[COMPLETE][Solo][Animal fiction]Smoky The Cow Horse - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JoniVaat

Post by JoniVaat »

Smoky The Cow Horse, by Will James (1892 - 1942)

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/smoky-the-cowhorse-by-will-james/
This is a novel by Will James, an artist and writer of the American West in the early 1900’s. The story tells of the life of Smoky, a horse born in the wild and captured by a cowboy named Clint who trained him to be an outstanding cow horse. Smoky was then stolen by a horse thief, and over the years was mistreated and abused. But Clint never stopped looking for his special horse. (Summary by JAVaat)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89052496528&view=1up&seq=8

Target completion date: 2022-12-20

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section # of Smoky The Cow Horse.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"Smoky The Cow Horse, by Will James.
Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section # of Smoky The Cow Horse, by Will James.
This LibriVox recording is in the public domain."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #."
[Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Smoky The Cow Horse, by Will James."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: smokythecowhorse_##_james_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. smokythecowhorse_01_james_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by JoniVaat on January 26th, 2023, 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
JoniVaat

Post by JoniVaat »

Hope I did this correctly. I couldn’t get the genre to cooperate for me, so that will have to be completed later.
Joni
cattleman1

Post by cattleman1 »

Looks like a great Project, read the preface, very nice, this will be a good one!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

this looks like a good book for a first solo. (though I read the synopsis on wikipedia...cruelty to animals makes me cringe). :(

I can MC this for you.

@cattleman1: were you proposing to DPL this project ? :hmm:

Magic Window will be up in a minute...

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

JoniVaat wrote: September 13th, 2022, 12:38 pmHope I did this correctly. I couldn’t get the genre to cooperate for me, so that will have to be completed later.
I put "Nature and animal fiction" as genre, will that be ok with you ?

All right, your MW is ready to be filled in. I see you were already DPL, so you are familiar with the access and handling of the MW. Now you only need to fill in the chapter titles and pages for easy reference for the DPL.

Any further questions, let me know.

Good luck with your first solo. :)

Sonia
JoniVaat

Post by JoniVaat »

Kitty wrote: September 16th, 2022, 7:18 am this looks like a good book for a first solo. (though I read the synopsis on wikipedia...cruelty to animals makes me cringe). :(

I can MC this for you.

@cattleman1: were you proposing to DPL this project ? :hmm:

Magic Window will be up in a minute...

Sonia
Thank you so much! (I agree about the animal cruelty - even much more so with cruelty to humans, especially kids! But in this book I hope that the special relationship between Clint and Smoky comes through as the underlying warmth of the story! I hope I can find the reading voice to do justice to the book!)
JoniVaat

Post by JoniVaat »

Kitty wrote: September 16th, 2022, 7:37 am
JoniVaat wrote: September 13th, 2022, 12:38 pmHope I did this correctly. I couldn’t get the genre to cooperate for me, so that will have to be completed later.
I put "Nature and animal fiction" as genre, will that be ok with you ?

All right, your MW is ready to be filled in. I see you were already DPL, so you are familiar with the access and handling of the MW. Now you only need to fill in the chapter titles and pages for easy reference for the DPL.

Any further questions, let me know.

Good luck with your first solo. :)

Sonia
Ok, thanks! I might not get to setting this up before Monday.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

JoniVaat wrote: September 16th, 2022, 8:16 amOk, thanks! I might not get to setting this up before Monday.
no worries, take your time. Meanwhile we'll wait for confirmation on the DPL job here.

Sonia
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Hi, If cattleman1 doesn't want the DPL job, I will happily do it.
Christine
cattleman1

Post by cattleman1 »

Christine, thank you. Actually I have a big project outside of LV that I’m currently involved in.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

brownrottger wrote: September 19th, 2022, 7:16 amHi, If cattleman1 doesn't want the DPL job, I will happily do it.
Christine
thank you Christine :thumbs: you're up for DPL then.

I see the MW is filled in as well, so we can move to Going Solo

Have fun, you two. I hope the story is not too sad.

Sonia
JoniVaat

Post by JoniVaat »

brownrottger wrote: September 19th, 2022, 7:16 am Hi, If cattleman1 doesn't want the DPL job, I will happily do it.
Christine
Thank you so much, Christine!
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

JoniVaat wrote: September 19th, 2022, 8:42 am
brownrottger wrote: September 19th, 2022, 7:16 am Hi, If cattleman1 doesn't want the DPL job, I will happily do it.
Christine
Thank you so much, Christine!
Entirely my pleasure!
JoniVaat

Post by JoniVaat »

Ok, I got a start here. Preface is up, ready for PL!

Joni
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

JoniVaat wrote: September 21st, 2022, 10:59 amOk, I got a start here. Preface is up, ready for PL!
you just need to put the status to Ready for PL in the last column and you're all set :)

good start.

Sonia