[SOLO] Human, All-Too-Human Part 2 by Nietzsche - tg

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
unreadpages

Post by unreadpages »

Human, All-Too-Human Part 2, by Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900), translated by Paul Cohn (1884 - 1956)

Volunteers outside the USA: Paul Cohn died in 1956. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
Unlike his first book, The Birth of Tragedy, which was written in essay style, Human, All Too Human is a collection of aphorisms, a style which Nietzsche would use in many of his subsequent works.

The aphorisms of Human, All Too Human range from a few words to a few pages, but most are short paragraphs. The 638 aphorisms of the first installment are divided by subject into nine sections, with a short poem as an epilogue. The eponymous phrase itself appears in Aphorism 35 (originally conceived as the first aphorism) 'when Nietzsche observes that maxims about human nature can help in overcoming life's hard moments'. Implicit also, is a drive to overcome what is human, all too human through understanding it, through philosophy.[7]: xix  The second and third installments are an additional 408 and 350 aphorisms respectively. (Summary by Wikipedia)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://gutenberg.org/files/37841/37841-h/37841-h.html#toc3

Target completion date: 2023-01-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Human, All-Too-Human Part 2. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Human, All-Too-Human Part 2, by Friedrich Nietzsche, translated by Paul Cohn. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Human, All-Too-Human Part 2, by Friedrich Nietzsche, translated by Paul Cohn. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Human, All-Too-Human Part 2, by Friedrich Nietzsche, translated by Paul Cohn."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: humanalltoohumanpart2_##_nietzsche_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. humanalltoohumanpart2_01_nietzsche_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, this is set up. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
unreadpages

Post by unreadpages »

Hi,
On looking at the caveat regarding translator's copyright dates in Australia, it looks as if maybe I shouldn't record this after all.
What do you think?
Peter
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Drat! That's probably the best plan.

I'll clear this out in a few hours.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Actually, if I may:
I'd been eyeing this project as one I might DPL, if I was sure I had the time. If I'm not speaking out of turn here, could I adopt this as my own first solo?
I'm in the US, so at least don't have that copyright concern.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sure! I'll sub you in, and you should be good to go.

EDIT: You should have MW access, just like when you're a DPL.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Thank you! I'll take the opportunity to look around and re-read what the wiki says about those buttons I've never touched. :lol:

If you as MC, or you, unreadpages, have suggestions on the process, I'm open to them. Otherwise, I've got some ideas to get me started. :wink:

Will listen to the first one for some idea of how things are handled there...
But since there aren't "divisions", I think I'll label each section with "### to ###", for easy number reference. I'll probably also shoot for sections a little shorter than the first one has, perhaps at 15-25 minutes, whatever feels right.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sounds like a plan. :)
unreadpages

Post by unreadpages »

Sad that I can't read this one, but happy to see it going to a good home.
I was thinking of there being about ten pages to a section which is how I came up with the 37 sections, but that would have been very much open to adjustment depending on how long ten pages took.
Bon voyage!
Peter
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Things look far enough along here that I'll move this to Going Solo. :)
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Thanks both!
I'll try ten pages on for size, and see how it fits. :wink:
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Intro & Preface is finally up. Pacing is going to be uneven, and I most likely won't meet the target date from the first post.

I'm in no hurry, so I'll be happy with either a DPL or some drive-by PLs whenever someone's interested. :wink:

Edit: Thanks, duration is updated.
Last edited by redrun on October 20th, 2022, 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Don't forget to put the run time in the Notes field. :)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section zero PL OK!
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Thanks, Kevin!