Complete (SOLO, RUSSIAN) Песнь о Гайавате (The Song of Hiawatha)-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Песнь о Гайавате, The Song of Hiawatha by Henry Longfellow (1808 - 1882), translated by Иван Бунин (1870 - 1953)

Volunteers outside the USA: Иван Бунин died in 1953. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
A Russian translation of The Song of Hiawatha by Henry Longfellow.
Иван Бунин опубликовал перевод «Песни о Гайавате» в 1896 г. Его перевод до сих пор считается непревзойдённым. (Summary by Mark Chulsky)
• This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/song-of-hiawatha-pesnogajavate-by-henry-wadsworth-longfellow/

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/bunin_pss_tom6_1915

Target completion date: 2022-03-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Poetry/Single author

Keywords that describe the book: american indians

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Секция 1 Песни о Гайавате Генри Лонгфелло, в переводе Ивана Бунина. Эта запись сделана для проекта ЛибриВокс. Все записи ЛибриВокс находятся в общественном достоянии. Для справок и помощи проекту пожалуйста посетите сетевую страницу librivox DOT org. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Секция # Песни о Гайавате Генри Лонгфелло, в переводе Ивана Бунина. Эта запись проекта ЛибриВокс находится в общественном достоянии. ." "Название главы."
End of recording:
Say:
"Конец секции #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"Конец Песни о Гайавате Генри Лонгфелло в переводе Ивана Бунина. Читал your name, city, date"
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: pesnogajavate_##_longfellow_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. pesnogajavate_01_longfellow_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: alg1001

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by chulsky on June 21st, 2022, 5:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Mark,
I'll MC this for you. I've been watching a lot of Russian TV and movies lately so I wish I could understand Russian. I look forward to hearing a Russian version of Hiawatha.
I'll keep you on the launchpad for a few days to see if a proof listener comes around. If not you may have to advertise for one in the Listeners forum.
Thanks!
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Thank you, Amy!
I am definitely going to actively look for a DPL!
I am not sure this is a good project for learning Russian, there would be a lot of words that won't be helpful :-)
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

May I ask you for a favor, Amy?
There are a Foreword and an Introduction to the poem, followed by 22 numbered chapters. I'd like to have two separate sections for the Foreword and Introduction, and then 22 chapters as sections 1-22, so their numbers match?
If it is not possible, I could cram the Foreword and Introduction in one section, but I'd rather not, because the the Foreword is written by the translator, and the Introduction by the author.
Thank you!
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Mark,
I added another section. The Introduction would be in Section 1. The section numbers and chapter numbers won't be the same, but that isn't unusual.
I can delete it if you don't want to do it that way.
Have a good night!
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Thank you, Amy, I saw the intro section!
In solo projects I usually see my reader name in the MW from the start. I could enter them myself, just wanted to make sure the other solo project parameters are in order.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Mark,
I added you as the reader for all sections now. I think all is well.
Have a good night.
-Amy
LenaSukhaya

Post by LenaSukhaya »

Hey Mark, happy to DPL if you'd like me to :D
С уважением, Лена
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

LenaSukhaya wrote: December 13th, 2021, 9:02 pm Hey Mark, happy to DPL if you'd like me to :D
And I am happy to have you on board, Lena :9: Thank you!
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Lena is officially added as DPL. I'll move you to Going Solo.
Have a good night!
-Amy
LenaSukhaya

Post by LenaSukhaya »

Thanks both!
С уважением, Лена
LenaSukhaya

Post by LenaSukhaya »

Hi Mark, Happy New Year! Love your new book selection! Translation notes are super interesting. Sections 0 - 4 - PL OK!
С уважением, Лена
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Thank you, Lena! Happy New Year to you!
You generously gave me credit for sec.4, but I did not post it yet :wink:
LenaSukhaya

Post by LenaSukhaya »

Ah sorry, I'm not used to counting from zero! :lol: Sections 0-3 PL OK! :thumbs:
С уважением, Лена