COMPLETE [The Last Man] by [Mary Shelley] - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JudeSomers

Post by JudeSomers »

The Last Man, by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley (1797 - 1851)

This project is complete! All audio files can be found in the catalogue: https://librivox.org/the-last-man-vol-i-by-mary-wollstonecraft-shelley/
to be submitted when read is completed (Summary by Jude Somers)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/18247

Target completion date: 2022-02-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: to be submitted when read is completed

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Last Man. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Last Man, by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Last Man, by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Last Man, by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: lastman_##_shelley_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. lastman_01_shelley_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: rapunzelina

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
......................................................................................

"With gratitude, optimism is sustainable."
Michael J. Fox
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hey Jude :D

Let me MC this project! This will be version 2 in the Librivox catalogue, in case you didn't know / it matters to you.
This book is a long one so it will take some time, months, probably even years. Be prepared!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Oh, are you doing just Volume I?

I've just placed the Magic Window, and noticed the number of sections.

You now have access to the MW!
JudeSomers

Post by JudeSomers »

Thanks! The other version is a compilation read so I thought it okay to give listeners a choice between that and a solo version. I’m ready to settle in for a winter project so here goes.

cheers
Jude
......................................................................................

Michael J. Fox
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Cool! I'll move you to Going Solo! :thumbs:
JudeSomers

Post by JudeSomers »

The Introduction (length 13:32) is now uploaded and ready to PL. Unfortunately I lost the official link to the uploaded file so I tried to recreate it based on previous links I've used. Sorry if this doesn't work.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rap/lastman_00_shelley_128kb.mp3

At 10:14 there is a short passage in Italian (which I don't speak). I did my best but I've never had a read require this before so I don't know if there's some etiquette usually applied. I just did my best and wish to apologize to any Italian speakers who might hear this.

Does this project have a DPL yet? I don't really know anyone to approach so I'm hoping you will have some ideas.

cheers
Jude

Michael J. Fox
JudeSomers

Post by JudeSomers »

I uploaded the Introduction a second time and got the correct link:

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/lastman_00_shelley_128kb.mp3

Bit of a rocky start on my part, but I think this will be an interesting book to read.

Jude

Michael J. Fox
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Thank you for the correct link!
JudeSomers wrote: October 29th, 2021, 2:06 pm At 10:14 there is a short passage in Italian (which I don't speak). I did my best but I've never had a read require this before so I don't know if there's some etiquette usually applied. I just did my best and wish to apologize to any Italian speakers who might hear this.
What you did is absolutely fine!
Other options are: use Google translate - in most languages it offers a computer-generated sound of the passage which might give you an idea of how it's pronounced - no guarantee it's correct though. It depends on the simplicity of the phrase or language.
Another option, if you're not in a hurry, is to post for help in the "Pronunciation Help" thread, and give it some time until another volunteer offers a recording or transcription of the text.

JudeSomers wrote: October 29th, 2021, 2:06 pm Does this project have a DPL yet? I don't really know anyone to approach so I'm hoping you will have some ideas.
Actually, I would be happy to DPL :D
But to answer your question, common practice is to advertise for a listener after one or more sections are Ready for PL. Here's more info for future reference: viewtopic.php?p=318668#p318668

Section 0, Introduction, is PL OK! :thumbs:
JudeSomers

Post by JudeSomers »

Okay, and we're off! Chapter One (length 32:57) is uploaded and ready to PL.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/lastman_01_shelley_128kb.mp3

phew!
Jude

Michael J. Fox
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

:thumbs: Chapter 1 is PL OK!
JudeSomers

Post by JudeSomers »

Hi - I'm reading Chapter 2 and there's a date that just can't be right . The quote is:

"In the year 2073, the last of its kings, the ancient friend of my father ..."

The main character visits Naples in 1818 according to the first chapter. I'd guess his age at that time to be 20-40 years old. So how could 2073 fit with this? Besides, I don't think this is that kind of time-travel sci-fi story.

What do you think I should do? (I'll keep reading of course but will wait to edit in our best guess date)

thanks
Jude

Michael J. Fox
JudeSomers

Post by JudeSomers »

JudeSomers wrote: November 4th, 2021, 6:06 pm Hi - I'm reading Chapter 2 and there's a date that just can't be right . The quote is:

"In the year 2073, the last of its kings, the ancient friend of my father ..."

The main character visits Naples in 1818 according to the first chapter. I'd guess his age at that time to be 20-40 years old. So how could 2073 fit with this? Besides, I don't think this is that kind of time-travel sci-fi story.

What do you think I should do? (I'll keep reading of course but will wait to edit in our best guess date)

thanks
Jude
Okay, I get it now. Did some research about the book and now understand that it's a dystopian story set in the early 21 century ... the 1818 reference is supposed to be the author's trip to Naples and the Sybillian predictions that are found in the cave are about the future (2073 etc) world. Phew.

Sorry to have bothered you about this. Back to the editing ...

Jude

Michael J. Fox
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

The plot thickens :mrgreen:
JudeSomers

Post by JudeSomers »

Chapter 2 (length 47:55) is now uploaded and ready to PL when you have lots of time to listen.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/lastman_02_shelley_128kb.mp3

Woof! Mary Shelley makes Charles Dickens seem like a writer for People Magazine ... so many words!!!!

cheers
Jude (enjoying the challenge)

Michael J. Fox
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Thanks, Jude! I'm not able to check files these days, but I will give a proper listen by the end of November. If you have more files ready in the meantime, go ahead and upload and I will eventually catch up :thumbs: