[COMPLETE] My Larger Education, by Booker T. Washington - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

My Larger Education, by Booker T. Washington (1856 - 1915)

This project is complete and in our catalog at https://librivox.org/my-larger-education-by-booker-t-washington/
This is a sequel to Washington's first autobiographical book, Up From Slavery, which depicted his early life. He says "This book contains answers to the questions I have frequently been asked as to how I have worked out for myself the educational methods which we are now using at Tuskegee; and, finally, to illustrate, for the benefit of the members of my own race, some of the ways in which a people who are struggling upward may turn disadvantages into opportunities." "The fact that I was born a Negro, and the further fact that I have all my life been engaged in a kind of work that was intended to uplift the masses of my people, has brought me in contact with many exceptional persons, both North and South." Chapter after chapter reveals how he raised money from willing white philanthropists to support Tuskegee Institute, how his travels to study European methods of education influenced him, lessons he learned from fellow negros, and how his patient educational approach differed from what many more radical black activists advocated. (Summary by Michele Fry)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/largereducation00washrich/page/n13/mode/2up

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record. PLEASE NOTE: These are long sections, thus may not be the most suitable for new readers.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: SPECIAL. DPL is Michele Fry, I will follow along with the text and notate significant discrepancies.
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

[/list]

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Biography & Autobiography

Keywords that describe the book: Tuskegee Institute, Andrew Carnegie,

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

INTRO to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
Chapter # of My Larger Education, by Booker T. Washington, (optional "read/recorded by Your Name, location, date, etc"). This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." "My Larger Education, by Booker T. Washington. Title, (as shown in the MW)."
OUTRO: End of recording:
Say:
"End of Chapter #, Title" [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of My Larger Education, by Booker T. Washington."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: mylargereducation_##_washington_128kb.mp3, where ## is the section number. (e.g. mylargereducation_01_washington_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: philchenevert

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.

The team:
BC: Michele Fry (msfry)
MC: Phil Chenevert (philchenevert)
DPL: Michele Fry (msfry)
Cover: Michele Fry (msfry)
Last edited by msfry on March 6th, 2022, 10:41 pm, edited 14 times in total.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Another great project Michele. I will set this up for you.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
msfry

Post by msfry »

Whee! Thanks for joining forces with me. I'm excited about this project!
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

PLease, Ma'am, I'd like to try these sections:

II. Building a School Around a Problem

and

VI. A Commencement Oration on Cabbages
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

II and VI are yours, Bill! Thanks for joining the project. Can't wait to see what is said about cabbages!!! :D
msfry

Post by msfry »

Chapter 1 is uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/mylargereducation_01_washington_128kb.mp3 26:01

Bill, can you PL this for me?
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 1:23 pm Chapter 1 is uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/mylargereducation_01_washington_128kb.mp3 26:01

Bill, can you PL this for me?
yes, I would be happy to do so.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Chapter 01, Learning from People and things has now been PL-ed TWICE. As I began to PL this chapter yesterday evening, I recognized more and more phrases from the text as having been noticed in a prior reading. Names, like General Armstrong and William Baldwin, etc. were as familiar to me as the author's own name. In short: this was the second time I had parsed this text.

It was as good this time as it must have been the first time.
Another sterling performance, Michele!
So this section REMAINS PL-OK.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks for the PL! I bet you got interrupted before finishing the job, then it sunk down under other stuff. Happens to me more often than I care to admit. :(
So much going on, never a dull moment, my life is like popcorn in a pot. :)
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded Chapter 2 Building a School for a Purpose

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/mylargereducation_02_washington_128kb.mp3
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

RE-uploaded chapter 02 because the volume was too low.
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/mylargereducation_02_washington_128kb.mp3
45:15
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 2
What an interesting chapter!! Thanks for taking it on. Booker T. was quite a guy. Just one little note:

41:37 several months of study. you say duty
acweber78

Post by acweber78 »

May I read chapter 11?
msfry

Post by msfry »

acweber78 wrote: December 21st, 2021, 3:22 pm May I read chapter 11?
Thanks and welcome to the project! You're in! :D
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: December 21st, 2021, 8:48 am PL Notes Section 2
What an interesting chapter!! Thanks for taking it on. Booker T. was quite a guy. Just one little note:

41:37 several months of study. you say duty
Section 02 fixed and uploadedl
45:13
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison