COMPLETE [Action & Adventure Fiction] Polaris and the Goddess Glorian by Charles B. Stilson - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Polaris and the Goddess Glorian, by Charles B. Stilson (1880 - 1932)

This project is complete and all audio files can be found in the catalogue: https://librivox.org/polaris-and-the-goddess-glorian-by-charles-b-stilson/
In this, the final tale of the Polaris of the Snows saga, Polaris, Rose, Minos and Memene, along with scientist Zenas Wright and the redoubtable crew of the rescue ship, Minnetonka, are returning from the Antarctic to America when their ship is attacked and sunk by an Atlantean force that is bent on restoring their ancient ancestral dominance over the known world. Our captured heroes are now at the mercy of a tyrannical king and his people whose evil intent is opposed only by the Goddess Glorian and her devoted followers. (Summary by Brian Fullen)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/67121

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
Genres for the project: Action & Adventure Fiction
Keywords that describe the book: trilogy, Occult, lost race, microcosmos
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of Polaris and the Goddess Glorian. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Polaris and the Goddess Glorian, by Charles B. Stilson. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Polaris and the Goddess Glorian, by Charles B. Stilson."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: goddessglorian_##_stilson_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. goddessglorian_01_stilson_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Rapunzelina

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.

EDIT: March 30, 2023 - MW data fill, revised Brief Summary and shortened filename template.
Last edited by BrianFullen on August 17th, 2023, 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Brian!

This book is part of a trilogy: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/37661

which chronologically goes:

1. Polaris of the Snows
2. Minos of Sardanes
3. Polaris and the Goddess Glorian

Would you like to do them in order, or are you specifically interested only in this third one?
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Sorry, apparently I hadn't noticed you did launch them all :lol:

So my next question is, would you like to do them one at a time, or all together at the same time? And if all together, combining them in one project is also an option.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

quote=BrianFullen post_id=2102536 time=1664548133 user_id=136672]
mightyfelix wrote: September 29th, 2022, 9:58 pm
BrianFullen wrote: September 29th, 2022, 7:47 pm Hi Greg. I would like to BC this trilogy. I will post to that effect in the New Projects Launch Pad. Thank you, Brian
I think it's great that you want to do all three of these books! I think it would be best, though, to run them one at a time, rather than coordinating all three concurrently. If you run three at once, you'll in essence be splitting up your interested readers among the three, and so each book will take longer. Whereas focusing on one at a time means you'll have a stronger group of readers for each book, and that as each book finishes, you and your readers will all feel that motivating jolt of accomplishment that will propel you on to the next one.

You've already done the groundwork of setting up all three, and there's no reason to go through all that again, so I suggest you choose the one you'd like to start with, and we'll move the other two threads into Book Suggestions for safekeeping until you're ready for them.
Whatever you think best is fine with me. I came across this trilogy in Book Suggestions yesterday and replied that I would be happy to BC them. So, if two of them return there, then perhaps I should also modify my reply to Greg from last evening for clarity sake.

While each is a complete novel in itself, I believe they should be ordered as the author intended. First should be "Polaris of the Snows", follow then by "Minos of Sardanes" then, finally, "Polaris and the Goddess Glorian".

I've read sections in the Jason Croft series by Giesy and, similar to that, this series has proper names (and some other words) that are inventions of the author. For that reason, there is a pronunciation guide for the Croft series. Do you recommend that I attempt to create such a guide for this series?

Thanks.
[/quote]

I'm open to leaving as three separate projects, or combining as one. If someone will MC I will take their lead on this matter.
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Rapunzelina wrote: September 30th, 2022, 1:24 am Sorry, apparently I hadn't noticed you did launch them all :lol:

So my next question is, would you like to do them one at a time, or all together at the same time? And if all together, combining them in one project is also an option.
Hi! I do think it best that I follow the advice of those more experienced that I. I would listen to whatever the MC has to say as to the best way forward. Thanks!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I'd be glad to MC. I also don't feel strongly one way or the other, but we could follow the Jason Croft series example and run them one at a time. As for a pronunciation guide, that is up to you. I wouldn't be so strict as to correct the pronunciation if a reader read it their own way, but you could have one for those who'd like to use it.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Rapunzelina wrote: September 30th, 2022, 8:02 am I'd be glad to MC. I also don't feel strongly one way or the other, but we could follow the Jason Croft series example and run them one at a time. As for a pronunciation guide, that is up to you. I wouldn't be so strict as to correct the pronunciation if a reader read it their own way, but you could have one for those who'd like to use it.
Great! Thank you! Lets do "Polaris of the Snows" first. I won't do a pronunciation guide. Do we need to move this "Polaris and the Goddess Glorian" thread and the "Minos of Sardanes" one back to Book Suggestions? I have no idea how to do that. I'll look for MW setup in the "Polaris of the Snows" thread. Thanks yet again for your help.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Brian! Magic Window and first post are at your disposal!

Are you still DPLing?
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Rapunzelina wrote: March 29th, 2023, 2:08 pm Hi Brian! Magic Window and first post are at your disposal!

Are you still DPLing?
Hi Rapunzelina,

Thank you!

I'll work on the MW throughout the day, today. I'll definitely be adding sections to the MW. Starting with the second book in the series the chapters lengthened significantly. And that trend continues with this installment. I'll need to split the chapters to keep them at an allowable / manageable length. I'm starting on that work now. :|

I've thought some about DPL. It is time-consuming and does impact my own recording commitments. That's the downside. But, on the upside, I learn from PL which I suppose helps me with my recording. Then, there's the fact that I am loathe to abandon ship, even it the crew of the Minnetonka must! :shock: (Spoiler Alert!) :lol:

On balance, yes, I'd like to DPL. At least I'll plan on that for now. If I feel that I'm losing my balance and in danger of falling I'll seek :help:

Best wishes,
Brian
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Thither layest the realm of Readers Wanted! Leteth us makest haste, fair damsel! :D
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Here we go!
PeaceGalley

Post by PeaceGalley »

How would you like a volunteer for sections 0, 1 and 2? Seems an interesting story you've picked and I love me an old mysterious action drama with Scots peppered in!
First LibriVox listen was The Black Arrow by R.L.S. Now I try to give back.
More me at my site.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

PeaceGalley wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 1:14 am How would you like a volunteer for sections 0, 1 and 2? Seems an interesting story you've picked and I love me an old mysterious action drama with Scots peppered in!
I would feel as though my ship has come in! And let me tell you, it's a good feeling! :D
russcallawag

Post by russcallawag »

Hello,

I would like to claim sections 3 and 4.

Russ
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

russcallawag wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 2:42 pm Hello,

I would like to claim sections 3 and 4.

Russ
They're yours. Thanks.

Brian