COMPLETE: Delia by Samuel Daniel -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
maryam1arabi

Post by maryam1arabi »

Delia, by Samuel Daniel (1562 - 1619)

This project is now complete.  All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/delia-by-samuel-daniel/

Delia (1592) is a cycle of Petrarchan love sonnets written by Renaissance poet Samuel Daniel (1562-1619). He was also a noted playwright and historian, and a close contemporary of Ben Jonson and William Shakespeare. Delia may have influenced Shakespeare’s sonnets.
This project contains the first 30 sonnets from the collection "Delia". (Summary by Dr Alan Weber)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/delia00consgoog/page/n10/mode/2up

Target completion date: 2021-08-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Poetry/Sonnets

Keywords that describe the book: love, renaissance, pain, sonnet cycle, seperation, petrarchan poetry

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Sonnets 1-30 of Delia. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Sonnets 1-30 of Delia, by Samuel Daniel. Sonnet 1."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shorter disclaimer we use for poems:
"Sonnet # of Delia, by Samuel Daniel. Read for LibriVox.org by your name."]
End of recording:
Say:
"End of poem #."This recording is in the public domain."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Sonnets 1-30 of Delia, by Samuel Daniel."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: delia_##_daniel_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. delia_01_daniel_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by maryam1arabi on August 6th, 2021, 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

maryam1arabi wrote: August 1st, 2021, 11:50 am Dear Librivox team,

I would like to introduce you to our project. Students from Weill Cornell Medicine – Qatar (a U.S. medical school in the Middle East) recorded high-quality spoken poetry in soundproof rooms at Northwestern University in Qatar with the support of the Qatar National Library to contribute to the Librivox project. We would really appreciate it if you could help us find a Meta-Coordinator and proof listeners.

This project is a sonnet cycle by Samuel Danielle called "Delia", which is not recorded in the Librivox catalog. Please find below the code from the Project Template Generator.

The first 30 sonnets have already been recorded and are currently being edited. We are familiar with the process of uploading audio files to the Magic Window.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Maryam Arabi
Premedical Student and
Alan Weber
Professor of English
Weill Cornell Medicine – Qatar
Doha, Qatar
H Maryam,

I can MC this project for you. Just to make sure I understand, please confirm that you will be the BC and Nuran Bayraktar who wrote the summary will be reading the poems. Once I hear back from you, I will can set this up in the database and add the MW to the first post.

Jo
Jo
maryam1arabi

Post by maryam1arabi »

Hello Jo,
Thank you for picking up this project. Yes, I will gladly be the BC and Nuran will be reading the sonnets. Below is the link to the e-book that Nuran read from for your kind reference:
https://archive.org/details/delia00consgoog/page/n44/mode/2up
Thank you once again and looking forward to it!
Maryam
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

I've set up the project, but Nuran will need to register on the forum, and then I will need to know his username and by what name he would like to be credited in the catalog. At that point he can be added to the database as a new reader.

I see you have indicated a total of 31 sections. From what I can tell there are more like 57 sonnets in the text you have linked. Will this then be a selection of poems from the text you have linked? If so, then the poetry disclaimer can be used, and we can change the title of the project to reflect that better.
Jo
maryam1arabi

Post by maryam1arabi »

Hello Jo,
knotyouraveragejo wrote: August 5th, 2021, 5:02 pm I've set up the project, but Nuran will need to register on the forum, and then I will need to know his username and by what name he would like to be credited in the catalog. At that point he can be added to the database as a new reader.
Yes, Nuran has already created an account on Librivox, and I can assign her to all the poems that are in the project. She would like to be credited as "Nuran Bayraktar" in the catalog.
knotyouraveragejo wrote: August 5th, 2021, 5:02 pmI see you have indicated a total of 31 sections. From what I can tell there are more like 57 sonnets in the text you have linked. Will this then be a selection of poems from the text you have linked? If so, then the poetry disclaimer can be used, and we can change the title of the project to reflect that better.
For this project, Nuran recorded the first 30 sonnets of the collection. My apologies, I should have made that clearer in the title. How can I change it?

Thank you for your help!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

In the top left of the the first post, there is an icon that looks like a pencil. If you click on that you can edit the post. In the description, you can indicate that this is the first 30 sonnets and the introduction. Once you make the changes, I will update the database entry.
Jo
maryam1arabi

Post by maryam1arabi »

Done. Please let me know if any more information is needed.
Maryam
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

It would be helpful to have the durations for the additonal uploaded files...:)
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

You got started here before I had a chance to edit the disclaimers for a poetry project.

PL Notes for sections 0-1

Please copy and paste all of section 0 at the beginning of section 1 and then delete the short disclaimer from section 1. Then section 0 can be deleted from the MW.

In other words, the long disclaimer should be on the first file of the project which in this case is the first actual poem you recorded. So section 1 should have the long disclaimer not the poetry one which can then used for all the rest.

@00:08-00.13 too long a gap - shorten this silence down from >5 sec to ~ 0.5 sec

PL Note for section 2
Again there is too much time (~3 sec) between the disclaimer @ 00:074 and the start of the poem @00:10.2 - please shorten it to ~ 0.5 sec

Otherwise the poems are well read. I look forward to listening to the rest. If you have questions about the notes, just let me know...
Jo
maryam1arabi

Post by maryam1arabi »

Hello Jo,
knotyouraveragejo wrote: August 7th, 2021, 1:09 pm Please copy and paste all of section 0 at the beginning of section 1 and then delete the short disclaimer from section 1. Then section 0 can be deleted from the MW.

In other words, the long disclaimer should be on the first file of the project which in this case is the first actual poem you recorded. So section 1 should have the long disclaimer not the poetry one which can then used for all the rest.
My apologies but I am still a bit confused. So for the first poem, does it not need its own disclaimer? Do I just put the long disclaimer and delete the short one?
@00:08-00.13 too long a gap - shorten this silence down from >5 sec to ~ 0.5 sec
Sure, I can do that for this poem and all the rest.

Maryam
maryam1arabi

Post by maryam1arabi »

I shortened the length for all the poems and they are ready for proof listening. As for the introduction and first sonnet, I will fix them as soon as I get more clarification.
Thank you in advance.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Thanks, Maryam.

I decided the easiest way to clarify what I meant was by editing the current section 01 file as I suggested - we can use this one or you can similarly edit your original and reupload with the original filename.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/delia_01_daniel_128kb_ex.mp3
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Poems 3-14 are PL OK

Poem 15 @00:33 "if" is missing from the stanza "If I have done due homage to her eyes"

Will try to finish the rest tomorrow...
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Poems 26, 27, 29 & 30 still have a several second gap between the intro and the start of the poem. I will leave it up to you if you wish to fix this like the others.

16-25 & 28 are PL OK.
Jo
maryam1arabi

Post by maryam1arabi »

Hello Jo,
Thank you for your comments.
knotyouraveragejo wrote: August 8th, 2021, 2:55 pm Thanks, Maryam.

I decided the easiest way to clarify what I meant was by editing the current section 01 file as I suggested - we can use this one or you can similarly edit your original and reupload with the original filename.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/delia_01_daniel_128kb_ex.mp3
Understood. I edited from my side and uploaded it. Please let me know if it is now ok.
knotyouraveragejo wrote: August 8th, 2021, 10:03 pm Poems 3-14 are PL OK

Poem 15 @00:33 "if" is missing from the stanza "If I have done due homage to her eyes"

Will try to finish the rest tomorrow...
I added the "if" @0:33 of Poem 15.
knotyouraveragejo wrote: August 9th, 2021, 2:13 pm Poems 26, 27, 29 & 30 still have a several second gap between the intro and the start of the poem. I will leave it up to you if you wish to fix this like the others.

16-25 & 28 are PL OK.
Done!

All the edited poems are now ready for Spot PL. Please let me know if anything else needs modifying.
Thank you!
Maryam