[COMPLETE] Charles Simeon, by Handley Carr Glyn Moule - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Charles Simeon, by Handley Carr Glyn Moule (1841 - 1920)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/charles-simeon-by-handley-carr-glyn-moule/
Charles Simeon had come up to King’s college from Eton, a wild undergraduate, famous for his love of horses and extravagance in dress; but one day he discovered that the rules of the college compelled him to receive the Communion on the following Sunday. He had lived in an utterly careless home, but he knew enough of religion to realise that attendance at the Lord’s Table was a serious thing, which should not be undertaken without some preparation. Not quite knowing what to do, he went to a bookseller’s shop, and bought a copy of Bishop Wilson on the Lord’s Supper, and learned from it for the first time the meaning of the Atonement. This was the turning point in his life. Henceforth all his energy was concentrated in a single channel. His one ambition was to make all Cambridge grasp this doctrine too.<br><br>
He became Fellow of his college, and then took Holy Orders, and was appointed (1783) Minister of Trinity Church, in the Market Place. Here he learnt what it meant to be known as an Evangelical. The seat-holders deserted the church in a body, and locked the great doors of the pews, so that no one else should use them. When Simeon placed forms in the aisles, the churchwardens threw them out into the churchyard, and for more than ten years his congregation had to stand. Rowdy bands of under graduates used to try to break up the service. “For many years,” wrote one of his contemporaries, “Trinity Church and the streets leading to it were the scenes of the most disgraceful tumults. In vain did Simeon exert himself to preserve order. In vain did Parish, who was popular with the under graduates, station himself outside the door to prevent improper conduct; though one undergraduate, who had been apprehended by Simeon, was compelled to read a public apology, the disturbances still continued.” “Those who worshipped at Trinity,” wrote another, “were supposed to have left common sense, discretion, sobriety, attachment to the Established Church, love of the liturgy, and whatever else is true and of good report, in the vestibule.”<br><br>
But Simeon went on with his work with quiet pertinacity, never deliberately doing anything to provoke opposition, but never flinching from declaring what he knew to be the truth, and won first toleration, and then recognition as the most inspiring teacher in Cambridge. Trinity Church was always crowded with undergraduates. His Friday Conversation Circle for the discussion of religious questions, his Bible Class and Doctrine Class never failed to fill his room at King’s with eager young disciples, and especially his famous Sermon Class, in which most of the Evangelical preachers of the next generation were trained. And this continued for fifty years with results which no man can estimate. A teacher so wise, so genial, so spiritual, moulding the lives of the men from whom the bulk of the clergy were drawn, acquired a position almost unique in the English Church. “If you knew what his authority and influence were,” wrote Lord Macaulay, who was himself at Cambridge in Simeon’s later days, “and how they extended from Cambridge to the most remote corners of England, you would allow that his real sway in the Church was far greater than that of any Primate.” Down to comparatively modern times in undergraduate slang an earnest Christian was always called a “Sim”.
(Summary by A History of the Evangelical Party in the Church of England by GR Balleine)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/charlessimeon00moulgoog/page/n13/mode/1up

Target completion date: 2022-07-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Charles Simeon. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Charles Simeon, by Handley Carr Glyn Moule. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Charles Simeon, by Handley Carr Glyn Moule. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Charles Simeon, by Handley Carr Glyn Moule."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: charlessimeon_##_moule_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. charlessimeon_01_moule_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
American Trials Vol. 3 95% 5 left!
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 93% 2 left!
Devotional Commentary: Apocalypse 85%
Emotions
PL pls: DPL DPL 43 27-28
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You're a machine! Do you do anything else besides record? :lol:

I'll set this up for you. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

mleigh has agreed to DPL this!
Emotions
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Did she via PM? I saw she volunteered for The Analogy of Religion to the Constitution and Course of Nature, but not this one. Please confirm. :)
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

TriciaG wrote: June 7th, 2022, 9:50 am Did she via PM? I saw she volunteered for The Analogy of Religion to the Constitution and Course of Nature, but not this one. Please confirm. :)
She did via PM.
mleigh wrote:June 7th, 2022, 8:03 am I can't post to either the Simeon or St Augustine work to PL those for you. If you could let the MC know and I'll start listening.
Emotions
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, great!

I wonder why she can't post... :hmm:
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

TriciaG wrote: June 7th, 2022, 11:00 am OK, great!

I think she was looking at the lcoked thread in Listeners Wanted instead of this one.
Emotions
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

InTheDesert wrote: June 7th, 2022, 11:05 am
TriciaG wrote: June 7th, 2022, 11:00 am OK, great!

I think she was looking at the lcoked thread in Listeners Wanted instead of this one.
I did a keyword search and picked the first entry which was obviously not correct. :)
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Chapters 1 and 3 are PL OK.

Chapter 2 has one repeat. At 0:09 and 0:12, the text "cambridge - conversion" is repeated.

Good job reading.

M
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

mleigh wrote: June 11th, 2022, 4:06 pm Chapter 2 has one repeat. At 0:09 and 0:12, the text "cambridge - conversion" is repeated.
Edited file is uploaded.
Emotions
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

InTheDesert wrote: June 12th, 2022, 6:21 am
mleigh wrote: June 11th, 2022, 4:06 pm Chapter 2 has one repeat. At 0:09 and 0:12, the text "cambridge - conversion" is repeated.
Edited file is uploaded.
Chapter 2 is PL OK as are chapters 4 and 5.

Chapter 6 just requires some deletion:

Please delete the text from about 16:46to 16:56. It reads "at the revocation of the edict (1685) the great temple at Charenton, the Huguenot Canterbury, here he proved himself Bossuet's worthy controversial rival"; it is repeated correctly starting around 16:56 as "at the revocation of the edict (1685) the great temple at Charenton was at once pulled down..." .

Thanks,

M
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

mleigh wrote: June 12th, 2022, 5:52 pm Chapter 6 just requires some deletion:

Please delete the text from about 16:46to 16:56. It reads "at the revocation of the edict (1685) the great temple at Charenton, the Huguenot Canterbury, here he proved himself Bossuet's worthy controversial rival"; it is repeated correctly starting around 16:56 as "at the revocation of the edict (1685) the great temple at Charenton was at once pulled down..." .

Thanks,

M
You got it! Spot check from 16:46.
Emotions
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

InTheDesert wrote: June 13th, 2022, 1:02 am
mleigh wrote: June 12th, 2022, 5:52 pm Chapter 6 just requires some deletion:

Thanks,

M
You got it! Spot check from 16:46.
Chapter 6 is PL OK.

Chapter 7 has just one small correction. At 10:44 I hear "his opponents and satirists were also his" should be "their opponents..."

M
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

mleigh wrote: June 13th, 2022, 3:56 pm Chapter 7 has just one small correction. At 10:44 I hear "his opponents and satirists were also his" should be "their opponents..."
Easy. Spot check at that timestamp.
Emotions
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

InTheDesert wrote: June 16th, 2022, 6:36 am
mleigh wrote: June 13th, 2022, 3:56 pm Chapter 7 has just one small correction. At 10:44 I hear "his opponents and satirists were also his" should be "their opponents..."
Easy. Spot check at that timestamp.
Chapter 7 is PL OK.

I regret to inform you that Chapter 8 is going to take a bit more work.

22:17 text is missing after "Duchesse de Broglie" (line 6, p 124 of book (153 of document)) - up to "The Earl of Hardwick" (end of line 16, p 127, of book (156 of document)).

Let me know if I am not clear enough.

Thanks,

M