COMPLETE [Action & Adventure Fiction] Minos of Sardanes by Charles B. Stilson - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Minos of Sardanes, by Charles B. Stilson (1880 - 1932)

This project is complete and all audio files can be found in the catalogue: https://librivox.org/minos-of-sardanes-by-charles-b-stilson/
The micro cosmos of Sardanes faces macro calamity as climatic disruption and social upheaval threaten its existence. Its inhabitants, an ancient race that has preserved a mythical culture through thousands of years in isolation, are doomed. But by virtue of their extraordinary deeds, an heroic couple, King Minos and his comely Queen Memene, might effect an escape. A relief expedition under the auspices of the American Geographic Society led by Zenas Wright and championed by Polaris Janess is on it’s way! And it might arrive in the nick of time! (Summary by Brian Fullen)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/67029

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
Genres for the project: Action & Adventure Fiction
Keywords that describe the book: trilogy, Occult, lost race, microcosmos

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of Minos of Sardanes. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Minos of Sardanes, by Charles B. Stilson. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Minos of Sardanes, by Charles B. Stilson."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: minosofsardanes_##_stilson_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. minosofsardanes_01_stilson_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Rapunzelina

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by BrianFullen on March 4th, 2023, 7:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Story #2 of the Trilogy! Let's stay in the Launch Pad for a day or two, so that people can see what's launching, and you fill in the Magic Window.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Rapunzelina wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 2:20 pm Story #2 of the Trilogy! Let's stay in the Launch Pad for a day or two, so that people can see what's launching, and you fill in the Magic Window.
You know best! Thanks.
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Readers Wanted, here we come!
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Rapunzelina wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 12:56 pm Readers Wanted, here we come!
Yay!
tjperkins

Post by tjperkins »

Hi, I'd be happy to take a chapter. Such as Chapter 1, for instance. Don't usually read book chapters. More into dramatic works and short story collectioins. But not seeing anything open in those threads that appeals to me right now.
Ted Perkins - Longtime Librivox listener, reading volunteer since early 2022
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

tjperkins wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 4:34 pm Hi, I'd be happy to take a chapter. Such as Chapter 1, for instance. Don't usually read book chapters. More into dramatic works and short story collectioins. But not seeing anything open in those threads that appeals to me right now.
Great. Happy to have you.
tjperkins

Post by tjperkins »

Hi - just preparing to record this by making a first reading, and realizing there's a few names that I'm either not sure how to pronounce or there are alternative possible pronunciations recommended at places like m-w.com, pronouncenames or whatever. Just thought I'd ask if there are preferences? Below I list a few that I'm not sure of and some alternate pronunciations.

Minos = MINE-ose or MEAN-ose or MEAN-us
Sardanes = sahr-DANEs or sare-DANEs
Sabine = SAY-bine or SAY-been or SAH-bine or SAH-been
MacKechnie = ? never seen this name before, but I suppose mac-KECK-knee or mac-KE_K_-knee (here _K_ is supposed to be underline K, as in the sound at the start of Challah bread)
Zenas = ZEE-nas or ZAY-nas ro ZEE-nus or ZAY-nus

Since this book is a sequel, maybe some of these pronounciations are established in reading the first book?

See also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSZMnipQdGU at 4:00 ;)
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

tjperkins wrote: November 26th, 2022, 7:10 pm Hi - just preparing to record this by making a first reading, and realizing there's a few names that I'm either not sure how to pronounce or there are alternative possible pronunciations recommended at places like m-w.com, pronouncenames or whatever. Just thought I'd ask if there are preferences? Below I list a few that I'm not sure of and some alternate pronunciations.

Minos = MINE-ose or MEAN-ose or MEAN-us
Sardanes = sahr-DANEs or sare-DANEs
Sabine = SAY-bine or SAY-been or SAH-bine or SAH-been
MacKechnie = ? never seen this name before, but I suppose mac-KECK-knee or mac-KE_K_-knee (here _K_ is supposed to be underline K, as in the sound at the start of Challah bread)
Zenas = ZEE-nas or ZAY-nas ro ZEE-nus or ZAY-nus

Since this book is a sequel, maybe some of these pronounciations are established in reading the first book?

See also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSZMnipQdGU at 4:00 ;)
Very thoughtful on your part. I truly appreciate that.

I did a little recording (just four, rather lengthy sections across two books) for the Jason Croft trilogy. That project, though Standard PL, did specify consistent pronunciation across all books. When we kicked off Polaris of the Snows I briefly discussed the notion of standardized pronunciation for recurring characters and place names with Rapunzelina. In the end, we jointly decided that we would not enforce such rules. I don't think it makes sense to reverse that decision mid-course. I'm OK with you using your best judgement. But truly, I am impressed with the research you have done.

If it would make you feel more comfortable, I will re-listen to sample recordings that make use of the above list of proper names (and from a variety of readers) in Polaris of the Snows and then reply to you with a "sense" of what was commonly used.

I don't know that I've ever met anyone named MacKechnie myself (maybe I have) but I have heard this name said on many occasions and I would say that you were spot on with your first thought, i.e. mac-KECK-knee. In fact, in every instance you have listed, I would say that your first impression was enlightened.

Best wishes,
Brian
LusciousLucas

Post by LusciousLucas »

I'd love to take the entirety of Chapter 2 (parts 1 and 2)! Enjoying the imagery in this so far
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

LusciousLucas wrote: November 28th, 2022, 7:05 pm I'd love to take the entirety of Chapter 2 (parts 1 and 2)! Enjoying the imagery in this so far
You got 'em! Thank you.
tjperkins

Post by tjperkins »

BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

tjperkins wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 3:11 pm Section 1 here:

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/minosofsardanes_01_stilson_128kb.mp3

14:39.7 long.
PLOK: fabulous read! I enjoyed every word of it. I hope to hear more from you; on this project or another. I think I'll look you up in the catalog to see what you've done.
tjperkins

Post by tjperkins »

BrianFullen wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 3:38 pm

PLOK: fabulous read! I enjoyed every word of it. I hope to hear more from you; on this project or another. I think I'll look you up in the catalog to see what you've done.
Thanks very much. :) I might read more of this book; I'm considering it. Normally I don't read book chapters. Normally I do dramatic readings or individual stories in collections. That's largely because when I _listen_ to books on librivox, I usually prefer solo reads, rather than multi-reader books. The different reading styles in a multi-reader book can throw off my enjoyment. (Or sometimes I just can't understand some readers, and then I basically miss a chapter.) If you can recommend a story collection or dramatic reading project in need of a reader, I'm listening!
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

tjperkins wrote: December 4th, 2022, 7:32 am
BrianFullen wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 3:38 pm

Thanks very much. :) I might read more of this book; I'm considering it. Normally I don't read book chapters. Normally I do dramatic readings or individual stories in collections. That's largely because when I _listen_ to books on librivox, I usually prefer solo reads, rather than multi-reader books. The different reading styles in a multi-reader book can throw off my enjoyment. (Or sometimes I just can't understand some readers, and then I basically miss a chapter.) If you can recommend a story collection or dramatic reading project in need of a reader, I'm listening!
If I come across a story collection or dramatic reading project to BC I'll reach out. Thanks.