(Complete) The Wishing-Stone Stories by Thornton W. Burgess - m8b1

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JudeSomers

Post by JudeSomers »

The Wishing-Stone Stories, by Thornton W. Burgess (1874 - 1965)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-wishing-stone-stories-by-thornton-w-burgess-2/

Volunteers outside the USA: Thornton W. Burgess died in 1965. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
to be written when reading is complete (Summary by Jude Somers)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/files/63417/63417-h/63417-h.htm

Target completion date: 2021-11-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Wishing-Stone Stories. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Wishing-Stone Stories, by Thornton W. Burgess. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Wishing-Stone Stories, by Thornton W. Burgess. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Wishing-Stone Stories, by Thornton W. Burgess."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: wishingstonestories_##_burgess_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. wishingstonestories_01_burgess_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: m8b1

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
......................................................................................

"With gratitude, optimism is sustainable."
Michael J. Fox
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Hi Jude,

I'll MC this for you ~ the MW is all set!

Do you have a DPL lined up, or do we need to advertise for one?
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
JudeSomers

Post by JudeSomers »

I don’t have a DPL so yes please, can we advertise for someone?

Jude
......................................................................................

Michael J. Fox
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Hi Jude,

I've added the ~ to the thread title, which means we need a DPL, and when you have a section ready to listen to, we can advertise for a DPL in Listeners Wanted. :-)
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

Hello, Jude.

Do you still need a DPL? This sounds like a sweet little book I'd very much enjoy listening to. :D

Thanks!
Jasna

Second to the right and then straight on till morning.
JudeSomers

Post by JudeSomers »

I do not so why don’t we give it a try. I should be posting the first chapter next week.

thanks
Jude Somers

Michael J. Fox
Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

That's lovely. Thank you so much! :D
Jasna

m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

DPL added, and over to Going Solo!
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

Thank you so much, Maria! :9:
Jasna

JudeSomers

Post by JudeSomers »

Okay, Section 1 Chapter 1 (length 22:23) is uploaded and ready to PL.

https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/wishingstonestories_11_burgess_128kb.mp3

This book is one of those organized into sections & chapters. There are 3 sections with different titles then 4 chapters in each section ... so a total of 12 files. How would you prefer them to be numbered? I looked at the compilation version and although the readers do read the full section title / chapter title info, the files themselves look like they're numbered from 1 to 12 (which seems the most logical, certainly for the listeners).

This one as you can see is labelled as 11 but I can easily reupload a version with whatever numbering sequence is deemed best and will follow that for the rest of the reads.

By the by, this is a very fun book to read. What's not to like about a boy turning into animals and learning about life that way :thumbs:

cheers
Jude

Michael J. Fox
JudeSomers

Post by JudeSomers »

In fact, when I thought more about it, I realized that of course it makes more sense to number the files 01 through 12 as usual. Way too confusing otherwise. So I re-numbered the beast and re-uploaded it with the right metadata and such.

https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/wishingstonestories_01_burgess_128kb.mp3

Hope this initial confusing isn't too much of a pain. I promise to be less trouble as we move on :D

Jude

JudeSomers wrote: July 31st, 2021, 1:45 pm Okay, Section 1 Chapter 1 (length 22:23) is uploaded and ready to PL.

This book is one of those organized into sections & chapters. There are 3 sections with different titles then 4 chapters in each section ... so a total of 12 files. How would you prefer them to be numbered? I looked at the compilation version and although the readers do read the full section title / chapter title info, the files themselves look like they're numbered from 1 to 12 (which seems the most logical, certainly for the listeners).

This one as you can see is labelled as 11 but I can easily reupload a version with whatever numbering sequence is deemed best and will follow that for the rest of the reads.

By the by, this is a very fun book to read. What's not to like about a boy turning into animals and learning about life that way :thumbs:

cheers
Jude

Michael J. Fox
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Hi Jude,

Edit: typing at the same time, yes 01-12 like a regular project please!

Also, please either say "Section 1" or "Part 1, Chapter 1", etc at the very beginning of the file as the intro lays out.
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

JudeSomers wrote: July 31st, 2021, 1:45 pm Okay, Section 1 Chapter 1 (length 22:23) is uploaded and ready to PL.

cheers
Jude
Thank you, Jude. I plan to Pl tomorrow. This books promises to be fun! :9:
Jasna

JudeSomers

Post by JudeSomers »

m8b1 wrote: July 31st, 2021, 1:58 pm Hi Jude,

Edit: typing at the same time, yes 01-12 like a regular project please!

Also, please either say "Section 1" or "Part 1, Chapter 1", etc at the very beginning of the file as the intro lays out.

The confusing part about the instructions for me is what to do with the actual section title. The intro starts to feel longer than the chapter. As an example, can the intro for file 05 then be:

“Part two Chapter one of ‘Tommy and the Wishing-Stone’ by Thornton W. Burgess.
This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. Recording by Jude Somers.
Part two Chapter one ‘why Peter Rabbit has one less enemy’ “

I’m ready to read it however the decision goes … just want to be consistent.

Jude (waiting with her microphone)

Michael J. Fox
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Hi Jude,

You don't need to repeat "Section" or "Part/Chapter" in the second spot, you can just put the actual chapter title there. Same thing with the 1st section.

So either like this:
""Section 2 of The Wishing-Stone Stories, by Thornton W. Burgess. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Why Peter Rabbit has one less enemy.""
Or like this:
"Part 1, Chapter 2 of The Wishing-Stone Stories, by Thornton W. Burgess. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Why Peter Rabbit has one less enemy."
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks