COMPLETE: Of All Things by Robert Benchley - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Asproule1984

Post by Asproule1984 »

Of All Things, by Robert Benchley (1889 - 1945)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/of-all-things-by-robert-c-benchley-2/

a collection of exaggerated stories about the common man. Dry and deadpan style of humor. Dedicated to my father, Michael Earl Sproule. ( July 12, 1947- February 21, 2023) (Summary by Aaron Sproule)

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/37660

Target completion date: 2022-12-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks![/color]

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Humor and Satire

Keywords that describe the book: Comedy, Satire

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Of All Things. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Of All Things, by Robert Benchley. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Of All Things, by Robert Benchley. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Of All Things, by Robert Benchley."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: ofallthings_##_benchley_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. ofallthings_01_benchley_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Asproule1984 on March 10th, 2023, 7:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Nice work on figuring out the Project Template Generator, this is much better! Some of the formatting code near the beginning seems to be missing, and I'm not sure how that might have happened. But it is just formatting, and as far as I can tell, all of the important information is here. :thumbs:

To make it easier on other volunteers who are accustomed to the format we use, I will go ahead and add in the missing pieces for you this time. Next time, just be sure that you copy and paste ALL of the code that appears, just as it is. :D

(Note that this post does not mean that I'm planning to pick up this project at this time.)
Asproule1984

Post by Asproule1984 »

Thanks a lot. Can I still work on the project in the mean time?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Yes. Just don't upload until you have an MC.
Asproule1984

Post by Asproule1984 »

Will do. Thanks again.
Moukthika

Post by Moukthika »

Hi,
I can DPL for you once the things are all set.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I'll get this set up for you Aaron. MW will be up shortly.
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

This project is now set up in the database. Since this will be your first project as soloist/book coordinator(BC), you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the "Magic Window" in the top post. Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler. 

First Time Logging in to the Workflow

Instructions for BCs and DPLs

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.

BCs - How to Update the Magic Window

If you have any questions, let me know. Since we have a DPL on board, I will move this thread to Going Solo once you have acknowledged that you have seen it. Looking forward to working with you.
Jo
Asproule1984

Post by Asproule1984 »

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi Asproule. When you post a section, you need to update the MW with the link and the file length. Then change the status from Assigned to Ready for PL. I'll do this one for you as an example, but it's your job as the soloist/BC to keep the MW updated. That also includes entering the section titles.
Jo
Asproule1984

Post by Asproule1984 »

Will do. Thanks.
Moukthika

Post by Moukthika »

Hi Asproule

Everything is good in the preface.
Asproule1984

Post by Asproule1984 »

Evening all. sorry for the silence on my end. Work and life happened. Got part 1 done. Will update the magic window right after and record for a few hours to try and catch up.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/ofallthings_01_benchley_128kb.mp3
Moukthika

Post by Moukthika »

Asproule1984 wrote: July 29th, 2022, 8:44 pm Evening all. sorry for the silence on my end. Work and life happened. Got part 1 done. Will update the magic window right after and record for a few hours to try and catch up.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/ofallthings_01_benchley_128kb.mp3
Hi,
No need to be sorry, we do it at our pace :) .
Regarding the part 1, there a few things I noticed and I am listing them below.
You should start narration/reading after 0.5 to 1 sec at the beginning.
@ 2:56 - there is a sudden increase in the volume (even though not too much but I'd suggest you to take care of it )
@ 4:46 - missed a line in text "In fact, the two cases ..." (please refer the text)
You should end with 5 sec silence.

These are a few corrections I would suggest. And your narration is really great :thumbs:
Asproule1984

Post by Asproule1984 »

Thank you much. I have a question for future reference. Should I up load multiple files at once, or one at a time for convenience? I also have part 2 done and ready for PL. And Magic Window is updated with new link for section 1.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/ofallthings_02_benchley_128kb.mp3