COMPLETE Mr. World and Miss Church-Member by W. S. Harris - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Mr. World and Miss Church-Member: A Twentieth Century Allegory, by William Shuler Harris (1865 - 1956)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/mr-world-and-miss-church-member-by-ws-harris/
An allegory that describes the sad journey of Miss Church-Member who thinks she is traveling on a more convenient way to heaven, but she does not realize that she is traveling on the Broad Highway to destruction with her polite, yet, fiendish companion, Mr. World. (Summary by James En)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/mrworldmisschurc0000harr/mode/2up?view=theater

Target completion date: 2023-03-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Religious Fiction/Christian Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Preface and Introduction of Mr. World and Miss Church-Member: A Twentieth Century Allegory. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Mr. World and Miss Church-Member: A Twentieth Century Allegory, by William Shuler Harris. Preface."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Chapter # of Mr. World and Miss Church-Member by William Shuler Harris. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Chapter Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Mr. World and Miss Church-Member: A Twentieth Century Allegory, by William Shuler Harris."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: mrworldmisschurch_##_harris_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. mrworldmisschurch_01_harris_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: craigdav1

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

MW coming up.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Welcome first-time BC
This project is now set up in the database. Since this will be your first project as soloist/book coordinator (BC), you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the "Magic Window" in the top post. Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler.

First Time Logging in to the Workflow
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxWB83bbALTQYjlENGZ0SVJUWWs/edit

Instructions for BCs and DPLs
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ/edit

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/BC's:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

ID3 tags will be added during cataloging so you don't need to add them to your files.

If you have any questions, let me know. Sections can be added by you or deleted by me. I'll leave this thread here in the Launch Pad for a day or so before I move it to the Going Solo forum, to see if a DPL (Dedicated Proof Listener) volunteers. If you already have someone in mind as DPL just let me know.
I've added some information to the MW merely as a suggestion. Feel free to make changes but realize that long titles may get truncated. When you upload a section, it's your responsibility to add the link and duration (mm:ss) to the Magic Window. The link from the uploader goes in the "Listen URL" column, duration goes in the "notes" column. You also change the "status" to "Ready for PL". Be sure to post in the thread that a new section is ready for PL so your DPL knows there is something new.
Some of the contents of the MW will appear in the final project page that listeners see and it will be used to create the ID3 tags that appear on their mp3 player. Again, welcome to your first solo project.
DaveC
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

I couldn't see whether you are looking for a DPL, but if you are, I'm happy to do it.
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
St. Augustine (Vol.6 Psalms 126-150) 96% 2 left!
PL pls: DPL DPL 21 43 27-28
JamesN

Post by JamesN »

Yes, I do need a DPL. I was hoping you would see this, because I was going to PM you today and ask you if you would be the DPL for this project. Please be patient with me, since this is my first attempt at going solo, and I am trying to understand the process.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Now that the team is complete, it's off to the Going Solo forum.
JamesN

Post by JamesN »

Thank you, Dave C, for the MW and resources to help me out as a new BC.
JamesN

Post by JamesN »

Please let me know if the original title of each chapter is to long, so they are not truncated. Also, I wanted to see if I could add a word count in the notes. However, I noticed the wiki page on Word Count only addresses this for Project Gutenberg. Is there a way to do a word count for Archive.org? Lastly, if you see anything that needs to be corrected in the MW let me know. Thanks!

James
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

I would recommend titles no longer than two text lines in the MW. Truncation is more of an issue with older audio players that have small screens.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

JamesN wrote: April 2nd, 2022, 4:27 pm Please let me know if the original title of each chapter is to long, so they are not truncated. Also, I wanted to see if I could add a word count in the notes. However, I noticed the wiki page on Word Count only addresses this for Project Gutenberg. Is there a way to do a word count for Archive.org? Lastly, if you see anything that needs to be corrected in the MW let me know. Thanks!

James
Actually for a solo, you don't have to put in links to the text or word counts unless you want to. Usually they are there to make it easy for readers who want to jump quickly into a group project. So feel free to add them but only if it would be helpful to you. You are the BC in the sense that you need to update the MW with new sections yourself (instead of just dropped the link in the thread like a group project) ut you don't have to do all the things that a group project BC would.

For archive word counts, I have a little program that calculates words per page for a text and then I just multiple that by the number of pages in the chapter. It's approximate but it does the job.
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
JamesN

Post by JamesN »

Thanks for the info. I have a few more questions before I start recording. The name of the writer for the Introduction, as written in the text, is "Bishop Rudolph Dubs, D. D., LL. D", do I need to read the letters at the end of the writer's name? I think it would sound peculiar if I say "dee dee, el el, dee". Also, the author of the book writes at the beginning of each chapter a preview to the reader, in numerical list form, which informs the reader of the content of the chapter. In the following example, I think it would sound strange if I said "one..., two..., three..." after the title.

CHAPTER I.
The Meeting of Mr. World and Miss Church-
Member.
1. The dying of a century compared to the waning of
a day.
2. The allegory opens with a panoramic view of human life, as seen through the open door of the twentieth century, on the Broad Highway and King’s Highway. Blackana is introduced.
3. Mr. World meets Miss Church-Member at a place called Fellowship. From here she journeys with him on the Broad Highway where she witnesses several sad endings of human life.

Since I think this information is important to be read, do you have any suggestions on how to read this portion of the chapter, or do I just omit it? The numerical list does not really represent sections of the chapter.

Your input is greatly appreciated.
James
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

JamesN wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 4:53 am Thanks for the info. I have a few more questions before I start recording. The name of the writer for the Introduction, as written in the text, is "Bishop Rudolph Dubs, D. D., LL. D", do I need to read the letters at the end of the writer's name? I think it would sound peculiar if I say "dee dee, el el, dee". Also, the author of the book writes at the beginning of each chapter a preview to the reader, in numerical list form, which informs the reader of the content of the chapter. In the following example, I think it would sound strange if I said "one..., two..., three..." after the title.

CHAPTER I.
The Meeting of Mr. World and Miss Church-
Member.
1. The dying of a century compared to the waning of
a day.
2. The allegory opens with a panoramic view of human life, as seen through the open door of the twentieth century, on the Broad Highway and King’s Highway. Blackana is introduced.
3. Mr. World meets Miss Church-Member at a place called Fellowship. From here she journeys with him on the Broad Highway where she witnesses several sad endings of human life.

Since I think this information is important to be read, do you have any suggestions on how to read this portion of the chapter, or do I just omit it? The numerical list does not really represent sections of the chapter.

Your input is greatly appreciated.
James
You can always expand abbreviations. In this case you could say "Doctor of Divinity, Legum Doctor".

For section numbers, it's your choice whether to read them. I think a listener would appreciate you reading the 3 points without the "one, two, three" at the start.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

The main body of the text should be "read as written." Other material in the book is at the discretion of the reader. The preview points seem important but it's your decision (with or without enumerating them).
JamesN

Post by JamesN »

Thank you for your suggestions. I will take both of your suggestions: a) expand on the letters at the end of the name, and b) read the list without enumerating on each item.

James
JamesN

Post by JamesN »

0 Preface and Introduction are ready for PL.
Duration: 7:48.85
https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/mrworldmisschurch_00_harris_128kb.mp3

James