COMPLETE: Illustrations of Political Economy, Vol. 1 by Harriet Martineau -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW » March 22nd, 2022, 6:51 pm

Illustrations of Political Economy, Volume 1, by Harriet Martineau (1802 - 1876)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/illustrations-of-political-economy-vol1-by-harriet-martineau/

Hugely popular at their time of publication, Harriet Martineau’s Illustrations of Political Economy sought to turn the abstract principles of political economy into engaging, entertaining, and fundamentally humane works of social fiction. Through these dramatizations of dense economic theories, Martineau tried to educate and empower her readers, making even the most arcane concepts digestible and comprehendible to the widest possible audience (many of whom, such as women and the working class, were often excluded from engaging with these ideas via more conventional means). Each volume contains a different series of short, didactic novellas that "illustrate" a different set of economic principles, offering audiences tales that are equal parts riveting and edifying. Their publication caused a minor sensation in Victorian England.

This is the first of nine volumes and contains the following short novellas: Life in the Wilds (a tale about self-sufficiency, cooperation, and colonialism that dramatizes an attack against English settlers in South Africa), The Hill and the Valley (a story of industrial strife set in a Welsh iron works that touches on topics of industry, commerce, and Luddism), and Brooke and Brooke Farm (a tale about the enclosure of public land set in the English countryside). (Summary by ChuckW)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/illustrationsofp01mart/page/n5/mode/2up

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: General Fiction/Published 1800 -1900

Keywords that describe the book: political economy, colonialism, industry, capitalism, didactic fiction, social problem fiction, political fiction, economic theory, luddism

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of Illustrations of Political Economy, Volume 1. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Illustrations of Political Economy, Volume 1, by Harriet Martineau. Novella Title, Chapter Number."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Illustrations of Political Economy, Volume 1, by Harriet Martineau."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: illustrationspoliticaleconomyvol1_##_martineau_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. illustrationspoliticaleconomyvol1_01_martineau_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by ChuckW on July 3rd, 2022, 10:10 am, edited 17 times in total.
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: American Myths and Legends, Volume 1 (spooky folklore) | The Social War of 1900 (the worst play ever written?)

ChuckW

Post by ChuckW » March 22nd, 2022, 6:56 pm

This is one I've wanted to do for a long, long time, partially because of my personal attachment to the author. I took a class on Harriet Martineau and the 19th-century social problem novel back in college that had a pretty substantial impact on my life... and getting at least a couple of volumes of Martineau's magnum opus into the Librivox catalogue seems like a fitting way to pay tribute to that time.

Some folks might recall that I tried to get other folks to coordinate this one about a year ago. I didn't have enough time or bandwidth to tackle this project at the time, so I'm happy to finally take the reigns on this project myself now that I can give it the attention it deserves. I'll launch Volume 2 after we're finished with this one... unless someone wants to do it for me? :lol:
PROJECTS
Help Needed: American Myths and Legends, Volume 1 (spooky folklore) | The Social War of 1900 (the worst play ever written?)

ChuckW

Post by ChuckW » March 23rd, 2022, 8:10 am

FYI: I edited the summary.
PROJECTS

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » March 24th, 2022, 10:55 am

Hi Chuck. I can MC this for you. MW will be along shortly...
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Hypotheses usually spring up like mushrooms in every dark corner of science. You get a score of them to explain the slightest obscurity. - C. Nordmann

ChuckW

Post by ChuckW » March 24th, 2022, 10:57 am

knotyouraveragejo wrote:
March 24th, 2022, 10:55 am
Hi Chuck. I can MC this for you. MW will be along shortly...
Thanks! I've got everything ready for the MW (including links to each chapters) and have already recorded part of the preface. :clap:
PROJECTS

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » March 24th, 2022, 10:59 am

Great!
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Hypotheses usually spring up like mushrooms in every dark corner of science. You get a score of them to explain the slightest obscurity. - C. Nordmann

ChuckW

Post by ChuckW » March 24th, 2022, 12:13 pm

Aaaaaand we're ready for volunteers.
PROJECTS

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » March 24th, 2022, 1:55 pm

Are you planning to DPL? If not, we will hang out here for a day or two and see if someone volunteers. :)
Jo
My Librivox Solos

ChuckW

Post by ChuckW » March 24th, 2022, 2:10 pm

knotyouraveragejo wrote:
March 24th, 2022, 1:55 pm
Are you planning to DPL? If not, we will hang out here for a day or two and see if someone volunteers. :)
I don’t mind being the DPL, but will also entertain any offers, if anybody else wants to take over.
PROJECTS

ChuckW

Post by ChuckW » March 25th, 2022, 1:51 pm

Alright, I've uploaded the first two sections... and I'll look for a PL for those in the appropriate place. For now, I'll hold off on recording anything else myself until I find someone who can listen to my sections on a regular basis.
PROJECTS

czandra

Post by czandra » March 25th, 2022, 2:34 pm

I'll PL your sections, Chuck. And record some.

Czandra

czandra

Post by czandra » March 25th, 2022, 3:13 pm

Okay, so there are lots of small bits and pieces, especially plural and singular exchanges. I don't know how precise you want to be, but I have not included most of those notes, and a few others that depart very slightly from the text. Even so, I have made 20 notes! I think you might catch some of these yourself with a close rereading once the recording is done. Please let me know if you would like me to post the notes I made on the preface.

Czandra

ChuckW

Post by ChuckW » March 25th, 2022, 3:41 pm

czandra wrote:
March 25th, 2022, 2:34 pm
I'll PL your sections, Chuck. And record some.

Czandra
Woohoo to both! Thank you
PROJECTS

ChuckW

Post by ChuckW » March 25th, 2022, 3:42 pm

czandra wrote:
March 25th, 2022, 3:13 pm
Okay, so there are lots of small bits and pieces, especially plural and singular exchanges. I don't know how precise you want to be, but I have not included most of those notes, and a few others that depart very slightly from the text. Even so, I have made 20 notes! I think you might catch some of these yourself with a close rereading once the recording is done. Please let me know if you would like me to post the notes I made on the preface.

Czandra

Oh, geez. Let me make sure I submitted the correct file before you go any further. That seems like a lot.

Generally, I don’t require word perfect lessons, but I’m happy to take whatever notes you have and decide if I want to make the correction. Thanks again!
PROJECTS

ChuckW

Post by ChuckW » March 25th, 2022, 4:35 pm

czandra wrote:
March 25th, 2022, 3:13 pm

Czandra
Okay, I'm back... and doing a word perfect PL of the first five minutes, I found a bunch of little negligible errors. Some I probably wouldn't bother changing or identifying (like pluralizing "riots" instead of "riot") and others I would fix (like saying "all the votes" instead of "all the whole votes"). In general, I think we generally aim for 98% accuracy with Librivox and mostly try to identify and amend things that alter the meaning of a sentence/story or are just flat-out egregious (or... you know... dumb stuff like repeated words). Some stuff (like replacing article and stuff like that) get ignored. Sorry about the confusion.
PROJECTS