COMPLETE The Rover Boys Winning A Fortune, by Arthur M. Winfield - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
dustman33

Post by dustman33 »

The Rover Boys Winning A Fortune, by Arthur M. Winfield (1862 - 1930)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-rover-boys-winning-a-fortune-by-arthur-m-winfield/
to follow (Summary by Howard Skyman)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/69463/pg69463-images.html

Target completion date: 2023-02-15

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: q37FXaGk
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Stratemeyer (Edward Stratemeyer)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 30
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1926
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project: Action & Adventure Fiction; Children's Fiction/Action & Adventure

Keywords that describe the book: juvenile fiction

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Rover Boys Winning A Fortune. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Rover Boys Winning A Fortune, by Arthur M. Winfield. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Rover Boys Winning A Fortune, by Arthur M. Winfield. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Rover Boys Winning A Fortune, by Arthur M. Winfield."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: roverboyswinningafortune_##_winfield_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. roverboyswinningafortune_01_winfield_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: icequeen

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I can MC this one for you Howard! I need to have check to see if we use Edward Stratemeyer as the author, or the pseudonym that is on the book. But, I will be back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, your MW is ready for you! Do you have a DPL in mind? If you don't have someone lined up already, let me know and I will put a ~ in the subject line.

I have confirmed that you do need to use the pseudonym, which is Arthur M. Winfield, so I have changed what needed to be changed in the first post. There are a bunch of authors that are a part of the Stratemeyer Syndicate, where Edward was the real author, but he used Arthur for this particular series. I know that PG has Edward as the author, but at LV we have been using the pseudonym for the author because readers are more aware of the pseudo, not Edward.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

Hi Howard,

Thank you for selecting another one of the ebooks I produced (with Distributed Proofreaders) for Project Gutenberg, just recently.

And again, in appreciation, I'd like to DPL this project, if you haven't got one in mind, and it's OK with you.

Thank you,
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

FWIW,

I'm much happier with the way LV uses the named author for a project (which can be a pseudonym), rather than the actual author, than how PG does it. Another wrinkle is that often multiple writers have written under the same pseudonym. For example, the Baseball Joe series (also a Stratemeyer Syndicate series), which I'm in the process of recording here, is believed to have had volumes written by as many as three different actual writers (Howard R. Garis, John W. Duffield, and even Edward Stratemeyer himself) under the name of Lester Chadwick. Very confusing!
Don (DACSoft)

In Progress:
Next up:
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

It is very confusing! I have been running one of the many Boy Scout series, which are authored by Herbert Carter. That is one of the many pseudonyms of St George Rathborne. So I do feel your pain, it makes my life interesting when setting up, and cataloging.

ETA: And, thank you so much for volunteering to DPL this project! You now have access to the MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
dustman33

Post by dustman33 »

Hi Ann,

Thank for for doing the MC duties on this project. My only concern regarding the pseudonym is that I need to confirm Stratemeyer as the actual author. Since I am in Canada the copyright status is dictated by the date of the author’s death. I have had to skip other projects I was interested in because they were written by “house” authors and I had no way to confirm copyright status. (Nick Carter for example).

Was this book actually written by Stratemeyer or is Arthur M. Windfiield a “house” name for an unknown writer? Do you know?

Please advise and many thanks.

Howard
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Here is the Wikipedia page for the Stratemeyer syndicate. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratemeyer_Syndicate It states that Edward died in 1930, and it talks about the syndicate. Here is a list of the book series of the syndicate. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Stratemeyer_Syndicate_series On there, it lists the Rover Boys as written by Arthur M. Winfield, and there is a link imbedded in his name. I clicked that link, and it went straight to the page on Edward Stratemeyer himself. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Stratemeyer So, this gives you a lot of stuff to read on the subject, which seems to be a twisted pickle. Once you have read up on this messy thing, let me know how you would like to proceed. I think that you are safe, because Arthur was never a real person, that Arthur was Edward, and Edward died in 1930. But, that is for you to decide for yourself, you are the one who needs to be comfortable with recording this project.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

dustman33 wrote: December 5th, 2022, 3:10 am Hi Ann,

Thank for for doing the MC duties on this project. My only concern regarding the pseudonym is that I need to confirm Stratemeyer as the actual author. Since I am in Canada the copyright status is dictated by the date of the author’s death. I have had to skip other projects I was interested in because they were written by “house” authors and I had no way to confirm copyright status. (Nick Carter for example).

Was this book actually written by Stratemeyer or is Arthur M. Windfiield a “house” name for an unknown writer? Do you know?

Please advise and many thanks.

Howard
I've been working on the Stratemeyer Syndicate books on Wikisource over the past 12+ years. From the researches I've done there I can assure you that Arthur M. Winfield is a pseudonym for Edward Stratemeyer only. In some of the Rover Boys books the title page has both names and the Introduction is signed off by Stratemeyer. (See https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Rover_Boys_in_New_York for an example.)

The Rover Boys series was the main one that Stratemeyer wrote entirely himself and he wouldn't let the other writers in the Syndicate do any of them.
"Just because you can doesn't mean you should"—my first law of life.
dustman33

Post by dustman33 »

Kudos to Ann and beeswaxcandle for all your due diligence. Most helpful. I will be moving on with this project.

And of course hello again to you Don. You are most welcome to do the proof listening for this book. Thank you.

Howard
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Perfect! Then we are ready to move on to Going Solo!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
dustman33

Post by dustman33 »

Hi Don.

Chapters 1 (11:59) and 2 (11:30) are ready for PL.

Howard
dustman33

Post by dustman33 »

Chapters 3 (10:26) and 4 (11:01) now ready for PL.

Howard
dustman33

Post by dustman33 »

Chapters 5 (10:47) and 6 (11:32) now ready for PL.

Howard
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

Chapters 1, 2, 3 and 4 are PL OK! :)
Don (DACSoft)

In Progress:
Next up: