[COMPLETE]: The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare, by G.K. Chesterton-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare, by G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-man-who-was-thursday-version-3-by-g-k-chesterton/
This is undoubtedly the best of Chesterton's novels, a thriller which follows Gabriel Syme as he tries to find a way to bring the Supreme Anarchist Council to justice. (Summary by Mozartjr)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1695
LINK TO COLOR CODED SCRIPTS: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WNrITG0BhGrOpGB2VlLZPRnqc8XyQE2CUxxv2Sv88Pk/edit?usp=sharing

PLEASE NOTE: Only minor roles can double-cast with another minor roles. Those with major roles may not double-cast. Those with minor roles may, but they are not allowed to claim a major role, only another minor role. Major vs. Minor roles are specified in the MW.
Casting is gendered as specified in the MW.

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

MC: MightyFelix
BC: Mozartjr
Narrator: LCaulkins
DPL (parts and final files): MrsHand
Editors: Mozartjr and LCaulkins

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Action & Adventure Fiction; Humorous Fiction; Suspense, Espionage, Political & Thrillers

Keywords that describe the book: suspense, Chesterton, police, anarchist

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per act. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character, read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Act # of The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare, by G. K. Chesterton. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
At the end of each file say:
"End of Act #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare, by G. K. Chesterton."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: manwhowasthursday_role_#.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. manwhowasthursday_romeo_1.mp3)
For final files: manwhowasthursday_#_chesterton_128kb.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. manwhowasthursday_1_chesterton_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: mightyfelix

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by Mozartjr on July 24th, 2022, 3:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

Mightyfelix has agreed to be our MC.
The following roles are already claimed:
Narrator (LCaulkins)
Gabriel Syme (RVPMatt123)
The Marquis or Ratcliffe (Kalamareader)
Dr. Bull (Mozartjr)

LCaulkins has also agreed to assist me with the editing.
RVPMatt123

Post by RVPMatt123 »

Looking forward to this very much!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I can get this set up for you, but please verify one thing before I do.

I see that you've listed the number of MW sections as 16. I understand that this will be the final number of sections in the catalogue, after all chapters are assembled and PLed. But how many sections do you need for the MW during the working stages? That's the number you should have filled in there.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Oh! Cool! That was quick. :) yes, I can help with editing
~Lynette * -
Need help with bit parts in Ivanhoe (DR) (no doubling of roles) | Roles open in Unnatural Death, by Dorothy L. Sayers
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Without a doubt, one of Chesterton's masterpieces!
So many recordings of this, and LV has a solo, but great choice for a DR.
Could I throw my hat in the ring for Lucian Gregory?

~ Larry
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

silverquill wrote: February 5th, 2022, 9:52 pm Without a doubt, one of Chesterton's masterpieces!
So many recordings of this, and LV has a solo, but great choice for a DR.
Could I throw my hat in the ring for Lucian Gregory?
Sure thing!
Mozartjr
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

mightyfelix wrote: February 5th, 2022, 3:53 pm I can get this set up for you, but please verify one thing before I do.

I see that you've listed the number of MW sections as 16. I understand that this will be the final number of sections in the catalogue, after all chapters are assembled and PLed. But how many sections do you need for the MW during the working stages? That's the number you should have filled in there.
Oh Ok, I thought that meant the number of chapters :P
If I counted correctly, all together with the final chapters included, I would need 120 sections.
Thanks,
Mozartjr
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

May I DPL? I can handle parts and final chapters.
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

MrsHand wrote: February 7th, 2022, 9:52 am May I DPL? I can handle parts and final chapters.
That would be wonderful, thank you Kristen!
Mozartjr
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Alright, MW is all set. Let me know if anything looks off.

If you end up needing more sections in the MW after all, you can add them yourself one at a time. But if it turns out that 120 is too many, I'll delete the extras for you, as you don't have the ability to do that. Let me know when you're set!
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

Ok, MW finished. Everyone is entered that has claimed roles. I'm trying to manage this project better than I've managed my other DRs :)
Mozartjr
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Lovely! I'll play Rosamund, please. I might later pick up some other small roles if you still need more.
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

May I take the role of the Professor?

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Mozartjr »

mightyfelix wrote: February 8th, 2022, 11:40 am Lovely! I'll play Rosamund, please. I might later pick up some other small roles if you still need more.
Rosamund is yours! Thanks Devorah!
Mozartjr

I have a feeling this project is going to go pretty fast :D
Last edited by Mozartjr on February 8th, 2022, 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.