[COMPLETE] Heart of Darkness (version 4) - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Heart of Darkness (version 4), by Joseph Conrad (1857 - 1924)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/heart-of-darkness-ver4-by-joseph-conrad/
In this powerful novella based on Joseph Conrad's own experiences in the Belgian Congo, Charles Marlow, an experienced seaman, tells a small group of friends about a profoundly disturbing episode in his life where he was employed by a large colonising enterprise to sail a tinpot steamer up a river into the heart of Africa with a view to bringing out an ivory trader who had gone rogue. Conrad biographer Maya Janasoff has argued that while Marlow's descriptions of Africans are crudely racist, the author binds this racist language with "a potentially radical suggestion. What made the difference between savagery and civilization, Conrad was saying, transcended skin color; it even transcended place. The issue for Conrad wasn’t that 'savages' were inhuman. It was that any human could be a savage." (Summary by Peter Dann)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/219

Target completion date: 2021-10-30

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Action & Adventure Fiction; Historical Fiction; Literary Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: colonialism, imperialism, congo, congo free state, ivory trade

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Heart of Darkness. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Heart of Darkness, by Joseph Conrad. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Heart of Darkness, by Joseph Conrad. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Heart of Darkness, by Joseph Conrad."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: heartofdarkness4_##_conrad_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. heartofdarkness4_01_conrad_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: craigdav1

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Sunrise2020 has kindly agreed to act as DPL for this project.

I am aware there are already several other recordings of this work on Librivox.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

MW coming up.

edit: Let me know if any changes are needed. Enjoy.
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

craigdav1 wrote: October 17th, 2021, 5:50 am MW coming up.

edit: Let me know if any changes are needed. Enjoy.
Thank you!
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Moving to Going Solo forum.
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

Another adventure coming up!
==========
Susanne
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

I couldn't resist :) . Section 1 is ok
==========
Susanne
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

PL of sections 2 and 3 is fine.
==========
Susanne
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

PL of all sections if ok.

Congratulations on a very good solo recording of this haunting novel. I haven't listened to the other recordings of this book but your's is definitely an asset in the Librivox catalogue! :clap: :clap:
==========
Susanne
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Time to catalog this one than.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Just realized that the title field in the MW is empty. Do you want to add "Chapter I, Part 1, Chapter I, Part 2, Chapter II, Part 1,..., Chapter III, Part 2?
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

craigdav1 wrote: October 26th, 2021, 10:18 am Just realized that the title field in the MW is empty. Do you want to add "Chapter I, Part 1, Chapter I, Part 2, Chapter II, Part 1,..., Chapter III, Part 2?
Oh yes! I'm sorry.
What you're suggesting is exactly right. There are three chapters in the original, and for audiobook purposes I have broken each chapter into two parts. So yes, the scheme you have proposed is perfect.
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Sunrise2020 wrote: October 26th, 2021, 9:26 am PL of all sections if ok.

Congratulations on a very good solo recording of this haunting novel. I haven't listened to the other recordings of this book but your's is definitely an asset in the Librivox catalogue! :clap: :clap:
Thank you very much!
Conrad has made it very easy for someone like me to read. It's such an intrinsically powerful work — even if a rather grim way to conclude a holiday.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Great! I've changed the file titles that are on our server to reflect what I described above.