[COMPLETE] Upper Canada Sketches by Thomas Conant - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 16th, 2021, 5:59 pm

Upper Canada Sketches, by Thomas Conant (1842 - 1905)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/upper-canada-sketches-by-thomas-conant/
This book relates some of the history of the Conant family from its beginnings in England, to their emigration to what was to become Oshawa, Ontario in 1792, providing information about Upper Canada along the way. This book is especially interesting to the reader since it speaks a lot of the area near which she resides. (Summary by TriciaG)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/64749

Target completion date: 2021-12-31

Prooflistening level: Special
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Upper Canada Sketches. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Upper Canada Sketches, by Thomas Conant. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Upper Canada Sketches, by Thomas Conant. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Upper Canada Sketches, by Thomas Conant."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: uppercanadasketches_##_conant_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. uppercanadasketches_01_conant_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.

joyfulmn

Post by joyfulmn » August 16th, 2021, 8:51 pm

Hail, Hail, the gang's all here. :D

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 18th, 2021, 10:05 am

And we're off! Preface and chapter 1 are up.

I've recorded chapter 2 and might sneak it in before you download. ;)

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 18th, 2021, 11:39 am

Chapter 2 uploading.

Where the section talks about lots 28-31 broken front, etc., Courtice Road is on the boundary between lots 28 & 29, so his parcel stretched from about there, back to a little into Darlington Provincial Park just east of the GM headquarters south of the 401. The 401 runs through his parcel. :)

(Baseline is... well, the base line. Broken Front lots are those south of Baseline and run to the lake shoreline. The first concession is from Baseline north to Bloor Street. Probably too much info, but I looked it up and thought I'd share anyway. ;))

joyfulmn

Post by joyfulmn » August 18th, 2021, 7:19 pm

Sections 0, 1 and 2 PL OK :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

I was surprised to hear so much about US history but, well, that's where he lived. ;-)
It was good to hear those accounts of General Washington and others. Butler, on the other hand, I had to back up and find out if I actually heard what I thought I did. I won't comment. :evil:

And, no, not too much information. Almost enough... I want to see a map of the area... don't suppose it's a cycling route. :lol:

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 19th, 2021, 11:18 am

Yes, Butler was a butcher. There were no such things as "war crimes" back then. :cry:

Two more chapters up.

Chapter 3: I can't place Bluff Point, where the Hudson's Bay Company trading post was located. I know where the Port of Oshawa is, but I can't think of any "point" between that and Conant's land.

Chapter 4: The highway mentioned around 6 minutes in, is probably Highway 2.

Harmony Tavern, and the innkeeper Moode Farewell: There's a Farewell Creek that runs close to Harmony Road, which is an exit off the 401.

Lynde's Tavern: there's a Lynde's Creek and Lynde Shores Conservation Area on the east side of Whitby.

joyfulmn

Post by joyfulmn » August 19th, 2021, 8:55 pm

Chapters 3 & 4 PL OK :thumbs: :thumbs:

Thanks for the details. That makes it even more fun.

I noticed you know how to pronounce Quebec. Some readers wouldn't. :lol:

I wonder if there will be a place to note where a listener can go to look at the photos mentioned. Perhaps in the description with a link to Project Gutenberg of whatever??? Just a thought.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 23rd, 2021, 8:58 am

Next chapter is uploading now. :)

Yes, good idea about including info on where to find the illustrations. I didn't realize he referred to them so often.

joyfulmn

Post by joyfulmn » August 23rd, 2021, 11:51 am

Chapter 5 PL OK :thumbs:

I'm glad to be able to relate to the salmon. :)

It appears climate warming is nothing new :lol:

I cannot imagine how dreadful it would be to be left alone (with two small children although that responsibility could help) in a dark cabin, surrounded by dense forest and hungry wolves lurking about. <shudder>

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 31st, 2021, 3:13 pm

Next section is up - the longest one of the book.

The place between Bowmanville and Oshawa where the guy died is (I assume) along Highway 2, east of Courtice Road. There's nothing to see there now but Hwy 418. :roll: And I can't find a lot map of Whitby to determine around where he was buried.

joyfulmn

Post by joyfulmn » August 31st, 2021, 5:46 pm

Chapter 6 PL OK :thumbs:

Oh, soooo much to mention. This is one that would be so fun to be together to listen and make comments.

The one thing I will say... If some of those people could come back today, overlooking all the technological and mechanical advances but just mentioning the infrastructure, how overwhelmed they would be. Like the 401 and 418 covering so much of their wooded land.
I did enjoy that the trek from Oshawa to Bowmanville was generally made by foot or horseback because the "roads" were too bad to sustain wheeled conveyances.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » September 1st, 2021, 2:12 pm

Next chapter is up.

The Ebenezer Church in Darlington - there's still an Ebenezer United Church at the corner of Courtice Road & Bloor Street. :)

The Millerite stuff reminded me of the Great Disappointment in the States, but according to Wikipedia, that happened October 22, 1844 - 8 months later. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Disappointment But it was the same Miller guy.

joyfulmn

Post by joyfulmn » September 2nd, 2021, 11:04 am

Chapter 7 PL OK :thumbs:

Very interesting about the Great Disappointment and origin of SDA. I'm learning alot from this book. :)

If we ever get to come there again it would be fun to go through the book and check out some locations in person.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » September 2nd, 2021, 11:39 am

Next chapter up. I was editing when your last post came in. :lol:

Jesse & Captain Trull - there's a Trulls Road in Courtice. When I bike that way, I take that road down towards the lake.

Major Wilmot - There's a Wilmot Creek and the Samuel Wilmot Nature Area by Newcastle. One of my geocaches was hidden in that nature area.

"Just south from where Morgan's grocery store now is." Hmm, I don't think so. ;)

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » September 3rd, 2021, 8:38 am

And for the record, that might be it for the next week or so. K did still take off all next week. I might record if he goes for a bike ride, though.