Dreams Collection #3 - Stories and Poems, by Various -jo

Short Poetry Collections, Short Story Collections, and our Weekly Poetry Project
msfry

Post by msfry » April 10th, 2022, 10:20 am

Dreams Collection #3, by Various
This is a collection of 20 stories and/or poems, contributed by Librivox volunteers, pertaining to dreams.
Claiming sections: There is no need to preclaim, as readers submit their own stories, but there is a limit of 3 entries per reader. Stories longer than an hour can be broken up into 2 or 3 files (Part 1=title1, Part 2=title2, etc.), each file counting as one entry. Please record and submit your story or poem with the requested information (see green text below).

Once your story is submitted, please be on the lookout for your Proof Listeners notes, which if changes are required must be attended to for your story to be included in the catalog.

Level of prooflistening: special, Michele Fry is the Dedicated Proof Listener (DPL) for this project, following along with the text and notating any "significant" discrepancies (standard, plus missing text, wrong words that change the meaning, etc). Please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. If this is your first LV recording, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Short Stories

Keywords that describe the book: please leave for BC to fill in later

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

INTRO to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.
then say:
  • "Story or Poem Title, (Part # if applicable) by Author, read/recorded for Dreams Collection 3 by (your name, location, web address, date, etc. if desired) This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org. You may instead use shortened disclaimer in Outro for a poem or for a story under 4 minutes in length."
    then say:
    "Title, Author, then read the story or poem"

OUTRO (end of recording)
  • End of Title (Part # if applicable), by Author, then for a poem or story under 4 minutes, add) This Librivox recording is in the public domain.
    There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates! Once you post to a project, you are automatically "subscribed". Easiest way to keep notified is to Bookmark entries and check Notifications in upper right corner, or set your preferences in the User Control Panel to receive emails.

AFTER recording
be sure to edit and proof listen your files for publication, before you submit for a final proofing.
Need noise-cleaning?
Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
128 kbps MP3
dreams3_title_authorslastname_readersinitials_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) (e.g. dreams3_italiandream_dickens_mtf_128kb.mp3)

Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
If the upload doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page

When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please copy it and paste in this thread (hit POST REPLY) along with the following information:
Link to uploaded file and File Length in mm:ss
Name of your story
Author (birth year - death year)
Translator if applicable (birth year - death year)
Source from which you read (e.g. Gutenberg etext url)

If it is your first submission, please state how you would like your name to appear in the catalog (username, real name, other).
[/list]

Any questions? Please post below.

The team:
BC: Michele Fry (msfry)
MC:
DPL: Michele Fry
Cover: Michele Fry

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » April 13th, 2022, 8:27 am

Michele, I've recorded one of my favourite poems for your collection ... Lewis Carroll's "... still she haunts me phantom-wise ..."

I hope it's not too short at less than a couple of minutes.
Peter
Last edited by Peter Why on April 15th, 2022, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger

msfry

Post by msfry » April 13th, 2022, 9:15 am

Peter Why wrote:
April 13th, 2022, 8:27 am
Michelle, I've recorded one of my favourite poems for your collection ... Lewis Carroll's "... still she haunts me phantom-wise ..."

I hope it's not too short at less than a couple of minutes.
Peter
Thanks, Peter. I'm just waiting around for an MW to pick up the project, then off we go.

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » April 14th, 2022, 3:03 pm

I've set this up for you, Michele.
Jo
My Librivox Solos
There are two ways to be fooled: One is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe what is true. - Soren Kierkegaard

msfry

Post by msfry » April 14th, 2022, 5:20 pm

Thanks, Jo. And to kick this project off, I get to submit the first offering:

An Italian Dream by Charles Dickens
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/650/650-h/650-h.htm#page277

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/dreams3_italiandream_dickens_mtf_128kb.mp3 23:57

Did he record his actual visit to Venice, or a dream about his visit to Venice, or a bit of both?

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » April 14th, 2022, 11:42 pm

And I'm second: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/dreamscollection3_aliceliddell_carroll_py_128kb.mp3

Length in mm:ss 1.25
Name of your poem: Alice Pleasance Liddell (from Through The Looking Glass)
Author (birth year - death year) Lewis Carroll 1832-1898

Source from which you read: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/12

In the text, the poem hasn't a name, but I've called it by Alice's name, as the first letters of each line spell her out.

Peter
Last edited by Peter Why on April 16th, 2022, 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

msfry

Post by msfry » April 15th, 2022, 7:07 am

Peter Why wrote:
April 14th, 2022, 11:42 pm
And I'm second: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/dreamscollection3_aliceliddell_carroll_py_128kb.mp3

Length in mm:ss 1.25
Name of your poem: Alice Pleasance Liddell (from Through The Looking Glass)
Author (birth year - death year) Lewis Carroll 1832-1898

Source from which you read: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/12)

In the text, the poem hasn't a name, but I've called it by Alice's name, as the first letters of each line spell her out.

Peter
I finally figured it out. The first capital letter of each line, in order, spells A L I C E P L E A S A N C E L I D D E L L
How did you figure that out?

PL OK, of course. But I am going to rename and reupload your file dreams3, rather then the original dreamscollection3 which the template generated, which I probably didn't change until after you had copied it down. You might want to change the filename on your computer as well, if you keep your files.

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » April 15th, 2022, 9:03 am

Don't reupload, Michele. I can fix the name either now or when the project is cataloged.
Jo
My Librivox Solos
There are two ways to be fooled: One is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe what is true. - Soren Kierkegaard

msfry

Post by msfry » April 15th, 2022, 9:08 am

knotyouraveragejo wrote:
April 15th, 2022, 9:03 am
Don't reupload, Michele. I can fix the name either now or when the project is cataloged.
Already done it. I keep copies of all my BC projects on my own hard drive (just in case IA loses something), so I have to make it right anyway.

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » April 15th, 2022, 10:08 am

Michele, I found out about the Alice acrostic from Martin Gardner's Annotated Alice.

Would you like me to PL your piece?

Peter

msfry

Post by msfry » April 15th, 2022, 10:16 am

Peter Why wrote:
April 15th, 2022, 10:08 am
Michele, I found out about the Alice acrostic from Martin Gardner's Annotated Alice.

Would you like me to PL your piece?

Peter
Aha, I love annotated classics. I have Huckleberry Finn, which reveals many behind the scenes factoids.
I would very much appreciate a PL. Thanks. Am working on a second entry now.

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » April 16th, 2022, 2:59 am

Michelle, I wasn't able to log in to the MW .. presumably it's locked to your login.

Your section was PL ok ... but I don't know whether you'd want to correct your pronunciation of "quay/s" to "key/s". I've given the locations below.

6.47 "spacious paved quay" line minus 4, para 7
7.56 "on wide quays" line 3, para 8
20.49 "past quays and terraces" line 3, para minus 4
22.47 "abreast the silent quays" line 4, para minus 3
23.00 "But close about the quays and churches" line 1, para minus 2

It sounds as if Mr Dickens had been indulging in Edgar Allan Poe on his journey, plus a liberal dose of laudanum!

Peter
Last edited by Peter Why on April 16th, 2022, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

msfry

Post by msfry » April 16th, 2022, 4:29 pm

Thank you so much, Peter. That was so sweet of you to find all those quays. They are all keys now. :D

I thought Dickens did a great job portraying a dream while actually describing Venice. I also dream in vivid detail which comes wave on wave and jumps all around just as he described. I see exquisitely gowned ladies descending a staircase, with thousands of pearls sewn on in swirls and patterns, on tucks and pleats of fabric, and if I could take a snapshot of that, I could be a famous dress designer! I wake up, it's gone immediately. He did a great job capturing that.

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » April 16th, 2022, 10:08 pm

Michele, all your corrections are PL ok.

For me, Dickens' dream seemed to have the taste of Lovecraft and of Coleridge's Kublai Khan ... hence the laudanum.

You know that you can train yourself to recall your dreams? It's to do with keeping a dream diary. Look up any book on lucid dreaming ... here are a couple of useful ones that I have: Dream Power by Ann Faraday, and Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming by Stephen LaBerge and Howard Rheingold.

I've been a bit lazy in my discipline of keeping my diaries, but the more fragments you note down, the better you develop your recall. Good luck with your new profession!

Peter

msfry

Post by msfry » April 17th, 2022, 8:10 am

I have a dream journal by my bed! Been there for years. It has a few dozen entries made at the moment of awakening. Alas, I can barely read my writing, the sketches are awful, and they don't seem nearly as interesting. The recurring dreams I remember, though. They are thoroughly weird! :twisted:

A chapter or short article on dream interpretation or dream recollection might be suitable for Dreams 3, if PD. HINT :D