[COMPLETE] American Hero-Myths: A Study in the Native Religions of the Western Continent - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

American Hero-Myths: A Study in the Native Religions of the Western Continent, by Daniel Garrison Brinton (1837 - 1899)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/american-hero-myths-by-daniel-garrison-brinton/
This work was done to begin to draw distinction between myth and reality in the Native American hero lore. It comes at a time when not much on the subject was determined, or possibly even considered worthy of further study. This may be the first deep dive into the cultural beliefs of the first Americans. The Native Americans. (Summary by afutterer)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/11029
Please read only from this document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/160rVud7ZPfRcpGUKmeFKxorcoSvTMWbeR-PHSLr-Ki4/edit?usp=sharing
Please utilize the first section of the Google Document for pronunciation of the main names that are associated with the title of the myths. This way we can be sure that name phonetics will be similar across the entire work. All other names and words that appear can be pronounced the best you can manage.
*** I WILL NOT PL this work to check for language pronunciation.
*** I WiLL check that all the names that appear in the titles are read uniformly.

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
I (afutterer) will PL this work.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
The information to read for the introduction has been included in the Google Doc for ease of reading.

End of recording:
Say:
The information to read for the end of the recording has been included in the Google Doc for ease of reading.

Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: americanheromyths_##_brinton_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. americanheromyths_01_brinton_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by afutterer on August 28th, 2022, 7:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

Note to anyone looking at this project.
I had an inner battle with myself to do something so complex. This may be the most intensive project I have BC'd. (Though I did some DPL on some dramatic work collaborations and that would be a step above this in intensity I believe.) At the end of the day, I really want this in Librivox catalog because it is very important to me to get more Native American material in there and this particular work is incredible in it's depth and breadth.
This will be a difficult project to break apart intelligibly as there are so many hyper links etc. in the text. I don't really want this to jump around so it may end up being a work that is done verbatim to the text. I would have to move quite a bit of material around to get it all to make sense otherwise. I am concerned that doing this removes from the work itself. However, please be aware that this may end up being very customized layout using google docs, or it may be vanilla that way it is written. Either way it will take a good amount of time to determine how to section it and there will most likely be many, many sections when it is all set up and may take a long time to complete. I am willing to make the commitment here and I ask all others volunteering to MC or record to also be willing to do the same. I take this on with full intentions of seeing it through to completion.
Thank you for understanding!
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

Update: I will now begin thinking about how to break this work apart. Using a Google Doc I hope to wrangle this challenge in and have something ready asap to get this project moving.
Anthony

msfry

Post by msfry »

I'd love to participate and learn more about Native Religions, but I wonder if we're allowed to cobble different texts together except as a "collection" of stories or essays, and look forward to seeing how this goes.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I assume the cobbling together is all from this text - putting the footnotes in where they go within the main text, etc. - rather than from other texts. If I'm not mistaken, it's more a "scripting" of this text to make it easier on the readers, so they don't have to do all the jumping back and forth themselves.

Is this correct, afutterer?

I think we MC's are holding off on setting this up until you've got your ducks in a row - know how many sections it's going to be, etc., because it doesn't make sense to start a MW until that is all decided. And if you're making "scripts", it doesn't make sense to set up the project until the scripts are ready for readers. :) In a way, it would have worked just as well or better to get all that sorted out before putting the project in the Launch Pad. *shrug*
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
msfry

Post by msfry »

Oh, I see, it is all in one book.

Looking at the text itself, it seems fairly straightforward what to read. The links take you to the text you need to read. Each footnote number takes you to the footnote text, and hitting the back arrow takes you right back to where you were before in the main text. I sure would not want to cobble several hundred footnotes together into a linear text doc. That and word counts could take weeks. Yep, big project.
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

Thank you TriciaG. I have responded in kind to the parts of your message below.
I assume the cobbling together is all from this text - putting the footnotes in where they go within the main text, etc. - rather than from other texts. If I'm not mistaken, it's more a "scripting" of this text to make it easier on the readers, so they don't have to do all the jumping back and forth themselves.

Is this correct, afutterer?
This is correct. The text has links within it to bring the reader back and forth between [footnote] style stories and the body of the text. It is very weird arrangement that I have not completely studied yet as I was setting up another project you recently viewed, on Consumption. Though it seems that our interested reader so far, Michele, has found that it is quite simple to follow. Maybe I am overthinking things. I will take another look to see what I think of it. Might not need to script it out. Just provide a little guidance in the MW when it is ready.
I think we MC's are holding off on setting this up until you've got your ducks in a row - know how many sections it's going to be, etc., because it doesn't make sense to start a MW until that is all decided. And if you're making "scripts", it doesn't make sense to set up the project until the scripts are ready for readers. :) In a way, it would have worked just as well or better to get all that sorted out before putting the project in the Launch Pad. *shrug*
Understood and agreed. I should have spent a little more time getting this one organized before posting to the LP. I don't think I can take it down though, so I guess it will be stuck there until I am ready. Although, I really thought this would be the tough one to set up, I am not sure anymore. It seems that may have been the other project and this one may be quite simple. We will see.

Thanks for all your responses. Next time I will wait to post something like this until I am ready to take it live. :oops: Live and learn right! :lol:
Anthony

msfry

Post by msfry »

The issue I see is getting an approximate word count. You have to make sure no section goes over an hour, or roughly 10,000 words, in which case you'd want to divide it in half, at least. And I prefer sections no longer than 4000 words myself, if possible. All that increases your Section #'s. You need to know that before you set up your MW. And then not all footnotes are informative enough to be included. Copying and pasting to a Word document is good for getting word count, but then you'll end up with the Google Doc you were talking about anyway. :shock:
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

msfry wrote: August 21st, 2022, 11:15 pm The issue I see is getting an approximate word count. You have to make sure no section goes over an hour, or roughly 10,000 words, in which case you'd want to divide it in half, at least. And I prefer sections no longer than 4000 words myself, if possible. All that increases your Section #'s. You need to know that before you set up your MW. And then not all footnotes are informative enough to be included. Copying and pasting to a Word document is good for getting word count, but then you'll end up with the Google Doc you were talking about anyway. :shock:
Indeed. That is exactly what I was thinking would be the difficult part. However, the MW would be most helpful to just enter as I go... I will make my own Excel MW then I can just port that information over when the real one is up.
Anthony

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

If you have a better idea of the number of sections (it doesn't have to be exact, but a good ballpark guess), I can set this up for you... after supper. :P
msfry

Post by msfry »

afutterer wrote: August 22nd, 2022, 8:14 am However, the MW would be most helpful to just enter as I go... I will make my own Excel MW then I can just port that information over when the real one is up.
I'd be careful not to post anything to the MW until you are SURE where each section starts and ends. There is no rush. Take your time. Get it right. Readers sometimes grab sections fast, then it's awful to have to ask them to make changes because you need to slip in a section between what's already been recorded. Been there, done that, no fun for anyone. :(
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

TriciaG wrote: August 24th, 2022, 2:16 pm If you have a better idea of the number of sections (it doesn't have to be exact, but a good ballpark guess), I can set this up for you... after supper. :P
Thanks Tricia! I appreciate you offering to help me on this project!

I have been working on this in my down time to parse in desired footnotes and to try to determine a logical way to break this apart. I should have the final google doc written up in the next day or two. I imagine you will then just check it over. After that I can fill in the MW and we are off to "Readers Wanted"! :D

I believe this will be about 16 sections, I can add more another 1-2 if I need them. The crumby thing is that I would have to bother you to delete any that I end up not needing, because I cannot do it. So if I have you set up for what I may need, and I don't need them all, you will have to edit it again!

General question:

It is easiest for me to just have the MW set up with a few blank rows and then just add in what I need. That is what I had in mind when I posted this in the LP. Is that generally frowned upon by MC's? Like I should have some pretty good idea to ask for sections before posting?

Thanks again Tricia. I look forward to working with you on this one.
Anthony

afutterer

Post by afutterer »

msfry wrote: August 24th, 2022, 3:01 pm
afutterer wrote: August 22nd, 2022, 8:14 am However, the MW would be most helpful to just enter as I go... I will make my own Excel MW then I can just port that information over when the real one is up.
I'd be careful not to post anything to the MW until you are SURE where each section starts and ends. There is no rush. Take your time. Get it right. Readers sometimes grab sections fast, then it's awful to have to ask them to make changes because you need to slip in a section between what's already been recorded. Been there, done that, no fun for anyone. :(
That makes TOTAL SENSE. Thank you for the explanation. I don't think I have ever had to deal with that, but man would be a difficult situation to be in!
Anthony

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It drives me a bit bonkers, personally, because I often look at the project status table (a version of it is here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Project_Status_Table), and when the section counts are all wacky, it throws off the list of my MC projects.

It's also nice to have an idea how large a project is. If someone starts a group project saying it's going to be 5 sections and it balloons to 30 sections, the MC may feel a bit deceived (they had agreed to MC a short project which may not take long, dependent on, say, their personal commitments and schedule, and suddenly it's a lot bigger).

It's not a HUGE deal, but it's nice to at least be in the general area when it comes to the number of sections.

And it's not a lot of work to delete sections for an admin. That's a matter of going into the MW and clicking on an X, then waiting for the page to refresh. 2 or 3, no big deal, but a bit more painful at 20. :lol:

OK, I'll set this up at 16 sections, and you can add some more if needed. (EDIT: I did 17: 16, plus the section 0 preface.)
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

Thanks Tricia. I will try to fill it in very soon.
Anthony