[COMPLETE] Recruit for Andromeda by Milton Lesser - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ajhuguelet

Post by ajhuguelet »

Recruit for Andromeda, by Stephen Marlowe (1928 - 2008)

This project is complete and all audio files can be found in the catalogue: https://librivox.org/recruit-for-andromeda-by-stephen-marlowe/

Volunteers outside the USA: Stephen Marlowe died in 2008. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
No one comes back from the Nowhere Journey, whatever they say about some “rotation.” When Kit Temple's drafted, he figures he's leaving his girl, his life, behind forever. But his fellow-draftee, the enigmatic Arkalion, seems to know a lot more than what he's letting on. When Kit follows Arkalion to the end of space and time, he finds out what's really going on in this “Nowhere” and takes on a trial that will decide the fate of Earth itself! (Summary by Andrew Huguelet)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/50449

Target completion date: 2022-09-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Chapter # of Recruit for Andromeda. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Recruit for Andromeda, by Stephen Marlowe. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Chapter # of Recruit for Andromeda, by Stephen Marlowe. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Recruit for Andromeda, by Stephen Marlowe."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: recruitforandromeda_##_marlowe_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. recruitforandromeda_01_marlowe_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Rapunzelina

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by ajhuguelet on April 24th, 2022, 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Andrew! Let me set this up for you.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Magic Window is in place!

In order to access it, you'll need to create a password for it, which you can also use for the uploader.

Here's all you need to know about the Magic Window as your own BC: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window
Start from "Accessing the System – First Time Login" to create your password

Please ask if something is unclear.

I'm not sure whether the Ace Books summary is in the public domain and usable for Librivox. I think it's best if you write one in your own words.

Have fun with your solo!!
ajhuguelet

Post by ajhuguelet »

Rapunzelina wrote: December 2nd, 2021, 3:12 pm Magic Window is in place!

In order to access it, you'll need to create a password for it, which you can also use for the uploader.

Here's all you need to know about the Magic Window as your own BC: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window
Start from "Accessing the System – First Time Login" to create your password

Please ask if something is unclear.

I'm not sure whether the Ace Books summary is in the public domain and usable for Librivox. I think it's best if you write one in your own words.

Have fun with your solo!!
Good point about the summary. Didn't even think about it. I will write something different soon.

And thanks!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I have moved us to Going Solo
ajhuguelet

Post by ajhuguelet »

I probably should have asked earlier or said something, but do I need a DPL or someone to listen to this stuff? I'm pretty confident in my editing, but I wanted to be sure before I really get to posting the chapters.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Yes, every project needs a Proof Listener. I think it's best to ask for one after there are files to listen to. Sometimes a DPL offers in the meantime, but if not, you can ask for one in the Listeners Wanted forum, here are instructions viewtopic.php?p=318668#p318668
sati

Post by sati »

I'd like to volunteer as a DPL if you need one.
Regards
Sati
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

We were just talking about a DPL :D I'll sign you up. Thank you, Sati!
ajhuguelet

Post by ajhuguelet »

Perfect timing! I finished editing the first two chapters today. The second chapter starts with something like a play. Didn't want to repeat "First man, second man..." etc, so let me know if that part needs more added to make it understandable. Tried to make the voices different enough that a listener to could different people were speaking without going off the wall on them.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/recruitforandromeda_01_marlowe_128kb.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/recruitforandromeda_02_marlowe_128kb.mp3
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

A couple of suggestions for the Magic Window:

You can mark the files "Ready for PL", etc, from that last column, click on it and toggle the status of the section. I've now marked the first two "Ready for PL".

In the notes field you can add the duration of the files.

Good start! :thumbs:
sati

Post by sati »

ajhuguelet wrote: January 2nd, 2022, 12:11 pm Perfect timing! I finished editing the first two chapters today. The second chapter starts with something like a play. Didn't want to repeat "First man, second man..." etc, so let me know if that part needs more added to make it understandable. Tried to make the voices different enough that a listener to could different people were speaking without going off the wall on them.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/recruitforandromeda_01_marlowe_128kb.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/recruitforandromeda_02_marlowe_128kb.mp3
Hi ajhuguelet!
I am afraid I won't be able to PL this book for you as the book is still protected under copyright duration for me. I apologize I didn't see it sooner before offering to volunteer for DPL. Good luck with the project! I am sure someone else will come around soon :)
ajhuguelet

Post by ajhuguelet »

sati wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 5:12 am Hi ajhuguelet!
I am afraid I won't be able to PL this book for you as the book is still protected under copyright duration for me. I apologize I didn't see it sooner before offering to volunteer for DPL. Good luck with the project! I am sure someone else will come around soon :)
I'm sorry to hear that. Thanks for letting me know!
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Please put me down as PL for those first two chapters.
Chris
I adopt YOUR orphaned chapters, for FREE!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Feel free to PL those two chapters and then let us now if you'd like to commit to the whole book :D