

Hmm. jamestily hasn't posted since February of 2007; the file was mediafire (and it's gone), so I'll re-record it this week.

[/b][/size]
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

And even though jamestily said he'd re-record the missing parts, I think that since it's been 5 months and he hasn't done it, then I will.

[/b][/size]
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Sibella wrote:And even though jamestily said he'd re-record the missing parts, I think that since it's been 5 months and he hasn't done it, then I will.
Ya that's a long time! Are you just going to record the missing bits and splice together or do the whole chapter? (I don't really think it matters at this stage!)

I was going to suggest emailing him but with a 5 month response time, I doubt it's worth it.

Esther :shock:
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

No, he responded to Leon's email really quickly, but he said he was going to record the missing parts and must not have had time. The missing parts are about 2000 words; I'm going to just record those and splice it. Is that ok? He reads much more slowly than I do but I will do my best to read Kant slowly.

[/b][/size]