[COMPLETE][Solo][Children's fiction] Betty Gordon at Bramble Farm, by Alice B. Emerson - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mariechristian

Post by mariechristian »

Betty Gordon at Bramble Farm, by Alice B. Emerson

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/betty-gordon-at-bramble-farm-by-alice-b-emerson/
Betty Gordon found herself an orphan at age twelve. She became the ward of her uncle, Richard Gordon. She immediately came to love her uncle dearly. Unfortunately, his job took him on travels regularly. Therefore, he decided to send Betty to spend the summer with an old friend, Agatha Peabody, at Bramble Farm. Little did Uncle Dick or Betty know, that Bramble Farm was not a welcoming or joyful place to live, as Agatha's husband was a miserly and sour man. The only bright spot in Betty's summer was her friendship with Bob, a poor orphan, bound to work tirelessly upon the farm. (Summary by Marie Christian)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/43907

Target completion date: 2021-12-19

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section # of Betty Gordon at Bramble Farm.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"Betty Gordon at Bramble Farm, by Alice B. Emerson.
Section Title." (see MW for full title)
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section # of Betty Gordon at Bramble Farm, by Alice B. Emerson.
This LibriVox recording is in the public domain."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"Section Title." (see MW for full title)
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #."
[Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Betty Gordon at Bramble Farm, by Alice B. Emerson."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: bettygordon_##_emerson_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. bettygordon_01_emerson_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Marie Christian
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hello Marie, I see you feel ready to do a first solo. I will MC this and be back with a Magic Window to fill out soon. Stay tuned.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Ok this is set up. I see you don't have a DPL lined up yet, so I put a tilde (~) in the project title. We'll stay here a few days to see if we can attract a volunteer. But you can start recording whenever you feel ready.

The MW is ready to be filled out by you. As it's your first time accessing the MW, please ask if anything is unclear. You enter the MW interface by clicking on the BC Admin link underneath the MW. It may not accept your forum password, so simply click on "forgot password" and you'll get an email so you can change it for the MW specifically.

I filled out a few section titles for you already, so you can see what it will look like. I always recommend to use "Section (number)" in the intro/outro disclaimers, that way the numbering will be straight, even if a chapter is too long and may have to be split in two parts.
So the first section intro would run thus:
"Section 1 of Betty Gordon at Bramble Farm. This is a LV recording...(etc). Chapter I. Waiting For Word".
In a solo, for the second and remaining sections you can use the shortened intro (see first post for exact wording).

Have fun with your first Solo ! Any questions, just ask. :)

Sonia
mariechristian

Post by mariechristian »

Thank you! I got into to the MW. I will enter the chapter names when I can get home on my computer 😊
Marie Christian
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mariechristian wrote: October 21st, 2021, 3:26 pm Thank you! I got into to the MW. I will enter the chapter names when I can get home on my computer 😊
:thumbs: looks good. Everything is ready then.

And you know what ? I will subscribe as DPL myself here. Looks like a nice short starter for a soloist and I haven't read children's books in quite a while so it will give me something relaxing to do as well :)

We are moving to Going Solo then

Enjoy recording

Sonia
mariechristian

Post by mariechristian »

Great! Thank you :D
Marie Christian
mariechristian

Post by mariechristian »

Hi! I think I found a typo in chapter one. I think author meant impatient vs patient; otherwise it doesn't make sense.

Chapter #1, Paragraph #6 Sentence #2 : She was one of these patient, anxious women who unconsciously nag every one about them and whose stream of complaint never rises above a constant murmur.

Should I change it?

Thanks, Marie :D
Marie Christian
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mariechristian wrote: October 25th, 2021, 12:14 pmHi! I think I found a typo in chapter one. I think author meant impatient vs patient; otherwise it doesn't make sense.

Chapter #1, Paragraph #6 Sentence #2 : She was one of these patient, anxious women who unconsciously nag every one about them and whose stream of complaint never rises above a constant murmur.

Should I change it?
I would leave this one though. To me it makes sense. That she is patient shows that her complaints never rise above a murmur, otherwise she would be a louder woman. Still she is nagging people with her "quiet" way of complaining. I haven't read on in the text yet, but if the characters stays "quiet" like this, then I think "patient" makes more sense.

Usually we rarely change the text, only if it's really obvious. Otherwise we stick to the "don't change what the author wrote" rule. In this case I would opt to leave it as it is.

Sonia
mariechristian

Post by mariechristian »

Got it! That makes sense.
Marie Christian
mariechristian

Post by mariechristian »

Marie Christian
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mariechristian wrote: October 25th, 2021, 5:48 pmChapter 1
length 12:29
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/bettygordon_01_emerson_128kb.mp3
bravo on the first chapter. You have a very enthusiastic and young-sounding voice, this fits well for little Betty. I liked to listen to it and the story promises to be interesting.

Only two small corrections to be made:

> at 10:03: "staring abstractedly at a border of sweet alyssum" – you say asylum, but here they mean the plant: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alyssum

> at the end: we only need 5 seconds of silence. Suddenly at 12:20 some recording starts again, :hmm: you can cut out everything after 12:15

Oh and as Soloist, you are in charge of the updating of the MW as well. So when you have new sections, please copy the file-link into the correct spot (I did it this time for you, so you can see where it has to go), write the length into the Notes section and change the Status to Ready for PL (or Spot PL this time).

Thank you, great start. Looking forward to more.

Sonia
mariechristian

Post by mariechristian »

Got it!
Thanks!
Marie Christian
mariechristian

Post by mariechristian »

Marie Christian
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you, now perfectly PL ok. Great patch ! Wouldn't hear a difference in sound. :thumbs: I see you have no trouble making edits, wonderful.

The section should have been put to status "ready for Spot PL" in this case, because "Ready for PL" is only for the first round, where I listen to everything. This was a bit confusing. It did not mean that you re-recorded it all from scratch I suppose ? :hmm: Just need this confirmation, otherwise I will have to listen to it all again.

Thanks

Sonia
mariechristian

Post by mariechristian »

Great! I'll remember that for the future :D
Marie Christian