[COMPLETE] The Story Of My Life - Part 2 (Letters 1887 - 1901), by Helen Keller - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

The Story of My Life - Part 2 (Letters 1887 - 1901), by Helen Keller (1880 - 1968) and John Albert Macy (1877 - 1932)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-story-of-my-life-part-2-letters-by-helen-keller/
When Helen Keller's autobiography was first published in 1903, Part 1 of this 3 part book, she was a young student at Radcliffe College. In it, she shares memories of her childhood, describes how Miss Sullivan rescued her from complete darkness, and reflects on her experiences as a college student.

Part 2 is a collection of Helen's letters from age 8 through 1901, addressed to various teachers, friends and mentors. This is interspersed with introductory commentary by her editor John Albert Macy. It is fascinating to see how her awareness of the world expanded as she matured, how much she relied on "teacher" (Anne Sullivan) to be her eyes ears, and interpreter of life, and displays her extraordinary graciousness, and ability to paint word pictures from an early age.

Part 3 of this book includes in-depth writings by her teacher, Anne Mansfield Sullivan, on her teaching methods, their experiences learning together; and additional insightful commentary by editor John Albert Macy on Helen’s extraordinary education, personality, giftedness, and literary style.

The 1962 hit movie "The Miracle Worker" (nominated for 5 academy awards), starring Anne Bancroft (won Best Actress) and Patty Duke (won Best Supporting Actress), was based upon information in this book.(Summary by Michele Fry)
Source text: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2397
Victoria and Wayne, letters are numbered and sections color coded on this document: Letters Breakdown of Text into Sections Wayne will read the parts in BOLD and all INTROS AND OUTROS, Victoria everything else.

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

This project is a duet by Victoria Neely and Wayne Cooke

Prooflistening level: Special: In addition to Standard, please follow along with the text and notate any significant discrepancies (missed text, wrong words that alter meaning, etc.)
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Literary Collections/Letters

Keywords that describe the book: Anne Sullivan, Michael Anagnos, Perkins Institution, deaf/blind education, braille
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

INTRO for Section 1:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of The Story of My Life - Part 2 (Letters 1887 - 1901), by Helen Keller and John Albert Macy, published in 1904. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." Helen's letters are read by Victoria Neely. Editorial comments are read by Wayne Cooke "The Story of My Life - Part 2 (Letters), Section Title as shown in the MW, e.g. Section #, Letters x thru y."
After Section 1, Intro can be shortened thus:
"Section # of The Story of My Life - Part 2 (Letters), by Helen Keller and John Albert Macy. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." Helen's letters are read by Victoria Neely, narration and editorial comments by Wayne Cooke Section #, Letters x thru y[/i]."[/quote]

OUTRO:
Say:
"End of section (#)"
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Story of My Life - Part 2 (Letters 1887 - 1901), by Helen Keller and John Albert Macy."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: storyofmylife2letters_##_keller_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. storyofmylife2letters_01_keller_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

THE TEAM:
BC: Michele Fry (msfry)
MC: TriciaG
Editor/DPL: Michele Fry
Final DPL: LCaulkins (Lynette)
Readers: Victoria Neely (teabender) and Wayne Cooke (kalamareader)
Cover Preclaimed 12/9/21: Michele Fry
Last edited by msfry on March 29th, 2022, 4:15 pm, edited 15 times in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'll MC this.

Your intro talks of part 3, read by LV narrators. Is that a part of this project? Or are you going to start that one after this, so that you know it's going to be a group project?

Also, please note that part 1 has 3 versions. I'm not sure about naming a narrator for it, since there were three narrators. :hmm:

EDIT: This is set up. I'm not sure about the intro. Why not just say "Read by [name]" on the section(s) each reads? Having "This recording is a duet. Helen's letters are read by Victoria Neely. Editorial comments are read by Michele Fry" on every section seems like overkill.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks for taking this on. It's one big book, each part with different characteristics. I envision it listed as we list multi-"volume"works, only it will say Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 as referenced in the book.

Part 1 is an autobiography, thus a solo. Previous versions include only Part 1 of the book. Our collection I don't consider Version 3, but Part 1 of 3.
Part 2, I will only use that long introduction on the first section, then on subsequent sections say read by Patricia Neely and Michele Fry. Our parts are interspersed throughout.
Part 3, is a collection of essays NOT by Helen Keller, suitable for a variety of readers.
Does this answer your question?

The confusion comes in because the project started out as a solo, including only Part 1. I was DPL. When I got near the end and perused the rest of the book, I saw that Parts 2 and 3 were also very interesting, and that nobody had recorded those portions for LV already, so Patricia and I decided to expand it as described. Leni did her best to alter the intro to include the expanded project, but the last iteration happened after cataloging. If you can remove any previous iterations you find from wherever it may still lurk, that would be grand. :D

I'll fill in the MW tonight, and let Patricia know we're ready to rock and roll.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, sounds good. What I can do is add a direct link in the intro to Patricia's version, so it's clear that's the one being referenced. And eventually when part 3 gets cataloged, we can go back and direct link all 3 catalog pages in the 3 intros.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Oh! I would love to be your final-DPL if you're still looking for that!
~Lynette * - family visiting, very slow response and PL work until the 22nd.
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
msfry

Post by msfry »

LCaulkins wrote: December 9th, 2021, 2:24 pm Oh! I would love to be your final-DPL if you're still looking for that!
That will be splendid! Thanks. It may take a several days to roll out each section, what with the holidays.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Added Lynette as DPL, and moving this to Readers Found!
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

That's perfect. I'm likely to be on my slower side Dec 21-26.
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

Hello, Victoria here checking in! Just starting to dig into the instructions on how to do the recordings. Thanks for getting this going, Michele.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Announcement. The more I read along in the text the more I heard Wayne Cooke's voice in the book (editor's role) rather than mine, and he has graciously accepted my invitation. My role has thus changed to "editor" who splices the parts together. As I won't be recording anything but will be putting each file through Checker and listening to everything, I could serve as DPL. That might be more efficient, but Lynette is welcome to stay on if she so desires.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Teabender wrote: December 9th, 2021, 7:24 pm Hello, Victoria here checking in! Just starting to dig into the instructions on how to do the recordings. Thanks for getting this going, Michele.
Well, Victoria, looks like we are on our way. Let me know if you have problems understanding the instructions.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Either way is fine with me - although, I thought we can't final-PL sections we've edited?
msfry

Post by msfry »

LCaulkins wrote: December 9th, 2021, 9:33 pm Either way is fine with me - although, I thought we can't final-PL sections we've edited?
You may be right. I'd love it if you'd check my editing, but I'll surely PL the readers parts as I edit, no matter what, and you can PL that too. :D
msfry

Post by msfry »

TriciaG wrote: December 8th, 2021, 4:44 pm OK, sounds good. What I can do is add a direct link in the intro to Victoria's version, so it's clear that's the one being referenced. And eventually when part 3 gets cataloged, we can go back and direct link all 3 catalog pages in the 3 intros.
:thumbs:
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

msfry wrote: December 9th, 2021, 9:43 pm
LCaulkins wrote: December 9th, 2021, 9:33 pm Either way is fine with me - although, I thought we can't final-PL sections we've edited?
You may be right. I'd love it if you'd check my editing, but I'll surely PL the readers parts as I edit, no matter what, and you can PL that too. :D
I'll just do the final sections. :)