[Solo]The Knave of Diamonds by Ethel M. Dell - kit

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
SirenaRose

Post by SirenaRose »

The Knave of Diamonds by Ethel M. Dell (1881 - 1939)
After a series of chance encounters, an unlikely friendship blossoms between reserved Englishwoman, Lady Anne Carfax and the free-spirited American, Napoleon "Nap" Errol. Anne's ill-tempered husband, Sir Giles Carfax becomes enraged by the innocent relationship, only for Nap to realize that he has indeed fallen in love with Anne. (Summary by SirenaRose)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/12484

Target completion date: 2024-06-30

Prooflistening level: Word Perfect
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section # of The Knave of Diamonds.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"The Knave of Diamonds by Ethel M. Dell.
Section Title." (see MW for full title)
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section # of The Knave of Diamonds by Ethel M. Dell.
This LibriVox recording is in the public domain."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"Section Title." (see MW for full title)
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #."
[Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Knave of Diamonds by Ethel M. Dell."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: knaveofdiamonds_##_dell_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. knaveofdiamonds_01_dell_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by SirenaRose on December 30th, 2023, 10:09 am, edited 8 times in total.
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Hello! If you don't have a DPL lined up, I'd be happy to PL this project. I'm not familiar with this book yet, but it's nice to see another Dell novel being added to the catalog!
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
SirenaRose

Post by SirenaRose »

Hi Scarbo,
That would be great! Thank you! I'm looking forward to working with you again! :) I really enjoyed being a reader for The Way of an Eagle and after reading it, knew I HAD to read her other novels. This one is definitely one of my other favorites of hers so far.

Scarbo wrote: October 18th, 2021, 5:06 pm Hello! If you don't have a DPL lined up, I'd be happy to PL this project. I'm not familiar with this book yet, but it's nice to see another Dell novel being added to the catalog!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hello Sirena and Scarbo. This sounds like an interesting novel and I'll MC it. Will be back with the MW soon.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

All right, Sirena, you have your MW ready to be filled out by you. This is probably your first time accessing the MW, so if you need any help, just ask :) You enter it by clicking on the BC Admin link underneath the MW. It may not accept your forum password, so simply click on "forgot password" and you'll get an email so you can change it for the MW specifically.

I filled out a few section titles for you already, so you can see what it will look like. I don't think we need to say "Part I" each time, unless you want to be most accurate. But don't forget to put in Part II once this starts, because then the chapters will probably start again from number 1 and this might be confusing for listeners.

For the same reason I'd strongly recommend to use "Section (number)" in the intro/outro disclaimers, that way the numbering will be straight and not hampered by awkardly long titles. And in a solo, for the second and remaining sections you can use the shortened intro.
So it would run thus:
"Section 1 of Knave of diamonds. This is a LV recording...(etc, see first post for exact wording). Dedication"
"Section 2 of Knave of diamonds by Ethel M. Dell. This LV recording is in the PD. Part 1 Chapter 1. The missing heart."
and so on. This makes it very clean and easy to understand.

Something else we need is a summary, the one you took from TLC books cannot be used as a simple copy/paste because it would carry a copyright. Same reason we will not use wikipedia summaries. The best is always to write your own summary in your own words.

Ok I will move us to Going Solo then, since the team is complete. :) I see you want it Word Perfect, is that correct ? Very laudable, but Scarbo as DPL needs to be aware that she has to follow along with the text then. Is that ok with you both ?

Have fun with your first Solo ! Any questions, just ask.

Sonia
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Word Perfect PLing is fine with me! :)
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
SirenaRose

Post by SirenaRose »

Hi Sonia and Scarbo,

A few updates and notes:

I erased the old summary and wrote a new summary in my own words.

I chose Word Perfect because the novel's dialogue/banter between the characters is really special :9: so it might be nice for it to be proof read as Word Perfect if possible so that I can make sure I do it justice. Scarbo, I saw your response that said you are good with proof-listening this as Word Perfect. Thank you! :clap:

Sonia, when I posted the original post, I said the novel had 59 sections because I wasn't sure whether or not to treat the very short Dedication as a separate section or combine it with chapter 1. I see that you made the Dedication a separate section, which I think makes the most sense :thumbs: but I noticed that there are still 59 sections. Could you update the Magic Window to being 60 sections now that we are counting the Dedication as a separate section?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SirenaRose wrote: October 24th, 2021, 8:12 pmI erased the old summary and wrote a new summary in my own words.
:thumbs: thank you, that is perfect.
Could you update the Magic Window to being 60 sections
done. But you can add sections yourself, simply click on the "add new section" button when you are in the MW interface. In case a chapter needs to be split due to its length, you can do that if necessary.

Sonia
SirenaRose

Post by SirenaRose »

Hi Scarbo and Sonia,
I have posted Section 1 in the MW (it is 56 seconds long). I will be posting Section 2 and 3 in the next few days.
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Section 1 sounds great! The only note I have is that at 0:29, "Abiding wrack and scaith," you say "Abiding wrath and scaith."

Could you also include the file duration in the Notes field of the MW?

I'm looking forward to the next few chapters!

Sarah
SirenaRose

Post by SirenaRose »

Hi Scarbo,
I have fixed the "wrack" word error that was in Section 1. I also have posted Section 2 and included the file durations for Sections 1 and 2 in the MW Notes.
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Section 1 is PL OK!

Section 2 sounds great! I have some notes:

- At 3:03, "his sleek black hair," I hear "his sleek-back hair."
- At 3:38, "was uproariously gay," you say "was uproaringly gay."
- At 6:07, "What are you doing with them?" you say "What are you going to do with them?"
- At 7:29, "Then you are offering to weave a little romance for me?", the volume decreases somewhat. I think just amplifying this section a bit will help it be audible to the listener without their needing to raise the volume.
- At 8:45, "unutterable weariness," I hear "unutterable wariness."
- At 12:02, "I shall certainly keep him at a respectful distance," you say "I shall certainly keep him at a respectable distance."
- At 12:29, "Have you?", this phrase is also somewhat decreased in volume.
- At 13:27, "I know of an excellent sitting-out place...you will allow," this paragraph dips a bit in volume.

I see what you mean about the characters' banter! This is going to be enjoyable. :D

Sarah
SirenaRose

Post by SirenaRose »

Hi Scarbo,
I made the changes/edits to Section 2 and have reposted it. I have also posted Section 3.
Scarbo wrote: November 8th, 2021, 7:09 pm Section 1 is PL OK!

Section 2 sounds great! I have some notes:

- At 3:03, "his sleek black hair," I hear "his sleek-back hair."
- At 3:38, "was uproariously gay," you say "was uproaringly gay."
- At 6:07, "What are you doing with them?" you say "What are you going to do with them?"
- At 7:29, "Then you are offering to weave a little romance for me?", the volume decreases somewhat. I think just amplifying this section a bit will help it be audible to the listener without their needing to raise the volume.
- At 8:45, "unutterable weariness," I hear "unutterable wariness."
- At 12:02, "I shall certainly keep him at a respectful distance," you say "I shall certainly keep him at a respectable distance."
- At 12:29, "Have you?", this phrase is also somewhat decreased in volume.
- At 13:27, "I know of an excellent sitting-out place...you will allow," this paragraph dips a bit in volume.

I see what you mean about the characters' banter! This is going to be enjoyable. :D
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Section 2 is PL OK!

Section 3 sounds great! I have just a few notes:

- At 0:25, "in which the ancient hostelry abounded," I hear "in which the ancient holstery abounded."
- At 2:43, "The drawl in his voice," I hear "The draw in his voice."
- At 11:54, "Madam" dips in volume level a bit compared to the surrounding dialogue.

Sarah
SirenaRose

Post by SirenaRose »

Hi Scarbo,
I took a break from LibriVox for the Thanksgiving holiday but am now back and actively working on the edits that you suggested for Section 3. I have recorded Section 4 and Section 5, so all that's left is editing those and then I'll post them sometime this week with the revised Section 3. :)