COMPLETE: White April by Harold Vinal -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Laur

Post by Laur » June 11th, 2022, 8:10 pm

White April by Harold Vinal (1891 - 1965)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/white-april-by-harold-vinal/

Volunteers outside the USA: Harold Vinal died in 1965. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
Forty-four poems are listed in 5 sections. The sections are: Golden Windows, Sonnets for Weeping, Of Mariners, White Glamour, and Overtones. Harold Vinal writes about deep feelings regarding people, places, and the beauty of nature, often with raw heartfelt emotion. (Summary by Laurie Banza)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://theotherpages.org/poems/books/vinal/vinal01.html

Target completion date:

Prooflistening level: Word Perfect
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
Genres for the project: Poetry/Single author

Keywords that describe the book: #poetry #, #sonnets, #mariners, #maine

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Part 1 (Section Title) of White April, by Harold Vinal. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "White April, by Harold Vinal. Chapter 1 and Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Chapter # of White April, by Harold Vinal. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." "Chapter Title."
Only when starting new Section, say: "Part "#", (Section Title) of White April, by Harold Vinal. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." , Chapter "#", (Chapter Title).

End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #, and at end of final chapter add: "End of White April, by Harold Vinal ."

Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: whiteaprill_##_vinal_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. whiteapril_01_vinal_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Laur on June 13th, 2022, 10:55 am, edited 5 times in total.
~ Laurie ✨
"Love sees not with the eyes, but with the mind." – William Shakespeare

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » June 12th, 2022, 2:30 pm

Hi Laurie,

I can MC this for you.  Since this will be your first project as soloist/book coordinator(BC), here are some informational links for entering and editing information in the section compiler. Since it looks like you have been a DPL, you should already have a workflow password so of this will be familiar to you.

Instructions for BCs and DPLs

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.

BCs - How to Update the Magic Window

If you have any questions, let me know. I'll leave this thread here in the Launch Pad for a day or so longer before I move it to the Going Solo forum, to see if a DPL volunteers. Looking forward to working with you.
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Hypotheses usually spring up like mushrooms in every dark corner of science. You get a score of them to explain the slightest obscurity. - C. Nordmann

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » June 12th, 2022, 2:38 pm

For future reference when filling out the template - only include the actual title of the book itself in the title field. Keywords should be the words only - no hash tags (#). :)
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Hypotheses usually spring up like mushrooms in every dark corner of science. You get a score of them to explain the slightest obscurity. - C. Nordmann

Laur

Post by Laur » June 12th, 2022, 3:13 pm

knotyouraveragejo wrote:
June 12th, 2022, 2:38 pm
For future reference when filling out the template - only include the actual title of the book itself in the title field. Keywords should be the words only - no hash tags (#). :)
Thanks Jo. So just to make sure I understand correctly, it would only be "White April" - the author's name is totally separate in the template. Is that correct?
~ Laurie ✨

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » June 12th, 2022, 3:16 pm

Yes that's right. :) They are separate fields in the database.
Jo
My Librivox Solos

Laur

Post by Laur » June 12th, 2022, 3:25 pm

Also, a separate question.
Because there is 5 different named sections, Do I name these sections in the poem when switching between sections?

e.g. Section 2: Sonnets for Weeping, (Poem Title) Late and Soon ..... (read poem)

and then the next poem, just the title of the poem?

Only referencing the difference in sections (or parts) for the 1st poem in that section?
~ Laurie ✨

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » June 12th, 2022, 5:05 pm

I think that's fine, but it's up to you.
Jo
My Librivox Solos

Laur

Post by Laur » June 13th, 2022, 10:57 am

All poems are short in length. Chapters 1-5 ready for PL
~ Laurie ✨

Laur

Post by Laur » June 13th, 2022, 7:51 pm

Chapter 6-10 ready for PL
~ Laurie ✨

mentrel

Post by mentrel » June 16th, 2022, 1:43 pm

Hello,
I am new to this but I would like to PL Part I and II if that's ok? To be sure I understood correctly the process, once I am done I just post my comment if any?

Thanks!
Liz

Laur

Post by Laur » June 16th, 2022, 8:20 pm

Hi Liz, Thank you so much for offering to PL this. That means a lot! But, I don’t think this project will be well suited for you at this time.
I see that this is your very first post on the forum.

For me personally, in order to understand LibriVox AND to PL properly, I wanted to record a project first, to understand exactly how the recording and editing processes were done. That meant I had to download Audacity (or whatever recording software) and the file checker. Checking the technical specs in every file is an important task for every volunteer, and to every PL’er taking on the responsibility.

Also, There are also different levels of PL, according to what is being requested - what CAN BE said, and WHAT IS NOT be said.
There is helpful PL info here: viewtopic.php?p=318667#p318667

Liz, I’d like to encourage you to maintain your willing enthusiasm and desire, so as to become involved in many more projects!

Laur
~ Laurie ✨

mentrel

Post by mentrel » June 17th, 2022, 9:03 am

Laur wrote:
June 16th, 2022, 8:20 pm
Hi Liz, Thank you so much for offering to PL this. That means a lot! But, I don’t think this project will be well suited for you at this time.
I see that this is your very first post on the forum.

For me personally, in order to understand LibriVox AND to PL properly, I wanted to record a project first, to understand exactly how the recording and editing processes were done. That meant I had to download Audacity (or whatever recording software) and the file checker. Checking the technical specs in every file is an important task for every volunteer, and to every PL’er taking on the responsibility.

Also, There are also different levels of PL, according to what is being requested - what CAN BE said, and WHAT IS NOT be said.
There is helpful PL info here: viewtopic.php?p=318667#p318667

Liz, I’d like to encourage you to maintain your willing enthusiasm and desire, so as to become involved in many more projects!

Laur

Thank you for the suggestions. You're right it's my first post but everybody has to start somewhere, right? I already read the PL info multiple times. I was not comfortable recording a project as I am not a native English speaker (I know it's not an issue for the community but it is for me). I'll see if there is any other project where they accept new joiners. Thanks again for the feedback.

Liz

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » June 17th, 2022, 10:41 am

Hi Liz. Welcome to LibriVox. Everyone has their own way of learning the ropes here. It sounds like you are on the right track. This project has a word perfect PL request and obviously Laur would prefer an experienced DPL. Having said that, most projects would be happy to have you volunteer to PL so please don't be discouraged. Any project with a ~ before the title is looking for a prooflistener. If you are not comfortable reading in English, there are projects running in various other languages including some multilingual collections where you can choose something on your own to read. See here: viewforum.php?f=60
Jo
My Librivox Solos

Laur

Post by Laur » June 18th, 2022, 9:38 pm

All Sections have been recorded, and are now ready for PL.
Thank you.
~ Laurie ✨

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » June 19th, 2022, 2:33 pm

I've PL'd the first five poems for you Laur. Here are my notes

1 PL OK
2 @00:32 text is "Lest I hear"" - I hear "less I hear"
3 @ 00:14 delete noise after "Persephone"
4 PL OK
5 PL OK
Jo
My Librivox Solos