[COMPLETE][Americana/Travel/Adventure] Four Months in a Sneak-Box, by Nathaniel H. Bishop - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Four Months in a Sneak-Box, by Nathaniel H. Bishop (1837 - 1902)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/four-months-in-a-sneak-box-by-nathaniel-h-bishop/
The kind reception by the American press of the author's first journey to the great southern sea, and its republication in Great Britain and in France ... have encouraged him to give the public a companion volume, "FOUR MONTHS IN A SNEAK-BOX" ... a relation of ... a second cruise to the Gulf of Mexico ... by a different route from that followed in the "VOYAGE OF THE PAPER CANOE." This time the author procured one of the smallest and most comfortable of boats... the BARNEGAT SNEAK-BOX. This curious and stanch little craft, though only twelve feet in length, proved a most comfortable and serviceable home while the author rowed in it more than 2600 miles down the Ohio and Mississippi rivers, and along the coast of the Gulf of Mexico, until he reached the goal of his voyage — the mouth of the wild Suwanee River — which was the terminus of his "VOYAGE OF THE PAPER CANOE." (Summary by Nathaniel H. Bishop)

NOTE: There are issues of race in the telling of "Four Months in a Sneak-box", particularly anti-Black stereotypes and derogatory terms. It is LibriVox's policy to record texts as written.
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/5686

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of Four Months in a Sneak-Box. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Four Months in a Sneak-Box, by Nathaniel H. Bishop. Section Title (Chapter number and title)."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Four Months in a Sneak-Box, by Nathaniel H. Bishop."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: fourmonthsinasneakbox_##_bishop_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. fourmonthsinasneakbox_01_bishop_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by BrianFullen on December 1st, 2022, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sounds interesting! Perhaps after this, you could BC the Paper Canoe. 8-)

MW is set up.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

TriciaG wrote: December 1st, 2022, 10:47 am Sounds interesting! Perhaps after this, you could BC the Paper Canoe. 8-)

MW is set up.
You're the best! Thank you!
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
tjfria

Post by tjfria »

I would like to claim sections 1 thru 5
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

tjfria wrote: December 1st, 2022, 11:42 am I would like to claim sections 1 thru 5
I would like for you to do that! I'll try to get the MW up before you have finished the book!
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

TriciaG wrote: December 1st, 2022, 10:47 am Sounds interesting! Perhaps after this, you could BC the Paper Canoe. 8-)

MW is set up.
I tend to think that chapters containing around 8100 or 8300 words do make for rather long recordings. But ~10350 words seems monstrously long; I assume recordings of the length it will take for Chapter 7 are not unheard of but it's hard for me to imagine that they are common. There is a "convenient" place to split this chapter into lengths of ~6100 and ~4250 words, respectively. But I just don't know if I should. This isn't so much an action / adventure book as it is a "more or less" leisurely travelogue. Tricia, do you think that a ~10350 word chapter (has to be well over an hour, doesn't it?) is "workable' for an audio book? :help:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

If it were my project, I'd split it into Chapter #, Part 1 and Part 2. As it is there are long chapters, and it's harder to find readers for really long ones.

You can add a section by clicking on Add Section. It'll go to the bottom of the list, but you can drag and drop it into the right spot.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

TriciaG wrote: December 1st, 2022, 12:24 pm If it were my project, I'd split it into Chapter #, Part 1 and Part 2. As it is there are long chapters, and it's harder to find readers for really long ones.

You can add a section by clicking on Add Section. It'll go to the bottom of the list, but you can drag and drop it into the right spot.
Yep! Thanks I've done the Add Section thing before but I do appreciate the refresher. Actually, I appreciate all of the help you are willing to give!
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

ATTENTION PROSPECTIVE CLAIMANTS (VOLUNTEER READERS / DPL):

There are issues of race in the telling of "Four Months in a Sneak-box", particularly anti-Black stereotypes and derogatory terms. It is LibriVox's policy to record texts as written.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

tjfria wrote: December 1st, 2022, 11:42 am I would like to claim sections 1 thru 5
Tom, please note that there is a change to the wording of what is read at both the start and the end of a section, owing to my having split chapter 7 into two parts. Thanks, Brian
tjfria

Post by tjfria »

Here is section 1; need to know how you want to handle the long chapter subtitles, and again how to close the file.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/fourmonthsinasneakbox_01_Bishop_128kb.mp3 (28:44)
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

tjfria wrote: December 1st, 2022, 6:40 pm Here is section 1; need to know how you want to handle the long chapter subtitles, and again how to close the file.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/fourmonthsinasneakbox_01_Bishop_128kb.mp3 (28:44)
The section title is whatever the MW section title says.

Just read those long chapter subtitles like any other text within the chapter, Tom. It's like if you ever had to sit in on a power point sales presentation by a presenter who started off by summarizing what they were going to tell you, and then after that they told it to you in detail, and then finally they recapped what it was that they had told you. Only, at least here, the author doesn't do that recap part. I've seen this style of writing often in some of these books we record for LibriVox and perhaps it was popular a hundred years ago when I was very young.

At the end of recording file you simply say "End of Section [number]" for whatever section number you read. Of course followed by 5 seconds of silence.

Also, although you might be reading from a "no images" version of this book you may encounter picture captions embedded within brackets ([...]) for images that are not in the text. We're doing standard PL on this project and even though the LibriVox practice is that all text be read "as is" I do wonder if a PL would even notice if you glossed over those imageless captions. If and when we get a DPL we could ask.

Oh, yeah. Thanks for Section 1!
tjfria

Post by tjfria »

:thumbs:
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

BrianFullen wrote: December 1st, 2022, 10:49 am

MW is set up.
You're the best! Thank you!
In time I would be more than happy to BC "Paper Canoe" which does talk about Canada some (but not enough, for sure), and that's important, for all of us who are fond of all things Canada, and especially for you!

Thanks for moving us to Wanted Ads section. If we don't get a DPL in the next day or two, I'd be willing to DPL this. It seems that there are ever more readers and not near enough new PL's. Or maybe I imagine that.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Also, although you might be reading from a "no images" version of this book you may encounter picture captions embedded within brackets ([...]) for images that are not in the text. We're doing standard PL on this project and even though the LibriVox practice is that all text be read "as is" I do wonder if a PL would even notice if you glossed over those imageless captions. If and when we get a DPL we could ask.
While we read the text as written, that applies more to the content of the main text itself. We don't necessarily read footnotes, or the table of contents, or appendices/indexes - and we don't bother with image captions. ;)