COMPLETE: A Magician Among the Spirits -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

A Magician Among the Spirits, by Harry Houdini (1874 - 1926)

This project is now complete.  All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/magician-among-the-spirits-by-harry-houdini/

Houdini, an escape artist and illusionist, became interested later in his life in debunking spiritualists, disbelieving anyone who claimed to have supernatural powers. This was during an era where paranormal phenomena, especially seances, were extremely popular. Although skeptical of their claims, he longed to find a credible source to communicate with family members he had lost. This book chronicles his travels and the many people he spoke with and his observations of their 'powers' and along the way also reveals many of the tricks they employed to deceive their paying customers. (Summary by Phyllis Vincelli)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/66451

Target completion date: 2021-12-15

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction

Keywords that describe the book: spiritualism, expose, psychics, supernatural claims

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of A Magician Among the Saints. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "A Magician Among the Saints, by Harry Houdini. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of A Magician Among the Saints, by Harry Houdini. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of A Magician Among the Saints, by Harry Houdini."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: magicianamongsaints_##_houdini_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. magicianamongsaints_01_houdini_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

DPL checking in :D
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

And we're off! 0 and 1 ready
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Busy weekend coming up, but should be able to get to these.
~ Larry
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

Question - there are many footnotes in this book, and sometimes there are 2 footnotes in one sentence. Normally, I read the footnote at the end of the sentence that it is in. When there are 2, do I just read them back to back, stating "FootnoteS" before the first one and then "End FootnoteS" at the end of the 2nd one?

I can tell this will be a laborious read. Lots of run-on sentences and lack of commas are making it difficult. I feel like I have to have the lung capacity of Houdini to read some of these sentences! :lol: However, I signed up to read this and I will plow through. He really should have stuck with his illusions though - a writer he is not :hmm:
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Phyllis. How or if you read the footnotes is up to you since this is a solo. I would only include those that add something of interest to the narrative. Also, depending on the content, I often just add the footnote into the text without the footnote/end footnote so it doesn't interrupt the flow as much.
Jo
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

I think I will ditch reading them altogether - some are quite lengthy and deviate quite a bit from his narrative. Plus I’m finding he will repeat facts in both spots - both the narrative and then in the footnote.

Larry - I will re-edit chapter 1 to remove the footnotes.
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

Ok, foot notes now removed from 1 and re-uploaded
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

2 and 3 now ready.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Section 1 is PL OK, except that I think I still had the original file with footnotes. Sounded fine to me, but he is a bit repetitious as you mentioned.

Fascinating introduction.
He was far more involved in spiritism than I had imagined. And, that conversation with Sarah Bernhardt was priceless!
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Section 2 is three raps of my big toe! :lol:
~ Larry
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

silverquill wrote: October 27th, 2021, 9:35 pm Section 2 is three raps of my big toe! :lol:
:lol:
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

4 and 5 ready!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Chapter 2 is PL OK.
Sounds like quite a show, but drawing blood?
~ Larry
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

Quiet week, so have a bunch more ready. 6-9.