~[COMPLETE] On the Incarnation, by Athanasius of Alexandria - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

On the Incarnation, by Athanasius of Alexandria (c. 297 - 373), translated by Archibald Robertson (1853 - 1931)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/on-the-incarnation-by-athanasius-of-alexandria/
This treatise and that which in the editions of Athanasius immediately precedes it, the contra Gentes, were often counted as two parts of a single work. The two books belong to the earlier years of Athanasius: the Arian controversy which broke out about 319 (probably in his twenty-first or twenty-second year) has left no trace upon them.<br><br>

The <a href="https://librivox.org/contra-gentes-by-athanasius-of-alexandria/">Contra Gentes</a> leaves the reader face to face with this necessity of restoration by the Divine Word as the remedy for corrupt human nature. How this necessity is met in the Incarnation is shown in the pages which follow.<br><br>

He begins by a review of the doctrine of creation and of man's place therein. The abuse by man of his special privilege had resulted in its loss. By foregoing the Divine Life, man had entered upon a course of endless undoing, of progressive decay, from which none could rescue him but the original Bestower of his life. Then follows a description in glowing words of the Incarnation of the Divine Word and of its efficacy against the plague of corruption. With the Divine Life, men had also received, in the knowledge of God, the conscious reflex of the Divine Likeness, the faculty of reason in its highest exercise. This knowledge their moral fall dimmed and perverted. Heeding not even the means by which God sought to remind them of himself, they fell deeper and deeper into materialism and superstition. To restore the effaced Likeness the presence of the Original was requisite. Accordingly, condescending to man's sense-bound intelligence lest men should have been created in vain in the Image of God the Word took Flesh and became an object of Sense, that through the Seen he might reveal the Invisible. Having dwelt upon the meaning and purpose of the Incarnation, he proceeds to speak of the death and resurrection of the Incarnate Word. He, who alone could renew the handiwork and restore the likeness and give afresh the knowledge of God, must needs, in order to pay the debt which all had incurred, die in our stead, offering the sacrifice on behalf of all, so as to rise again, as our first-fruits, from the grave. After speaking of the especial fitness of the Cross, once the instrument of shame, now the trophy of victory, and after meet ing some difficulties connected with the manner of the Lord's Death, he passes to the Resurrection. He shows how Christ by his triumph over the grave changed the relative ascendency of Death and Life; and how the Resurrection with its momentous train of consequences, follows of necessity from the Incarnation of him in whom was Life. (Summary by Introduction)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/stathanasiusonth00athauoft/mode/1up

Target completion date: 2022-05-23

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of On the Incarnation. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "On the Incarnation, by Athanasius of Alexandria, translated by Archibald Robertson. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of On the Incarnation, by Athanasius of Alexandria, translated by Archibald Robertson. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of On the Incarnation, by Athanasius of Alexandria, translated by Archibald Robertson."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: incarnation_##_athanasius_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. incarnation_01_athanasius_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by InTheDesert on May 16th, 2022, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This is set up.

If you want, you can use just "athanasius" in the author part of the file name. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

TriciaG wrote: May 16th, 2022, 1:53 pm This is set up.

If you want, you can use just "athanasius" in the author part of the file name. :)
Thanlyou and changed.

Send me off to Solo!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moved!
EnzoC

Post by EnzoC »

Hey! I'd like to PL Section 1 and 2 if possible. I just got done PL'ing your other works as well InTheDesert! This should be a walk in the park since I barely find any issues with your recordings.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

EnzoC wrote: May 26th, 2022, 11:53 am Hey! I'd like to PL Section 1 and 2 if possible. I just got done PL'ing your other works as well InTheDesert! This should be a walk in the park since I barely find any issues with your recordings.
THat's great - yes please! If you could do section 3 as well, that would get this project finished...
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I tried to download section 3 to get started on it, but it isn't there.

Oh, wait - the link is nonstandard: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/incarnation_03_athanasius_128kb.mp3

OK, I got it. I suggest just changing the link in the MW for now until/unless there are any edits to make. They are easily standardized during cataloging.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Section 3: I did not follow along with the text.

6:16-ish: "was not Josiah of Amos, was not Isaiah of Amos" - is this correct - two "of Amos"?

14:40 - Repeat with correction: "certainly it had come to pass that a lame man also had walked..." repeated at 14:46 - "had it come to pass..."
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

TriciaG wrote: May 28th, 2022, 12:38 pm Section 3: I did not follow along with the text.

6:16-ish: "was not Josiah of Amos, was not Isaiah of Amos" - is this correct - two "of Amos"?

14:40 - Repeat with correction: "certainly it had come to pass that a lame man also had walked..." repeated at 14:46 - "had it come to pass..."
Fixed! Spot check at 14:40.

The two Amoses are surprising but twhat the text says.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Spot PL OK!
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

TriciaG wrote: May 29th, 2022, 10:34 amSpot PL OK!
Silly me, I didn't change the filename when I had the chance. Sorry for makeing more work for you later.
EnzoC

Post by EnzoC »

Section 1 is PL OK!

No mistakes were found.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

EnzoC wrote: May 31st, 2022, 10:53 pm Section 1 is PL OK!

No mistakes were found.
Marked, thankyou!
dronald

Post by dronald »

Section 2:

At 2:45 I hear "death" where the text should say "debt owing from all might be paid."

Besides that it's PL ok!
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

dronald wrote: June 1st, 2022, 12:38 pm Section 2:

At 2:45 I hear "death" where the text should say "debt owing from all might be paid."

Besides that it's PL ok!
Marked!