COMPLETE Childe Harold's Pilgrimage Cantos 1&2 - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Childe Harold's Pilgrimage: Cantos 1&2, by George Gordon, Lord Byron (1788 - 1824)

This project is complete and all audiofiles can be found in the catalogue: https://librivox.org/childe-harolds-pilgrimage-cantos-i-ii-by-george-gordon-lord-byron/

Childe Harold's Pilgrimage is a narrative poem in four parts written by Lord Byron. It was published between 1812 and 1818. The poem describes the travels and reflections of a world-weary young man who, disillusioned with a life of pleasure and revelry, looks for distraction in foreign lands. In a wider sense, it is an expression of the melancholy and disillusionment felt by a generation weary of the wars of the post-Revolutionary and Napoleonic eras.
The title comes from the term Childe, a medieval title for a young man who was a candidate for knighthood.
Cantos 1 & 2 describes Harold's travels in Iberia and the Mediterranean. (Summary by Alan Mapstone)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/5131

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 1 month of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Special
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: JiSruLq3
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Byron (George Gordon, Lord Byron)
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Childe_Harold's_Pilgrimage
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 11
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: Yes
  • Original publication date (if known): 1812
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

Genres for the project: Poetry/Narratives

Keywords that describe the book: poetry, travel, English, byron

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Dedication to Childe Harold's Pilgrimage: Cantos 1&2. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Childe Harold's Pilgrimage: Cantos 1&2, by George Gordon, Lord Byron. To Ianthe."
End of recording: say:
"End of Dedication." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
For the second and subsequent sections say:
"Section # of Childe Harold's Pilgrimage: Cantos 1&2, by George Gordon, Lord Byron. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Recording by your name, city."] "Section Title."
End of recording say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Recording by your name, city."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Childe Harold's Pilgrimage: Cantos 1&2, by George Gordon, Lord Byron."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

PLEASE DO NOT READ THE VERSE NUMBERS

Filename: childeharoldspilgrimagecanto12_##_byron_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. childeharoldspilgrimagecanto12_01_byron_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Rapunzelina

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by alanmapstone on September 14th, 2022, 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Having recorded Canto 4 of this poem as a group recording and Canto 3 as a solo (in progress) I would like to complete the recording by doing Cantos 1&2 as another group project.

I will DPL this one myself, but I will need some help with any sections I read.

I have divided the text into sections of approx. 20 verses of 9 lines each (about 180 lines or 1500 words) These sections should be 12-15 minutes.
Alan
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

If your objective is to have the poem in the catalogue, there is already a complete solo version. If your objective is to have a group version of it, then that's a different matter, I just wanted to make sure you were aware. :)
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Rapunzelina wrote: August 31st, 2022, 3:37 am If your objective is to have the poem in the catalogue, there is already a complete solo version. If your objective is to have a group version of it, then that's a different matter, I just wanted to make sure you were aware. :)
Yes, I am aware of the existing recording but I think this is different enough being mainly a group project to be worth doing. It will also be structured a bit differently.

If I recall correctly you read couple of sections in the canto 4 recording :wink:
Alan
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Yes I did read :mrgreen:

...setting this up.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

MW is in place!

Is it your preference to have "section 0 of [...]" in the intro? You could also have something like "Dedication to [...]" / "End of Dedication" instead.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Rapunzelina wrote: August 31st, 2022, 4:17 am MW is in place!
Is it your preference to have "section 0 of [...]" in the intro? You could also have something like "Dedication to [...]" / "End of Dedication" instead.
Thanks for setting this up :thumbs:
I will fill in MW later this afternoon.
I was pondering what to do with the intro to the first section and I think I will make it dedication. I am going to read that section myself so I can decide when I record.
Alan
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

MW is done and we are good to go. Let's see if we have any takers :?
Alan
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I've just moved us to Readers Wanted!
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Section 0 is Ready for PL! if anyone would be kind enough to PL it for me :help:

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/childeharoldspilgrimagecanto12_00_byron_128kb.mp3
Alan
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Alan! Section 0 is PL OK! Marked so in the MW.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Rapunzelina wrote: September 1st, 2022, 3:16 pm Hi Alan! Section 0 is PL OK! Marked so in the MW.
Thanks, Rapunzelina :thumbs:
Apparently this poem is addressed to the 11 year old daughter of Byron's mistress at the time with whom he became rather obsessed :hmm:
Alan
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Section 1 is now Ready for PL! if anyone is kind enough to check it for me :help:

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/childeharoldspilgrimagecanto12_01_byron_128kb.mp3
Alan
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Alan! I've listened to Section 1, and have a question. For stanza 13, shouldn't also the "Good Night" poem be included?
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Rapunzelina wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 5:01 am Hi Alan! I've listened to Section 1, and have a question. For stanza 13, shouldn't also the "Good Night" poem be included?
You are quite right, I think I must have had brain fade :lol:

I will mark it See PL Notes and add it in for Spot PL!
Probably not until next week.

Were there any other errors?
Alan