COMPLETED, Weird Tales, vol. 2, by E.T.A. Hoffmann - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Weird Tales, Vol. 2, by E. T. A. Hoffmann (1776 - 1822), translated by John Thomas Bealby (1858 - 1944)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/weird-tales-volume-2-by-e-t-a-hoffmann/
To be completed later. (Summary by Thomas Copeland)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/31439

Target completion date: 2022-04-30

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Weird Tales, Vol. 2. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Weird Tales, Vol. 2, by E. T. A. Hoffmann, translated by John Thomas Bealby. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Weird Tales, Vol. 2, by E. T. A. Hoffmann, translated by John Thomas Bealby. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Weird Tales, Vol. 2, by E. T. A. Hoffmann, translated by John Thomas Bealby."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: weirdtales2_##_hoffmann_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. weirdtales2_01_hoffmann_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This is set up.

I've changed the text link to the main description page, so that your DPL isn't forced into the web format. :)

Speaking of DPL, you might want to consider changing it to Special PL rather than Word Perfect. Usually I do that, and define "Special" as "Standard, plus noting any deviations from the text that make the listener go 'huh?' :lol: The listener doesn't need to follow along with the text while listening" Word-perfect seems a bit more strict than you probably really want.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Oh! I'd be happy to DPL for you - let me know what level of strictness you're looking for, and I'll follow that.

(like Tricia mentioned - anything that makes the listener think, "What?"; or - watch the text, and let you know of any word slips that change the meaning; or - watch the text, and let you know of any word that is different at all)
~Lynette * - family visiting, very slow response and PL work until the 22nd.
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've added you in, Lynette. :)

Moving this to Going Solo...
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Hi again, Lynette and Tricia. I'll get to work on this just as soon as I can get my darned mike to work again.

Tom
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

That sounds frustrating! I'll be here when you're ready
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

The first section is done: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/weirdtales2_01_hoffmann_128kb.mp3

I notice that the text is not well punctuated; periods, for instance, are not always provided, and statements sometimes end with question marks. I have tried to read even the oddest passages with obedience to punctuation, but this isn't always possible. Perhaps we must downgrade the level of accuracy from "word-perfect" to "standard."

Tom
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, sounds like a plan. :)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

chymocles wrote: January 24th, 2022, 3:46 pm The first section is done: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/weirdtales2_01_hoffmann_128kb.mp3

I notice that the text is not well punctuated; periods, for instance, are not always provided, and statements sometimes end with question marks. I have tried to read even the oddest passages with obedience to punctuation, but this isn't always possible. Perhaps we must downgrade the level of accuracy from "word-perfect" to "standard."

Tom
Hi, Tom - such a pleasure listening to your reading of this story. I also love the way you handle the footnotes and return to the text.

I've marked Secion1 PL OK :thumbs:

I did want to mention, though, that it would be nice as the listener to know up front that this section is not the whole story. It would be good to have a cue in the section introduction, something like "The Doge and the Dogess, part 1" . . . And then the next one would announce "The Doge and the Dogess, part 2"

(And having those titles added to the title box for each section would be helpful, also.)

If you decide to add to the introduction, just mark Section 1"Ready for Spot PL" when you re-upload, and I'll double check it. :)

And now, I will wait patiently for the continuation of this story. :l
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

I've fixed part 1. You can spot PL at 0:24 and 44:40

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/weirdtales2_01_hoffmann_128kb.mp3
Part 2 is complete:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/weirdtales2_02_hoffmann_128kb.mp3

And thanks for the encouragement.

Tom
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Nice, smooth edits on Section 1 :)

I've got 2 pulled and queued
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Didn't want to wait until tomorrow for more of the story, and I finished today's quilting work, so I had time to come back and listen this evening. :lol: Section 2 is PL OK :thumbs:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Ah - you hadn't marked the sections as Ready for PL, so your DPL may not have noticed. :) I've marked the sections for you.