COMPLETE [History] Men of Iron by Howard Pyle-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

Men of Iron, by Howard Pyle

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/men-of-iron-by-howard-pyle-2/
"The year 1400 opened with more than usual peacefulness in England. Only a few months before, Richard II—weak, wicked, and treacherous—had been dethroned, and Henry IV declared King in his stead. But it was only a seeming peacefulness, lasting but for a little while; for though King Henry proved himself a just and a merciful man—as justice and mercy went with the men of iron of those days—and though he did not care to shed blood needlessly, there were many noble families who had been benefited by King Richard during his reign, and who had lost somewhat of their power and prestige from the coming in of the new King.

...Their plan had been to fall upon the King and his adherents, and to massacre them during a great tournament, to be held at Oxford. But Henry did not appear at the lists; whereupon, knowing that he had been lodging at Windsor with only a few attendants, the conspirators marched thither against him. In the mean time the King had been warned of the plot, so that, instead of finding him in the royal castle, they discovered through their scouts that he had hurried to London, whence he was even then marching against them at the head of a considerable army. So nothing was left them but flight. Some betook themselves one way, some another; some sought sanctuary here, some there; but one and another, they were all of them caught and killed.

The Earl of Kent—one time Duke of Surrey—and the Earl of Salisbury were beheaded in the market-place at Cirencester; Lord Le Despencer—once the Earl of Gloucester—and Lord Lumley met the same fate at Bristol; the Earl of Huntingdon was taken in the Essex fens, carried to the castle of the Duke of Gloucester, whom he had betrayed to his death in King Richard's time, and was there killed by the castle people. Those few who found friends faithful and bold enough to afford them shelter, dragged those friends down in their own ruin.

Just such a case was that of the father of the boy hero of this story, the blind Lord Gilbert Reginald Falworth, Baron of Falworth and Easterbridge, who, though having no part in the plot, suffered through it ruin, utter and complete..." (Taken from the Introduction) (Summary by Mozarjr)
Source text https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1557
Color coded scripts: (Google Docs) (please read only from this text!): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JcwYwvMt96_eGmApwEIMGJv6mVJ5vGbNU9aC2XCXd4A/edit?usp=sharing

==============================
Note to potential editors:

Thank you Everyone! I can't tell you how happy I was to check in today and see several offers of help!

I've got the sections sorted so all the parts for each chapter are together, so you can see how complex the editing may be (or at least, how many files you are going to need to manipulate).

I'd prefer not to assign chapters to editors ... I'd rather have you pick what you work on.

So .... pick any chapter that says "editor needed" and tell me that you want to edit it. I'll then make a note in the MW that you are working on that chapter (so we don't get duplicates).

Please don't worry about credits ... I'll go through and create the cast list once all the chapters have been edited.

If you have any trouble ... missing parts, or missing lines, just post and I'll work out what we can do about it at this stage. Some of these parts were recorded over 2 years ago, so we may have to make due if the reader is no longer around ...

And again, thank you editors, one and all, for your help on this!
==============================================

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per act. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character, read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Act # of Men of Iron, by Howard Pyle. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
At the end of each file say:
"End of Act #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Men of Iron, by Howard Pyle."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: menofiron_role_#.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. menofiron_romeo_1.mp3)
For final files: menofiron_#_pyle_128kb.mp3 where # is the act number. (e.g. menofiron_1_pyle_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: maryannspiegel

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.

BC: Mozartjr
MC: MaryAnnSpeigel
DPL: wib66
Editors: Mozartjr, (wib66, and MrsHand if needed)
Narrator: RitaBoutros
Last edited by Mozartjr on August 17th, 2022, 7:02 am, edited 8 times in total.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Mozart,
I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, your MW is ready to fill in with chapter titles. Word counts for each chapter are optional, but sometimes it does help to find readers if they can see how long a chapter is before they claim.

Also, when you filled out the new project template, you picked the option for a dramatic work. It should have been a "group". We have different templates for different types of projects so this means you had the wrong language in the first post. I've switched out the language so it now works as a group. Please just watch that next time you fill out the template.

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, I've heard from Mozart, and this was a misunderstanding on my part. This is actually a dramatic reading. So we'll take a bit of time to get the first post changed back to the correct format, make sure scripts are prepared and work through the MW set up.

Until all is arranged, no reader claims please ...

MaryAnn
AnaNaumoska

Post by AnaNaumoska »

Hello hello, should you need a proof listener, I'll be more than happy to DPL this one :)

Cheers
°°
Ana :mrgreen:

salus populi suprema lex
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

Yes, we will! Thank you, Ana! :clap: It will be some time, though, before there will be anything ready to PL; I still need to get scripts ready...
Mozartjr.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Mozart,
I am going to move this thread over to "book suggestions" while you are preparing the scripts and the MW. When everything is ready for readers to make claims, we can move it back to the launch pad.
MaryAnn
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

:thumbs:
gracenfisk224

Post by gracenfisk224 »

Hey guys! I'm so honored to be your narrator. @MozartJr I see you've claimed a role, how fun! :clap: I just thought I'd ask: how would you pronounce your character's name? I have read this book before a couple years ago, but I didn't use an audiobook (That's what we're here for!) Please advise and thanks!
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

gracenfisk224 wrote: August 25th, 2021, 1:02 pm Hey guys! I'm so honored to be your narrator. @MozartJr I see you've claimed a role, how fun! :clap: I just thought I'd ask: how would you pronounce your character's name? I have read this book before a couple years ago, but I didn't use an audiobook (That's what we're here for!) Please advise and thanks!
Hi Gracen,
I'm pretty sure it's pronounced like gas-coin. Not 100% sure, but that's how they pronounce it in the collaborative version of the book https://librivox.org/men-of-iron-by-howard-pyle/
I've been working on the scripts, and they should be finished and uploaded shortly.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Mozart,
Please let me know when you have the scripts completed and are ready to open this project for claims.

I suggest that you add a section at the bottom of the MW for each of the completed chapters. You can add a link to the script for each chapter in the corresponding MW section for the completed chapter.

MaryAnn
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

Will do! :thumbs: they are almost ready.
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: August 28th, 2021, 7:48 pm Mozart,
Please let me know when you have the scripts completed and are ready to open this project for claims.

I suggest that you add a section at the bottom of the MW for each of the completed chapters. You can add a link to the script for each chapter in the corresponding MW section for the completed chapter.

MaryAnn
Scripts are ready!!!! Finally! So sorry they took so long... DRs are time consuming! I suppose next time before I start a DR I should script the book before starting :? :?
What is the next step? Do I post the scripts, or do I give you the link where you are the one who does that?
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

LOL, yes, there is a lot of work for a DR!

Why don't you edit the first post, and insert links to the scripts right after the paragraph that says "read only from this text". I'll then check the links you posted (to make sure I can open them all), and then we will be ready to move to readers wanted.

MaryAnn
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: September 1st, 2021, 8:23 pm LOL, yes, there is a lot of work for a DR!

Why don't you edit the first post, and insert links to the scripts right after the paragraph that says "read only from this text". I'll then check the links you posted (to make sure I can open them all), and then we will be ready to move to readers wanted.

MaryAnn
I added in the scripts, and am almost finished with the MW, rearranging the characters and adding in the finished chapter sections.