[COMPLETE] Lo, Michael! by Grace Livingston Hill - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
northstar95

Post by northstar95 »

Lo, Michael!, by Grace Livingston Hill (1865 - 1947)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/lo-michael-by-grace-livingston-hill/
Grace Livingston Hill's love for humankind shines through her character's journey to manhood. Mickey, a young newsboy, saves the life of heiress Starr Endicott by taking a gunman's bullet himself. To show his gratitude, Starr's father sends the boy off to school where he studies law. Then he returns to the inner city to help his friends. Through the years he has held Starr in his heart but refuses to intrude on her life. Suddenly he learns she's in danger--a danger she has unwittingly chosen. Can he save her again? Should he? (Summary by Goodreads)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/9816

Target completion date: 2022-03-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: afbKx2yE
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Livingston_Hill (Grace Livingston Hill)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 29
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1913
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project: Religious Fiction/Christian Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: fiction, christian fiction, christian romance

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Lo, Michael!. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Lo, Michael!, by Grace Livingston Hill. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Lo, Michael!, by Grace Livingston Hill. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Lo, Michael!, by Grace Livingston Hill."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: lomichael_##_livingstonhill_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. lomichael_01_livingstonhill_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: icequeen

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I can MC this one for you! Back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, your MW is ready for you. We will wait here a day or two to see if we can pick up a DPL. Also, we can't use a summary that comes from Goodreads, you can either write your own or adapt one from Wikipedia if there is one. Anything on Goodreads is copyrighted, so that is a no go.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
northstar95

Post by northstar95 »

icequeen wrote: July 25th, 2021, 4:47 pm OK, your MW is ready for you. We will wait here a day or two to see if we can pick up a DPL. Also, we can't use a summary that comes from Goodreads, you can either write your own or adapt one from Wikipedia if there is one. Anything on Goodreads is copyrighted, so that is a no go.
I was afraid that might be the case - might have to come back to this, how do I go in and change it?
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Would be happy to DPL this :)
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

northstar95 wrote: July 25th, 2021, 7:01 pm
icequeen wrote: July 25th, 2021, 4:47 pm OK, your MW is ready for you. We will wait here a day or two to see if we can pick up a DPL. Also, we can't use a summary that comes from Goodreads, you can either write your own or adapt one from Wikipedia if there is one. Anything on Goodreads is copyrighted, so that is a no go.
I was afraid that might be the case - might have to come back to this, how do I go in and change it?
You can write it at anytime while you are recording, some readers wait until the end when they have a good idea of the story. As far as changing it, you can just post it in the thread in its post. I keep an eye on all projects that I MC, so when I see it, I will paste it on the project page in the workflow.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

jennlea wrote: July 25th, 2021, 7:22 pm Would be happy to DPL this :)

That would be great! Thanks Jenn!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
northstar95

Post by northstar95 »

Thanks to you both -- I will come back to the summary at a later point and I have filled in the chapter #'s in the MW.

I was in my favorite paperback shop here in Minnesota a couple weeks ago and saw a whole bunch of Grace Livingston Hill, so that's where I got the idea as I didn't realize some of her work is PD.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

northstar95 wrote: July 26th, 2021, 7:38 am Thanks to you both -- I will come back to the summary at a later point and I have filled in the chapter #'s in the MW.

I was in my favorite paperback shop here in Minnesota a couple weeks ago and saw a whole bunch of Grace Livingston Hill, so that's where I got the idea as I didn't realize some of her work is PD.

Great place for ideas! I usually check the bibliography of non-fiction for ideas as well. Especially when the author says that they used a book from the 1800's are part of their research.

Off we go to Going Solo!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
northstar95

Post by northstar95 »

And we're underway! Chapter 1 is ready for PL.
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Great work on Chapter 1, Brian! Can't wait to hear more!

Just one tiny fix in the intro disclaimer:

0:19- Missing "Chapter 1" in the phrase "Lo, Michael!, by Grace Livingston Hill. Chapter 1..."
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
northstar95

Post by northstar95 »

Thanks Jenn; this is re-uploaded. I didn't think I needed to say "chapter 1" again since the chapters don't have titles.
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Chapter 1 is PL-OK!

Hmm, I've always listened for and recorded the section or chapter number/title at the end of the disclaimer right before the actual text starts. Maybe Ann could confirm whether or not it is necessary.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I think it depends on the project. For projects that have just, "Chapter #" in the MW, then yes, it is necessary. For those that don't have that, but have the title of the chapter, then I think it is up to the BC. I prefer in my projects to have "Chapter #," and I have mostly put that into my recordings, but, again, it is up to the BC how they want their project set up.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
northstar95

Post by northstar95 »

And chapter 2 is now ready for PL!