[COMPLETE] Small Souls by Louis Couperus -ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears » January 2nd, 2022, 8:17 pm

Small Souls, by Louis Couperus (1863 - 1923), translated by Alexander Teixeira de Mattos (1865 - 1921)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalogue page https://librivox.org/small-souls-by-louis-couperus/
Constance van der Welcke returns to the Hague and the bosom of her family after a twenty year exile caused by a marital indiscretion and divorce from the Dutch ambassador to Rome. Wanting only to be accepted into the family circle again, Constance and her husband Henri find they are the target of gossip that pulls the family apart. As the facade of the family circle begins to crack, the psychological foibles of the brothers and sisters begin to reveal themselves. Small Souls is the first of four novels that make up the quartet known as 'The Books of the Small Souls', the masterwork of the foremost author of modern Dutch literature, Louis Couperus. Although 'The Books of the Small Souls' remain popular in the Netherlands, Alexander Teixeira de Mattos' excellent English translation has long been out of print. (Summary by Philip Benson)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/cu31924026278378/page/n6/mode/2up

Target completion date: 2022-03-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: sYb3MFH7
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Couperus (Louis Couperus)
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 40
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: Yes
  • Original publication date (if known): 1901
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

Genres for the project: Literary Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: psychology, Netherlands, Holland, Indonesia

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Small Souls. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Small Souls, by Louis Couperus, translated by Alexander Teixeira de Mattos. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Small Souls, by Louis Couperus, translated by Alexander Teixeira de Mattos. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Small Souls, by Louis Couperus, translated by Alexander Teixeira de Mattos."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: smallsouls_##_couperus_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. smallsouls_01_couperus_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: xxxx

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by eggs4ears on April 3rd, 2022, 5:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears » January 2nd, 2022, 8:20 pm

Annise and Newgatenovelist have kindly offered to MC/DPL

Just a note that we have the original Dutch in the catalogue; De Kleine Zielen - https://librivox.org/de-kleine-zielen-van-louis-couperus/

eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears » January 5th, 2022, 12:14 am

Hi Erin,

I have uploaded a file for the first part of Chapter 2 - this is just to check pronunciations and I will rerecord the whole chapter later. I've also just seen you email, so this file was recorded before I listened. I will listen and it will work better that way as I will be able to compare yours with mine.

Phil

Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist » January 5th, 2022, 2:22 pm

Checking in.

eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears » January 6th, 2022, 1:31 am

Hi Erin,

Here are a few comments based on the recordings you sent. I'd still appreciate your comments on my 'draft' if you have time, but I'll probably start recording properly thsi weekend.

van Lowe - I am pronouncing the 'w' as 'v', but it should be more like 'w'?

Dorine, Christine, etc. - Anna seems to pronounce the 'e' at the end only when the name is emphasised. I think I can just pronounce these as I would in English

Constance, Paul... I have pronounced these as they are in English but to be consistent with other names I should pronounce them as Dutch

Marietje - my question was actually about the 'e' before 'tje'. But it seems clear from Anna's recording that it is not pronounced - so three syllables 'Ma-rie-tje'

Gerrit - I think I will do better to just try to hint at the 'g' sound. I can't do it comfortably when in full flow and I'm not sure that it sounds natural in an English context.

Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist » January 6th, 2022, 2:39 pm

Hi Phil,

I won't be able to PL the draft chapter before you start recording, but I think you can do it!

van Lowe: probably say the W in Lowe a bit more as a W, yes. Sort of low-uh.

Dorine, Christine: there were various inconsistencies (speaking purely from the point of view of getting single, consistent sound samples). Of course that's how native speakers usually talk and it's only when you're trying to replicate that as a non-native speaker that it's tricky! I think you will be fine if you pronounce them as you would in English, which will at least mean you can 'relax' a bit around those names and not second guess yourself when you're recording (if you're like me, that is...).

Constance, Paul, Gerrit: as above, just go with whatever you think will work best for you over the course of the book. If you need to do a softer G for Gerrit, or use the English Constance or Paul, then do it. It'll be a more enjoyable experience for you as a reader and for whoever listens as well if you're not wrestling with it too much.

Marietje: ah, sorry about that confusion over the E, I thought you meant the E in the diminutive. Yes, go with Ma-rie-tje as you said.

I should say, even though it probably doesn't really need repeating, that these were intended as guides (especially as they're from a single speaker, not taken from across Belgium and the Netherlands), not as a way to psych you out right before you launched. If you decide, as in the case of the Dutch G or SCH, for example, that you're aware of the differences between Dutch and English but decide to go with the English, that's fine. Make an informed decision and go with it - in plenty of cases, that might mean knowing that the Dutch would be something slightly different, but not different enough to make a big deal out of it.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » January 6th, 2022, 2:52 pm

Just my cents worth - not a decision from on high.
The book is being read for English listeners , not Dutch ones so it is better that they are able to understand the names and places and as Erin says , that the text flows.

Anne

eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears » January 7th, 2022, 3:39 am

annise wrote:
January 6th, 2022, 2:52 pm
The book is being read for English listeners , not Dutch ones so it is better that they are able to understand the names and places and as Erin says , that the text flows.
Anne
Thanks, Erin and Anne. I'm good with these suggestions and I'm leaning more towards English pronunciations anyway. So that means all christian names will be pronounced in English, excepting Gerrit and Adriaan - Adriaan because of the spelling and also because he is a major character - he's a child in the first book, but the 'Dr. Adriaan' in the title of the fourth.

Actually, the biggest challenge is going to be coming up with voices for around 20 female characters!

Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist » January 12th, 2022, 3:42 pm

When I try to download the first two sections I'm getting them as 'html document' when it ought to be an mp3. The same thing is happening for both files. I'm sorry to ask, but could you upload them again?

eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears » January 12th, 2022, 5:13 pm

That's very strange. Try these links (or in the MW). They seem to work.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/smallsouls_00_couperus_128kpbs.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/smallsouls_01_couperus_128kpbs.mp3

But as far as I can see, they are identical to the links in the quote (which are still returning 'file not found')

Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist » January 13th, 2022, 12:16 pm

00 and 01 are PL OK. I don't know what happened, but it seems to have resolved itself, which is exactly the kind of solution I like!

The links you posted in the thread looked the same as the ones in the MW to me, too. I couldn't figure out if my eyes were just tired or what. I've taken the links from the MW because those are the ones that will be used to create the final audiobook, and they worked, so everything is fine.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » January 13th, 2022, 2:09 pm

By the time I looked you had replaced them and they worked . I am reasonably confident that when you copied and pasted something was added/subtracted and it is often quite difficult to see for us mere humans. Computers are fairly stupid they only do exactly what we tell them.

Anne

eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears » January 17th, 2022, 2:42 am

Hi Erin, In case you don't get a notification, I've just uploaded a long lost Gaskell piece. This is a kind of replacement product, as Chapter 3 of SS is stuck in transit :)

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=84098&p=1997213#p1997213

eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears » January 17th, 2022, 2:47 am

The odd thing is that one set works and the other doesn't. In my post from Jan 13th, if you click on the new links I posted. they work. If you click on the old links in the quoted message, they still don't work, even though they seem to be exactly the same. The Internet works in strange and mysterious ways.
annise wrote:
January 13th, 2022, 2:09 pm
By the time I looked you had replaced them and they worked . I am reasonably confident that when you copied and pasted something was added/subtracted and it is often quite difficult to see for us mere humans. Computers are fairly stupid they only do exactly what we tell them.

Anne