COMPLETE A Romance of the Moors by Mona Caird-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Scarbo
Posts: 1519
Joined: April 27th, 2020, 5:03 pm

Post by Scarbo » February 13th, 2022, 6:30 pm

A Romance of the Moors, by Mona Caird (1854 - 1932)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/a-romance-of-the-moors-by-mona-caird/
Dick Coverdale is secretly betrothed to his neighbor, the beautiful Bessie Saunders. When a visitor to the area named Margaret Ellwood appears on the scene, however, Dick starts to regret his decision to marry Bessie.

After Dick confides his troubles to Margaret, she attempts to guide him down the right path. But Margaret herself is unsure of how to advise him. On the one hand, she knows that it would be unfair to Bessie if Dick were to marry her despite not loving her. On the other hand, Margaret fears that if Dick breaks things off with Bessie, the latter’s heartbreak could last a lifetime.

Events come to a head when Dick’s busybody aunts set out to manufacture a scandal involving the young betrothed couple. What will be the right paths for Dick, Bessie, and Margaret? (Summary by Scarbo)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/aromancemoors00cairgoog/page/n6/mode/2up?view=theater

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Special: I will be following along in the text to check for word changes that affect the meaning.
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:



BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Chapter # of A Romance of the Moors. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "A Romance of the Moors, by Mona Caird. Chapter Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of A Romance of the Moors, by Mona Caird."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: romance_##_caird_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. romance_01_caird_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
Image
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: maryannspiegel

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by Scarbo on April 25th, 2022, 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scarbo
Posts: 1519
Joined: April 27th, 2020, 5:03 pm

Post by Scarbo » February 13th, 2022, 6:33 pm

I would like to also be the DPL for this project.

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 17906
Joined: February 23rd, 2009, 4:37 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » February 13th, 2022, 7:56 pm

I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.

MaryAnn

Scarbo
Posts: 1519
Joined: April 27th, 2020, 5:03 pm

Post by Scarbo » February 14th, 2022, 3:31 am

Thank you!

MaggieC
Posts: 10
Joined: February 18th, 2022, 10:06 am

Post by MaggieC » February 25th, 2022, 3:54 pm

Hi there,

Is it too early to claim sections for this title? If not, I would love Chapter 1!

Thanks,
Maggie

Scarbo
Posts: 1519
Joined: April 27th, 2020, 5:03 pm

Post by Scarbo » February 25th, 2022, 5:11 pm

MaggieC wrote:
February 25th, 2022, 3:54 pm
Hi there,

Is it too early to claim sections for this title? If not, I would love Chapter 1!

Thanks,
Maggie
It's not at all too early! :) Thank you for claiming! Chapter 1 is all yours.

MaggieC
Posts: 10
Joined: February 18th, 2022, 10:06 am

Post by MaggieC » February 25th, 2022, 5:33 pm

Scarbo wrote:
February 25th, 2022, 5:11 pm
MaggieC wrote:
February 25th, 2022, 3:54 pm
Hi there,

Is it too early to claim sections for this title? If not, I would love Chapter 1!

Thanks,
Maggie
It's not at all too early! :) Thank you for claiming! Chapter 1 is all yours.
Thank you!!

MaggieC
Posts: 10
Joined: February 18th, 2022, 10:06 am

Post by MaggieC » March 1st, 2022, 12:53 pm


Scarbo
Posts: 1519
Joined: April 27th, 2020, 5:03 pm

Post by Scarbo » March 1st, 2022, 6:59 pm

MaggieC wrote:
March 1st, 2022, 12:53 pm
Here is Ch 1. Time is 27.04

Maggie

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/romance_01_caird_128kb.mp3
Thank you for chapter 1! It sounds great. I have some notes about word changes, but please don't be discouraged - this is a long chapter, so it's not as much as it looks like! :)

- At 1:20, "or his mother's unmistakable Scottish intonation," I hear "or his mother's unmistakable Scottish annotation" (p. 6)
- At 3:54, "when her mother was alive," I hear "with her mother was alive" (p. 9)
- At 12:23, "to Nancy's lengthy and unclassic countenance," I hear "to Nancy's length and unclassic countenance" (p. 18)
- At 17:30, "Dick sat at his aunt's tea-table," you say "Dick sat at his uncle's tea-table" (p. 24)
- At 17:58, "at the public-house in Winterbridge," you say "at the public-house in Whitebridge" (p. 24)
- At 20:03, "it sank to its place," you say "and sank to its place" (p. 26)
- At 22:25, "slipped her rival into his pocket," you say "slipped her revival into his pocket" (p. 29)
- At 23:44, "and the blue sky shining through," you say "and the blue sky shining through her" (p. 30)
- At 26:42, "The clock of the grey tower," you say "The color of the grey tower" (p. 33)

MaggieC
Posts: 10
Joined: February 18th, 2022, 10:06 am

Post by MaggieC » March 3rd, 2022, 7:39 am

Scarbo wrote:
March 1st, 2022, 6:59 pm
MaggieC wrote:
March 1st, 2022, 12:53 pm
Here is Ch 1. Time is 27.04

Maggie

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/romance_01_caird_128kb.mp3
Thank you for chapter 1! It sounds great. I have some notes about word changes, but please don't be discouraged - this is a long chapter, so it's not as much as it looks like! :)

- At 1:20, "or his mother's unmistakable Scottish intonation," I hear "or his mother's unmistakable Scottish annotation" (p. 6)
- At 3:54, "when her mother was alive," I hear "with her mother was alive" (p. 9)
- At 12:23, "to Nancy's lengthy and unclassic countenance," I hear "to Nancy's length and unclassic countenance" (p. 18)
- At 17:30, "Dick sat at his aunt's tea-table," you say "Dick sat at his uncle's tea-table" (p. 24)
- At 17:58, "at the public-house in Winterbridge," you say "at the public-house in Whitebridge" (p. 24)
- At 20:03, "it sank to its place," you say "and sank to its place" (p. 26)
- At 22:25, "slipped her rival into his pocket," you say "slipped her revival into his pocket" (p. 29)
- At 23:44, "and the blue sky shining through," you say "and the blue sky shining through her" (p. 30)
- At 26:42, "The clock of the grey tower," you say "The color of the grey tower" (p. 33)
Thank you so much! So, once I fix these I just re upload and post the file again in this thread I'm assuming?

Maggie

Scarbo
Posts: 1519
Joined: April 27th, 2020, 5:03 pm

Post by Scarbo » March 3rd, 2022, 4:27 pm

MaggieC wrote:
March 3rd, 2022, 7:39 am
Thank you so much! So, once I fix these I just re upload and post the file again in this thread I'm assuming?

Maggie
That's right!

sreyeslueptow
Posts: 5
Joined: February 27th, 2022, 4:25 pm

Post by sreyeslueptow » March 6th, 2022, 5:07 pm

I would love to read chapter 5!

Scarbo
Posts: 1519
Joined: April 27th, 2020, 5:03 pm

Post by Scarbo » March 6th, 2022, 6:10 pm

sreyeslueptow wrote:
March 6th, 2022, 5:07 pm
I would love to read chapter 5!
Hello, and welcome to LV! :) I've signed you up for chapter 5, but I wanted to make a few suggestions before you start recording:

I'd strongly recommend completing a 1-minute test first. It's not an audition, it's just a way to make sure that your technical settings are correct with your recording software and to check for sound problems.

Chapter 5 is pretty long and will probably run at around 40 minutes. It's a lot to take on for a first-time reader, so I'd recommend claiming a shorter section of a project, maybe a poem or a chapter of around 1,500 words or fewer, and recording it first so that you have a chance to get the hang of the recording and editing process with something not quite so long. You'll have two months to submit chapter 5 of this project, though, so that should give you enough time for both! And some new readers do dive right in with a long chapter, so it's up to you.

Could you let me know what name you'd like to be listed under in the catalog?

Free free to ask if you have questions about anything, and thank you for claiming! :)

LuckyNumber3
Posts: 12
Joined: February 9th, 2022, 2:12 pm

Post by LuckyNumber3 » March 8th, 2022, 9:34 am

May I read chapter 3 please?

Jana

Scarbo
Posts: 1519
Joined: April 27th, 2020, 5:03 pm

Post by Scarbo » March 8th, 2022, 6:44 pm

LuckyNumber3 wrote:
March 8th, 2022, 9:34 am
May I read chapter 3 please?

Jana
Sure thing! Thank you for claiming!

Post Reply