[COMPLETE] Some Chinese Ghosts by Lafcadio Hearn - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Some Chinese Ghosts, by Lafcadio Hearn (1850 - 1904)
Noted writer of Asian folklore Lafcadio Hearn brings us a volume of mysterious and magical folk stories from the country of China. (Summary by Ben Tucker)
This project is now complete. All recordings can be downloaded from the catalog page:
https://librivox.org/some-chinese-ghosts-by-lafcadio-hearn/

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/16261

Target completion date:

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Myths, Legends & Fairy Tales; Fantastic Fiction/Horror & Supernatural Fiction; Fantastic Fiction/Fantasy Fiction
Keywords that describe the book:
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Some Chinese Ghosts. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Some Chinese Ghosts, by Lafcadio Hearn. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Some Chinese Ghosts, by Lafcadio Hearn. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Some Chinese Ghosts, by Lafcadio Hearn."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: somechineseghosts_##_hearn_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. somechineseghosts_01_hearn_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Availle

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by flavo5000 on May 20th, 2022, 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Oh, I LOVE Lafcadio! And I've been ogling this project myself, so I'm glad somebody is picking it up!
I'll set this up for you.

Added a wee bit later:
Okay, we're good to go. Happy recording! :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Availle wrote: May 16th, 2022, 2:12 am Oh, I LOVE Lafcadio! And I've been ogling this project myself, so I'm glad somebody is picking it up!
I'll set this up for you.

Added a wee bit later:
Okay, we're good to go. Happy recording! :D
Groovy! I've got the MW filled out. Just need a DPL now. :)

As far as Lafcadio Hearn goes, I was a little surprised at how many of his folk story collections are still unrecorded actually. Besides this one, there's also A Japanese Miscellany, Romance of the Milky Way, Stray Leaves, Fantastics and Other Fancies and Karma and Other Stories and Essays. They're all pretty short collections too. If this one goes well, I may do another one later. Also apologies in advance if I butcher some of these pronunciations. :D
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Always good to have more Lafcadio in the catalog; I think we have most of his Japanese stories, which people are mostly interested in.

I could help you with Japanese pronunciation (which is almost the same as Latin/Spanish), but for Chinese, you're on your own, I'm afraid. You can try our pronunciation-help-thread of course, but if all else fails, "just say it with confidence". :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Availle wrote: May 16th, 2022, 5:09 am Always good to have more Lafcadio in the catalog; I think we have most of his Japanese stories, which people are mostly interested in.
A Japanese Miscellany and Romance in the Milky Way are I think both Japanese collections. Stray Leaves is a collection of Indian folklore which could be interesting. Fantastics and Other Fancies is a sort of hodge podge I think. Karma and Other Stories is also a mix of non-fiction essays with a handful of Japanese folk tales and a couple other things.
I could help you with Japanese pronunciation (which is almost the same as Latin/Spanish), but for Chinese, you're on your own, I'm afraid. You can try our pronunciation-help-thread of course, but if all else fails, "just say it with confidence". :D
Hopefully it won't be too bad. I've noticed Hearn tends to spell the Chinese words phonetically quite a bit that should help with pronouncing them. Plus I've been watching almost nothing but Chinese movies the last two weeks, so maybe something's been seeping in through osmosis. :D
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Well, good luck then, or as the Chinese would say zhù nǐ hǎo yùn :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Section 2 is also up as is section 9. I thought I'd go ahead and do the glossary. Seemed like it could be helpful in understanding the stories a little better.
spokenmartin

Post by spokenmartin »

HI, I can PL the first 2 sections, if you re still looking
Best
Martin
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

spokenmartin wrote: May 19th, 2022, 1:00 pm HI, I can PL the first 2 sections, if you re still looking
Best
Martin
Yes, thank you!
spokenmartin

Post by spokenmartin »

Hi
Preface PL_OK
The soul of the great bell I would say PL_OK
-- I hesitate only at 9;34 "blended", the first time I heard this word, I didn t understand it and went back to work out what it was. But this is just a minor issue, I would stay with PL_OK
Cheers
Martin
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

spokenmartin wrote: May 19th, 2022, 2:52 pm Hi
Preface PL_OK
-- I hesitate only at 9;34 "blended", the first time I heard this word, I didn t understand it and went back to work out what it was. But this is just a minor issue, I would stay with PL_OK
Cheers
Martin
Thank you! Any interest in PLing section 3 and 9?
spokenmartin

Post by spokenmartin »

flavo5000 wrote: May 19th, 2022, 2:54 pm
spokenmartin wrote: May 19th, 2022, 2:52 pm Hi
Preface PL_OK
Cheers
Martin
Thank you! Any interest in PLing section 3 and 9?
Yes, should be able to do those by Monday.
Martin