[COMPLETE] The Reformation Collection Volume 3 - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

The Reformation Collection Volume 3, by Various

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-reformation-collection-volume-3-by-various/
This volume of the Reformation collection, begins with John Calvin's summary of the contents for the Bible from the preface to the Geneva Bible. Catherine Parr, last wife of Henry VIII, contributes her "Prayers or Meditations", intended as a shortened Protestant equivalent to <a href="https://librivox.org/author/1829" rel="nofollow">Thomas à Kempis'</a> The Imitation of Christ. Next come accounts of trials and martyrdoms: Walter Mill, the last martyr of Scotland, John Bradford, an anonymous account of Protestants in Norfolk and Suffolk to commissioners sent by Mary I, Hugh Latimer's examination as an old man and the execution of Henry Grey, father of Lady Jane Grey. Following these are a series of prayers: Lady Jane Grey, John Knox, Edward VI as well as Knox's instructions on prayer. Knox also gives instructions for Christian gatherings in a time of persecution and John Wycliffe gives a rule of conduct for Christians in various life circumstances. Tyndale's Prologues covers the gospel of Matthew and, more briefly, John. There follows a selection of Reformation thinking about the relationship between church and state: Thomas Cranmer's sermon during the so-called "Prayer Book Rebellion" (the sermon notes he presumably preached from are included), Luther urging peace during the Peasants' Revolt and Bullinger explaining that civil magistrates have the right to declare and fight wars (contrary to the pacifism of the Anabaptists).Next come treatises on various ethical questions: Peter Martyr's opinion of dancing, Martin Bucer on almsgiving, Wolfgang Musculus on usury. There follow two controversial matters - James Waddell Alexander writes a history of Calvin's involvement in the execution of Michael Servertus and showing that it had the universal support of the age in which he lived, rather than resulting from any personal animosity from Calvin. Then comes a controversial dialogue by Bernardino Ochino, ostensibly arguing against polygamy (Ochino himself appears as one half of the dialogue but makes close to no case against polygamy while his interlocuter is given twice the airtime) but in reality arguing for it, for which Ochino was exiled from Zurich. Calvin's letter to Edward Seymour (Lord Protector of England) comes next which includes his opinion on the Church of England Books of Homilies. Next come a series of resulting from struggles to coexist between Protestants and Roman Catholics (not least on the question of the sacraments), intersperced with a short biography of John Wicklyffe and Oecolampadius' sermon to teenagers, expounding the Apostles' Creed. This volume of the Reformation collection ends with an eyewitness account of the final days of Oecolampadius.

https://librivox.org/the-reformation-collection-volume-1-by-various/
https://librivox.org/the-reformation-collection-volume-2-by-various/ (Summary by InTheDesert)
Source text (please read only from this text!):

Target completion date: 2021-12-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

At the BEGINNING say: "[Title of Work], by [Author]" "This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit Librivox.org"
At the END, say: "End of [Title], by [Author]"
If you wish, you may also say: "Read by...your name."
There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: rc03_[number]_[shorttitle]_[authorsurname]_128kb.mp3

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by InTheDesert on September 29th, 2021, 7:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.
American Trials Vol. 3 95% 5 left!
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 93% 2 left!
Devotional Commentary: Apocalypse 85%
Emotions
PL pls: DPL DPL 43 27-28
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

My next historical collection is a spot check away from being catalogued so I'm back into the 16th century.

The 40 sections are filled out by multiple works from the following list of works (eg: there are several by John Knox from his collected works).
For easy copyright checks (it's horrible, I'm sorry), these are the unique works. If it makes it easier, all EEBO texts are by definition earlier than 1700 are are PD in the US.
The new additions to the catalogue are:
Emotions
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This is set up. I'll add the authors at some point - probably not today. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Marguerite de Navarre is in the author system already as Marguerite of Navarre.

The rest are entered.

Moving this to Going Solo...
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

TriciaG wrote: August 19th, 2021, 3:11 pm Marguerite de Navarre is in the author system already as Marguerite of Navarre.

The rest are entered.

Moving this to Going Solo...
Thanks Tricia! MW has been filled out. I realized that I never found a Wikiepdia article for section 30.
The guy is called John Banks and confusingly, he's not this guy (even though John Banks wrote letters to Jane Grey and the other John Banks wrote a play about her).

It's not PD, but p.78-79 here gives the fullest info I can find for him:
https://books.google.com/books?id=mNZxec42AhEC&pg=PA78

Could you add him as the last one for me?
Emotions
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

John Banks is entered. :)
justjennifer

Post by justjennifer »

I like the reformation! Raising my hand for DPL. :lol:
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Hooray!

We are off and running with the first two sections. There's more diversity in this volume than in the previous volumes. I'm trying to dig up more obscure things.
Emotions
justjennifer

Post by justjennifer »

Sections 10 and 13 are PL OK. Looking forward to the rest of the collection...
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

A couple more are up. I've recording 23 and 24 which I found fascinating but editing will take some time.
Emotions
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

I've swapped out the first section because
1) I realized I had something pre-recorded which I forgot to the last collection (the text had been oked for volume 2 but just in case https://archive.org/details/christendlawbei00calvgoog/page/n45/mode/2up)
2) The proposed text is a little bit too long for one section.
3) Since Elizabeth I was the translator (fascinating story), I think it deserves its own project so she gets credit in the catalogue.
Emotions
justjennifer

Post by justjennifer »

Section 16 is PL OK.

Section 17 PL note:

30:06 - sounds like there's a repetition of "the gospel"
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

justjennifer wrote: August 25th, 2021, 3:05 pm Section 16 is PL OK.

Section 17 PL note:

30:06 - sounds like there's a repetition of "the gospel"
Thanks. The repetition in section 17 is intentional and in the text so I've marked it PL OK.

A few more short ones are up. A bunch more are recorded but not yet edited.

In case you haven't got enough of your daily dose of the Reformation, there are some creeds that I've recorded which I can't PL myself from the same era. I particularly enjoyed the Scotch Confession and the Second Helvetic Confession
Emotions
justjennifer

Post by justjennifer »

InTheDesert wrote: August 28th, 2021, 11:20 pm
Thanks. The repetition in section 17 is intentional and in the text so I've marked it PL OK.
Got it - thanks for the clarification.
InTheDesert wrote: August 28th, 2021, 11:20 pm In case you haven't got enough of your daily dose of the Reformation, there are some creeds that I've recorded which I can't PL myself from the same era. I particularly enjoyed the Scotch Confession and the Second Helvetic Confession
Sure, I can jump over and listen.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

A few more are up. There's a warning about what to expect from Ochino in the first post summary. And I'm not entirely sure why John Bradford chose such a Dr. Seuss-style rhyme scheme and wordplay at such a solemn occasion:
the Pride of your Looks,
the Pride of your Locks,
the Pride of your Gate and Gesture,
the Pride of your Garb and Vesture,
the Pride of your outward Injoyments,
the Pride of your inward In∣dowments
Emotions