[COMPLETE] Ovid's Metamorphoses (English blank verse)-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
unreadpages

Post by unreadpages »

Metamorphoses, by Publius (Ovid) Ovidius Naso (c. 43 BC - 18 AD), translated by J J Howard

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/metamorphoses-howard-version-by-publius-ovid-ovidius-naso/
Translated from Latin into English blank verse, this classic Roman text gives an account of a series of fabulous episodes from creation through to Ovid's contemporary times, wherein changes in material forms have come to shape the world. The descriptive detail in this poem is graphic: battle scenes, brawls, grisly injuries and dismemberment, rape, incest, lycanthropy, abuse of power, the enduring power of love and fidelity, the beauty of nature, the inexorability of fate, are all there as a matrix and rationale for the endless parade of physical transformations. Said to be a major influence on Shakespeare.
(Summary by Peter Tucker)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/28621

Target completion date: 2023-02-15

Prooflistening level: Word Perfect
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: y6wFZVB5
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ovid ( Publius (Ovid) Ovidius Naso)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamorphoses
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 30
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 8 AD
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project: Classics (Greek & Latin Antiquity)

Keywords that describe the book: Latin, Epic, myths, classic, Roman, translation, transformation, gods, immortality

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Metamorphoses. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Metamorphoses, by Publius (Ovid) Ovidius Naso, translated by John Howard. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Metamorphoses, by Publius (Ovid) Ovidius Naso, translated by John Howard. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Metamorphoses, by Publius (Ovid) Ovidius Naso, translated by John Howard."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: metamorphoses_##_ovidiusnaso_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. metamorphoses_01_ovidiusnaso_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Annise

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by unreadpages on March 6th, 2023, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unreadpages

Post by unreadpages »

I don't think this version has been done for LV yet.
I can't find much about the translator, although I believe he was an English poet. Seeing as the translation was published in 1807 I think wo can assume copyright is clear.
I'm allowing two sections per "book" (there are 15 of those) but that is pretty much of a guess until I get started.
Regards
Peter
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

checkingin
unreadpages

Post by unreadpages »

Oh thank you Erin
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll set you up an MW
Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

All done - Anne
unreadpages

Post by unreadpages »

unreadpages

Post by unreadpages »

Dear Erin and Anne
Having submitted the first half of Book 1 as Sect 1, I am strongly inclined to make it as one Book per section, i.e fifteen sections total each of about 50-60 minutes. If you're OK with this, I will resubmit Sect 1 as the entire Book 1, so that would mean not PL-ing the Sect 1 I just posted until I repost it as the complete Book 1 - if that all makes sense!
Peter
Newgatenovelist

I am willing to PL it as 1 section = 1 book, though I can't promise to be quick with longer sections. I don't recall what the upper limit on individual sections is (70 minutes? 72 minutes?), but that's the more important figure to adhere to for technical reasons, I think.

I'll hold off PLing for now.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I can see why you want to but looking at the translation we have https://librivox.org/metamorphosis-or-the-golden-ass-by-lucius-apuleius/ Chapter 9 is getting close to 70 minutes which is the danger zone . The translations may differ and reading speed also comes into it. So I'm not saying no - just feeling you may need to split one later which I always feel is messy .

Anne
unreadpages

Post by unreadpages »

Maybe on the basis of that feedback I'll stick to two sections per Book to avoid the chance of going over 70 min.
Just before you PL Erin, I'd just like to re-record the translator's name as J J Howard (not "John" which the template came up with for some reason).
I can find no evidence that either of the Js stands for "John" or any other specific name. I initially recorded "John" absent-mindedly. :oops:
unreadpages

Post by unreadpages »

Here is Section 1, corrected for translator attribution:
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/metamorphoses_01_ovidiusnaso_128kb.mp3
24:20
Peter
unreadpages

Post by unreadpages »

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

unreadpages wrote: October 10th, 2022, 5:58 am Maybe on the basis of that feedback I'll stick to two sections per Book to avoid the chance of going over 70 min.
Just before you PL Erin, I'd just like to re-record the translator's name as J J Howard (not "John" which the template came up with for some reason).
I can find no evidence that either of the Js stands for "John" or any other specific name. I initially recorded "John" absent-mindedly. :oops:
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/12341/12341-h/12341-h.htm is marked as translated by John Howard and the template thus decided this was the same translator. If you are sure it isn't we will need to try and set up another record but unless we have some information it may as well stay as it is until we find out

Anne
Newgatenovelist

From what I can tell, the dates suggest two different translators. This translation of Ovid by J. J. Howard was published in 1807. The John Howard translation of Huysmans in the LV catalogue is of Against The Grain, or Against Nature, first published in French in 1884. The IA scans of the John Howard translation give 1922 as the year of publication of those particular scans and indicate John Howard's year of birth is 1893. I'm assuming these are two translators working decades apart, not some multilingual Methuselah!