COMPLETE [Nature] Anecdotes of the Habits and Instinct of Animals, by Mrs Robert Lee-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
czandra

Post by czandra »

Anecdotes of the Habits and Instinct of Animals, by Mrs Robert Lee (1791 - 1856)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/anecdotes-of-the-habits-and-instinct-of-animals-by-mrs-robert-lee/

Stories about unusual interactions between animals and humans that reflect some attitudes to the wild in the mid-eighteen hundreds, including trophy hunting.
"Chronically ill and often in pain," the author, Mary Custis Lee, experienced "hardship with sturdy and radiant faith." Maybe that's why she did not turn away in this book, from unpleasant and often gory accounts of animal encounters. (Summary by Czandra)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/21973

Target completion date: 28-2-22

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for two months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

At the beginning of the section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Anecdotes of the Habits and Instinct of Animals. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Anecdotes of the Habits and Instinct of Animals, by Mrs Robert Lee. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Anecdotes of the Habits and Instinct of Animals, by Mrs Robert Lee."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: anecdotes_##_lee_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. anecdotes_01_lee_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: MaryAnnSpiegel

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by czandra on December 30th, 2021, 6:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
I asked my librarian about the noise, and she said, "no one would come here
if they weren't allowed to talk out loud." So I read out loud.

Je lis à haute voix car refléchir fait trop de bruit!
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Anna,
I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
Craig0a

Post by Craig0a »

Hello MaryAnn,

Thank you so much! I can't wait to get started!

Best regards,
Anna
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I see you've posted a section. Please post in the thread when you do so, that allows a DPL (and me) to get a notice when there are new sections posted.

Since we haven't snagged a DPL yet, you might want to post an advert in the Listeners Wanted forum. Instructions are here: viewtopic.php?p=318668#p318668

I'll move this thread over to going solo to keep the launch pad tidy.

MaryAnn
Craig0a

Post by Craig0a »

Hello,

Chapter 2: Bats is ready for PL -- https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/anecdotes_02_lee_128kb.mp3

If no one volunteers to listen in the next few days, I will advertise...

Thank you!

Best regards,
Anna
Craig0a

Post by Craig0a »

Craig0a

Post by Craig0a »

Craig0a

Post by Craig0a »

Chapter 6 -- Bears: https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/anecdotes_05_lee_128kb.mp3

.... I am not sure how much more I can take of reading about human cruelty in trapping, torturing, and killing animals...
Craig0a

Post by Craig0a »

Craig0a

Post by Craig0a »

Craig0a

Post by Craig0a »

Hello MaryAnn,

I am so sorry, but I can't take this book anymore. I thought it would be a celebration of animals, but instead it is a painfully unapologetic litany of the cruelty of man. I can't read it any further.

I am sorry for the trouble!

Best regards,
Anna
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

That's OK. I'll mark it as abandoned and post to see if another BC wants to adopt it at some point.

MaryAnn
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Via PM, Czandra asked me to get this one out to set up as a group project. I cannot MC it.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I'd be happy to continue MCing it.

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Czandra,

I've put you in as the "poster" on the first post so you can edit it. You should also have access to the MW.

MaryAnn