~[solo]Celtic tales by Louey Chisholm-mtf

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Post Reply
IanGibblet
Posts: 22
Joined: March 31st, 2021, 1:18 pm

Post by IanGibblet » May 23rd, 2022, 3:15 pm

Celtic tales told to the children, by Louey Chisholm
In olden days, when many Kings reigned throughout the Green Island of Erin, none was greater than the great Concobar. So fair was his realm that poets sang its beauty, and such the wonder of his palace that the sweetest songs of Erin were of its loveliness. In a castle of this fair realm dwelt Felim, a warrior and harper dear unto the King. And it was told him that Concobar with his chief lords would visit the castle. (Summary by )
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/7488

Target completion date:

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:



BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Myths, Legends & Fairy Tales

Keywords that describe the book: mythology, Celtic

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Celtic tales told to the children. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Celtic tales told to the children, by Louey Chisholm. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Celtic tales told to the children, by Louey Chisholm. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Celtic tales told to the children, by Louey Chisholm."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: celtictales_##_chisholm_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. celtictales_01_chisholm_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: mightyfelix

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9806
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » May 23rd, 2022, 5:21 pm

This looks like a great choice for your first solo. I will MC for you.

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9806
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » May 23rd, 2022, 5:42 pm

Ok, your MW is set up, except for filling in the section titles. Normally, for a first-time soloist, I would fill in the first couple of titles for you. But I'm not really sure how you intend to split up the stories here. It looks like there are three stories in this collection, so I assume that you're splitting each one into smaller pieces. And you're welcome to do that in whatever way works best for you. :thumbs:

As a soloist, you are your own BC. This means that it's your responsibility to manage your MW, entering links and run times as you go and changing the status of sections as needed. This page will teach you how to do that as well as how to fill in section titles: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window It's pretty intuitive, I think. The only part people tend to struggle with is getting that first-time login done successfully. Let me know if you run into trouble.

IanGibblet
Posts: 22
Joined: March 31st, 2021, 1:18 pm

Post by IanGibblet » May 24th, 2022, 3:20 am

Thanks!
Yes, first solo but I've done a few contributions to other projects to get a feel for things.
This HTML description breaks the stories up with pictures and horizontal lines so I was going to use them as chapters.
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/7488/7488-h/7488-h.htm
I'm happy to divide up and fill in the MW

kristakz
Posts: 3269
Joined: January 4th, 2022, 9:25 pm
Location: Canada

Post by kristakz » May 29th, 2022, 2:00 pm

I'd love to DPL this for you.
Krista

Looking for readers:
Books: Life of Columbus Woman and Labour
Short Sci Fi: Dr. Hackensaw's Secrets
Dramatic Reading: The Prince and the Pauper

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9806
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » May 31st, 2022, 4:39 pm

IanGibblet wrote:
May 24th, 2022, 3:20 am
Thanks!
Yes, first solo but I've done a few contributions to other projects to get a feel for things.
This HTML description breaks the stories up with pictures and horizontal lines so I was going to use them as chapters.
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/7488/7488-h/7488-h.htm
I'm happy to divide up and fill in the MW
Ian, please let me know when you are finished filling in the MW. I've kept us here in the Launch Pad until that is done. Or, if you prefer to fill it in as you go, that is fine too. Not my personal preference, but if it works for you, no problem. I'd just like to know in that case, so I'm not waiting for no reason.

Also let me know if you are fine with kristakz as your DPL, and then I can add her in!

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9806
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » June 4th, 2022, 3:01 pm

I will go ahead and move this to Going Solo, so as to clean up the Launch Pad. Please post when you are ready to start.

IanGibblet
Posts: 22
Joined: March 31st, 2021, 1:18 pm

Post by IanGibblet » June 4th, 2022, 3:26 pm

Ok, I'll complete the MW. There were no obvious chapters in the book and since they are short stories I was contemplating just doing three files, one for each story.

If I split each story into 3 parts (and I'm just thinking aloud here )but I wondered if the listener would appreciate known which part of which story they were in?
Maybe in the into or in the description. Eg, "Part 2 of the third story"
Is there some precedent in librivox for for this?




mightyfelix wrote:
May 31st, 2022, 4:39 pm
IanGibblet wrote:
May 24th, 2022, 3:20 am
Thanks!
Yes, first solo but I've done a few contributions to other projects to get a feel for things.
This HTML description breaks the stories up with pictures and horizontal lines so I was going to use them as chapters.
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/7488/7488-h/7488-h.htm
I'm happy to divide up and fill in the MW
Ian, please let me know when you are finished filling in the MW. I've kept us here in the Launch Pad until that is done. Or, if you prefer to fill it in as you go, that is fine too. Not my personal preference, but if it works for you, no problem. I'd just like to know in that case, so I'm not waiting for no reason.

Also let me know if you are fine with kristakz as your DPL, and then I can add her in!

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9806
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » June 4th, 2022, 3:34 pm

IanGibblet wrote:
June 4th, 2022, 3:26 pm
Ok, I'll complete the MW. There were no obvious chapters in the book and since they are short stories I was contemplating just doing three files, one for each story.

If I split each story into 3 parts (and I'm just thinking aloud here )but I wondered if the listener would appreciate known which part of which story they were in?
Maybe in the into or in the description. Eg, "Part 2 of the third story"
Is there some precedent in librivox for for this?
Plenty of precedents, but no hard-and-fast rule. One section for each story will be fine, as long as you don't go over 72 minutes in any one section.

If you end up splitting the stories, I definitely think you should label in some way which is which. If it were me, I'd probably do something along the lines of:

The Star-Eyed Deirdre, part 1
The Star-Eyed Deirdre, part 2
The Star-Eyed Deirdre, part 3

Etc.

Post Reply