No Man's Land, by H.C. McNeile - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

No Man’s Land, by H.C. McNeile (1888 - 1937)

This project is complete and can be found in our catalog at https://librivox.org/no-mans-land-by-sapper/
This book was written by a British Army officer Herman Cyril McNeile (b.28 September 1888, d. 14 August 1937). In France on active service for a total of 32 months, McNeile was in action during the First and Second battles of Ypres, being gassed in the latter. He also saw action at the Battle of the Somme.

His brave actions were favourably mentioned in dispatches, and in 1916, for military service and achievements during the First World War, H.C. McNeile was awarded the Military Cross. He retired on to the reserve officer list in the rank of Major.

Serving soldiers could not publish books using their real names, so newspaper magnate Lord Northcliffe christened McNeile with the pseudonym "Sapper", to reflect his Royal Engineers background, and protect his identity.

“Sapper’s” greatest creation was Bulldog Drummond, about whom he wrote 10 espionage novels from 1920 onwards.

Amongst other books “Sapper” wrote was this one, “No Mans Land”.

Set in wartime “No Mans Land” is made up of five parts. Part 1, “The Way To The Land” is a preface to the rest of the book, in which fictional character Clive Draycott, travels in Europe, prior to the outbreak of the First World War. Part II, “The Land”, consists of eight stories detailing the day to day lives of soldiers in the trenches. Part III, “Seed Time” is about a salesman turned soldier. In the concluding Part IV, “Harvest”, “Sapper” puts forward his theory that although war is awful and many suffer, those who survive, can be changed for the better. Themes of class, gender, and history are plentiful throughout the book.

Sadly “Sapper” died on 14 August 1937 from throat cancer, which it was believed was a consequence of his being gassed during the war. (Summary by “afinevoice”, your reader with thanks to MPorcius. For more on the book, see https://mporcius.blogspot.com/2015/06/no-mans-land-by-sapper.html?m=1)
Source text (please read only from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/23874

Target completion date: 23-05-22

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: War & Military Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of No Mans Land. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "No Mans Land, by H.C. McNeile. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of No Mans Land, by H.C. McNeile. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of No Mans Land, by H.C. McNeile."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: nomansland_##_mcneile_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. nomansland_01_mcneile_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: phil chenevert

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by afinevoice on December 22nd, 2021, 1:06 am, edited 26 times in total.
Thanks,
Adrian
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I will set this up for you. Looks interesting. Have you done a solo before? :D
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

Yes, I’ve solo read The Great Gatsby (version 2) and am on a solo at chapter 26/32 of Memories and Adventures by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. It will be a couple of weeks before I get started on this one as I have to finish the Conan Doyle one first.
Thanks,
Adrian
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

afinevoice wrote: October 24th, 2021, 1:07 am Yes, I’ve solo read The Great Gatsby (version 2) and am on a solo at chapter 26/32 of Memories and Adventures by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. It will be a couple of weeks before I get started on this one as I have to finish the Conan Doyle one first.
Wow! you are certainly turning out the tracks, eh? Great. This will be here when Sir Arthur has finally solved all those cases. :thumbs:
Oreki

Post by Oreki »

Hey there! May I DPL? :D
- Amon
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

It's okay with me :) I'm not starting for a few weeks as I'm finishing another project, but I'll be in touch.
Thanks,
Adrian
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Oreki wrote: October 31st, 2021, 6:03 am Hey there! May I DPL? :D
And you are in! thanks :thumbs:
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Moving this to Going Solo
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

philchenevert wrote: November 7th, 2021, 8:50 am Moving this to Going Solo
:thumbs:
Thanks,
Adrian
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

Thanks,
Adrian
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

Last edited by afinevoice on November 16th, 2021, 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,
Adrian
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

Thanks,
Adrian
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

I'm away from 18/11 to 24/11 so won't be reading during that time.
Last edited by afinevoice on November 17th, 2021, 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,
Adrian
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

Phil, I see in the project setup it refers to me reading No Man's Land by Herman Cyril McNeile. I'm referring to him as HC McNeile. Is that okay or do I need to be saying Herman Cyril McNeile?
Last edited by afinevoice on November 17th, 2021, 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,
Adrian
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

afinevoice wrote: November 16th, 2021, 10:48 am Phil, I see in the project setup it refers to me reading No Man's Land by Herman Cyril McNeile. I'm referring to him as HC McNeile. Is that okay or do I need to be saying Herman Cyril McNeile?

Thanks, Adrian
It is your choice Adrian but if you decide to use HC McNeile, you should change the first post to reflect exactly what you will be saying so the DPL can know what to listen for.